Options
2»

Replies

• saynotocardio
    saynotocardio Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    emiiiiiily wrote: »
    I like yerba mate, but guarana makes me feel jittery. I'm dubious about this laxative thing and isn't it your liver that deals with toxins? I don't trust the whole "detox" trend.

True. it hasn't made me jittery though. I used to drink Starbucks double shots sometimes, which are horrible I know, once it made me so jittery and spiked my heart rate so much I actually had an anxiety attack. I have some problems with anxiety and every since I usually stay away from coffee as a whole now. /: Seldom I have straight coffee with a little bit of creamer and it doesn't affect me much. But the tea hasn't given me any issues.

Then drink tea with caffeine and skip the laxatives. And get sleep. Oh, and food and exercise help too.'

Food, Sleep, Water, best for energy. All natural steroids :smile:
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I wanted to know if anyone else has tried it. I mean I know that there is laxatives in it but the main reason I use it is because I get really bloated and have fatigue and low energy. I haven't seen anything negative from it personally. I guess a good time to use it would be after caving on cravings. I just started a diet where I'm doing portion control with lots of veggies, chicken, brown rice etc with meal preps. thanks for letting me know this stuff isn't the best for my body. I really wasn't aware it was harmful. Anyone know a healthy way to gain energy other than diet and exercise?

This is a huge red flag of an eating disorder.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I wanted to know if anyone else has tried it. I mean I know that there is laxatives in it but the main reason I use it is because I get really bloated and have fatigue and low energy. I haven't seen anything negative from it personally. I guess a good time to use it would be after caving on cravings. I just started a diet where I'm doing portion control with lots of veggies, chicken, brown rice etc with meal preps. thanks for letting me know this stuff isn't the best for my body. I really wasn't aware it was harmful. Anyone know a healthy way to gain energy other than diet and exercise?

Oh, I missed that. OP - using laxatives after 'caving to cravings' is NEVER a good idea. a) it doesn't help - by the time the food comes out that end, it's been processed; and b) that's a symptom of some pretty disordered thinking. The ONLY good time to use a laxative is when you are constipated, and water, fibre and fat intake have not helped move the mass.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    The ingredients are all natural.

Metabolic Boost Tea:

Ingredients: (Organic Yerba Mate, Sechung Oolong Tea, Pinhead Gunpowder Tea, Angelica Root Powder, Guarana Seed Powder and Licorice Root cut)

Detox Tea:

Ingredients: (Organic Dandelion Root, Peppermint Loose Leaf Tea, Organic Rosemary Leaf, Organic Senna Leaf , Organic Cinnamon Powder, Organic Ginger Root, Organic Hibiscus Flower Powder, Organic Rhubarb Root Powder, Organic Lemongrass Leaf and Organic Grapefruit Peel)

Just because it's natural or organic does not make it healthy. There are combinations of natural herbs that can induce abortion. Rosemary, in higher concentrations, is contraindicated for people with high blood pressure.

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    A person who suffers from low energy and fatigue would do better to get more sleep, eat nutritious food, reduce stress, and exercise moderately. In particular, a young person should not need to resort to a supplement to feel better. The supposed "natural" label mean nothing.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

Metabolic Boost Tea:

Ingredients: (Organic Yerba Mate, Sechung Oolong Tea, Pinhead Gunpowder Tea, Angelica Root Powder, Guarana Seed Powder