Raw Diet

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Why? It's not going to work, and you know it's not healthy. (That sounds just like "stupid", sorry, imo.) Why not do something healthy that is also going to work, and start now?

Whoa whoa whoa! Eating raw isn't healthy?! Somehow I think veggies, legumes, fruit and nuts are all incredibly healthy.

Raw legumes aren't healthy at all.

Plus, how would you chew them?
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! I think... No... I know this would be way too drastic for me. The question I have is....do you think it's too drastic? I mean this nicely, but it sounds like you're just willing to do anything and everything, even if it means eating nothing but raw foods to hit your goal. And I totally get that! LOL! But you really don't have to do it this way. If you think it's pushing things too far, then just stick to a deficit and the rest will come off.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I think I would miss cooked meat and fish and warm food in the winter. I dunno. It's up to you, people do it and feel good on it, so really it has to do whether you like it or not. It always reminds me that one of the most important historical reasons for humans living longer was because we learned to cook our food. But I DO know that's because they would eat raw meat and die from food poisoning. I'm guessing you are not doing that.

Um.. may I ask a question? I'm the same height as you so I was wondering if 180 lb is your final goal or an intermediate one?

Congrats on your weight loss, it's really impressive.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If you really enjoy eating raw, by all means do continue... But remember to eat enough!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Why? It's not going to work, and you know it's not healthy. (That sounds just like "stupid", sorry, imo.) Why not do something healthy that is also going to work, and start now?

Whoa whoa whoa! Eating raw isn't healthy?! Somehow I think veggies, legumes, fruit and nuts are all incredibly healthy.

People eating raw sprout legumes, which makes them chewable.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Eating raw veggies and fruits would cause a cleanse for me... A painful and horrible cleanse of my colon
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Im 5'6. My starting weight was 245.6lbs. Today is weigh in day so not sure where im at but my last weigh in i was at 205lbs. ive recently started a raw diet cleanse duration; 10 days. Today is day 4. Anyone else tried this before? how was it? Success stories? Im thinking of trying to stay on it til i reach my goal weight of 180. Is that too drastic? I know their are alot of people that will be like its not healthy, i trully understand just wanna know sense im obviously "obese" why not try and get the last few off and work on maintaining...

I had some vegan friends who went raw. Not for weight loss, but for alleged health benefits. They found eat raw to be a pain, did not see the expected benefits, and found it unpleasant once the weather turned cold.

I agree with the recommendation that you use this time to develop eating habits that you will continue once you hit your goal weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Oh! So, there are actually some that you can chew, and it's not like people are buying the lentil in bulk and trying to eat them that way?

That's good news.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Somehow I think veggies, legumes, fruit and nuts are all incredibly healthy.

Foods aren't really healthy or unhealthy in isolation, diets are healthy or unhealthy. You can create a diet with only "healthy" foods that is horribly unhealthy - for example, one that is deficient in vitamins or protein. The more restrictive the diet, the more you need to very carefully plan how you will get your various nutrients.

If you had a B12 deficiency, for example, a fast food triple cheeseburger is healthier for you than a salad - because it actually helps do something for your vitamin deficiency.

Mostly when people call a particular food "healthy" or "unhealthy", they mean a person with an average western diet would improve their diet by increasing/decreasing consumption of this food respectively. That doesn't mean a diet consisting of only "healthy" foods is necessarily a healthy diet.
  • pirate_john_75
    pirate_john_75 Posts: 96 Member
    Options

Slowly and painfully.
  • kristn__
    kristn__ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    The way I look at weight loss is this: It is my time to be (re)training myself on how to eat for the rest of my life. How to cook tasty and healthy food, how to choose appropriate portions. How to eat to satisfaction rather than to "full." How to survive holiday parties, temptations, office doughnuts. How to eat out at a restaurant, or as a guest in someone's home. It's my time to learn how my body reacts to certain foods, to learn my personal patterns of gain/loss (for example, high sodium meals pack on water weight but it comes off fast; and, I like a lot of women, gain several pounds in the week leading up to my period, etc). I get this time to figure out what exercises I like and which ones I despise, and to teach myself when to worry about weight gains and when to NOT PANIC. All this in preparation for the rest of my life, so that when I reached my goal, I had a firm foundation under me. I don't intend to do this again. I have yo-yo'd for close to half of my adult life, and I'm done. This time is the time I get it right, this is the time I learn all the things I just mentioned, this is the time I get my head around it and understand what goes on with my body.

So. Raw diet? Cleanse? These are yo-yo, fad-diet, RUN AWAY words. It's not something you can sustain for life. It won't teach you much about the things I mentioned above. So I know you feel kind of anxious to get the weight off, and you want it off as fast as possible, but really unless you want to be back here in 3 months, or 6, or a year or two years posting an "I'm back, starting over" post, you're going to be MUCH better served by taking the doable, sensible, realistic approach and learning some things instead of falling for yet another gimmick.

^^ This! Exactly this.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Raw CAN be healthy--it depends on exactly what you are doing. The "cleanse" part gives me pause. What exactly are you eating?

There are several big challenges with raw:

1. Getting enough protein can be a difficult.
    2. It involves an enormous amount of preparation. I grow a lot of my own food, can/freeze and cook most things from scratch, but I still look at my friends who eat raw and my reaction to the amount of time they spend on food preparation is NOPE NOPE NOPE.
    3. It is really hard to maintain a raw diet if you have to do any traveling. There are some amazing raw restaurants out there, but they aren't exactly on every street corner.
    4. Everyone that I know who has done a raw diet immediately gains back a ton of weight as soon as they quit eating raw. I have a friend who did a raw diet for 5 years. As soon as she quit, she gained back 40 pounds in the blink of an eye.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

Eating raw can be healthy but it takes an insane amount of time and money to hit your macros. I have many healthy friends who have been raw 5+ years. They do eat cooked quinoa for protein here and there. How do YOU know what will or won't work or what is healthy for someone else's life.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    The way I look at weight loss is this: It is my time to be (re)training myself on how to eat for the rest of my life. How to cook tasty and healthy food, how to choose appropriate portions. How to eat to satisfaction rather than to "full." How to survive holiday parties, temptations, office doughnuts. How to eat out at a restaurant, or as a guest in someone's home. It's my time to learn how my body reacts to certain foods, to learn my personal patterns of gain/loss (for example, high sodium meals pack on water weight but it comes off fast; and, I like a lot of women, gain several pounds in the week leading up to my period, etc). I get this time to figure out what exercises I like and which ones I despise, and to teach myself when to worry about weight gains and when to NOT PANIC. All this in preparation for the rest of my life, so that when I reached my goal, I had a firm foundation under me. I don't intend to do this again. I have yo-yo'd for close to half of my adult life, and I'm done. This time is the time I get it right, this is the time I learn all the things I just mentioned, this is the time I get my head around it and understand what goes on with my body.

So. Raw diet? Cleanse? These are yo-yo, fad-diet, RUN AWAY words. It's not something you can sustain for life. It won't teach you much about the things I mentioned above. So I know you feel kind of anxious to get the weight off, and you want it off as fast as possible, but really unless you want to be back here in 3 months, or 6, or a year or two years posting an "I'm back, starting over" post, you're going to be MUCH better served by taking the doable, sensible, realistic approach and learning some things instead of falling for yet another gimmick.

my best friend has been raw for 5 years.. wouldn't consider that a fad or a yo yo diet. and he plans on sustaining it for the rest of his life. His dr monitors his health and nutrient intake and he's healthy and not deficient in any vitamin.. oh he is also a pro athlete... but you know.. yo yo fad diet that isn't healthy.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

my best friend has been raw for 5 years.. wouldn't consider that a fad or a yo yo diet. and he plans on sustaining it for the rest of his life. His dr monitors his health and nutrient intake and he's healthy and not deficient in any vitamin.. oh he is also a pro athlete... but you know.. yo yo fad diet that isn't healthy.

Atkins works. Would you not consider it a fad?

All raw foods is unnecessary. It's part of the "eating clean" fad. You can do it, but it's pretty pointless (and ridiculously expensive). But whatever floats your boat, ya know. As long as you hit your goals, and you're healthy and satisfied.
  • kiramommy08
    kiramommy08 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think that if u go on a raw diet it helps u gain more displine to eat healthy no matter what. And why in the world would someone lose the weight. Get off the diet and eat all the weight back. Their is no way i would let that happen. Losing weight is hard enough givong up the foods u love. I have a hard time with portions. Well atleast with bread and potatoes all the rest of that stuff i can give up cold turkey. Its all about will power. I get down to my goal weight there is no way im coming back up. Everybody is different
  • kiramommy08
    Options
    Exactly
    fishshark wrote: »

Eating raw can be healthy but it takes an insane amount of time and money to hit your macros. I have many healthy friends who have been raw 5+ years. They do eat cooked quinoa for protein here and there. How do YOU know what will or won't work or what is healthy for someone else's life.

• kiramommy08
    Options
    I made it my final because i have no idea what i would look like at that weight. Plus i thought it was a realistic goal being that i started from 245. I had no idea how long it wouldve taken me to lose that much weight. I xould lose more if i ever got to 180. But i also dont wanna end up looking like a tall broom stick.
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I think I would miss cooked meat and fish and warm food in the winter. I dunno. It's up to you, people do it and feel good on it, so really it has to do whether you like it or not. It always reminds me that one of the most important historical reasons for humans living longer was because we learned to cook our food. But I DO know that's because they would eat raw meat and die from food poisoning. I'm guessing you are not doing that.

Um.. may I ask a question? I'm the same height as you so I was wondering if 180 lb is your final goal or an intermediate one?

Congrats on your weight loss, it's really impressive.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I think that if u go on a raw diet it helps u gain more displine to eat healthy no matter what. And why in the world would someone lose the weight. Get off the diet and eat all the weight back. Their is no way i would let that happen. Losing weight is hard enough givong up the foods u love. I have a hard time with portions. Well atleast with bread and potatoes all the rest of that stuff i can give up cold turkey. Its all about will power. I get down to my goal weight there is no way im coming back up. Everybody is different

Why would you give up the foods you love?

A more reasonable approach might be to eat a reasonable amount of all of the things you love, in the context of a balanced diet.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Oh! So, there are actually some that you can chew, and it's not like people are buying the lentil in bulk and trying to eat them that way?

That's good news.

Yup, if you soak lentils overnight they are soft enough to chew. (May actually take less time to become chewable; I always just soak overnight.) Then you go through the sprouting procedure, which takes a few days. I like sprouted lentils in salads. Lentils are super easy and can be done in jars rather than the special sprouting trays. While I've often sprouted in the winter as I'm unable to garden, I can't imagine doing enough sprouting to get enough protein.
This discussion has been closed.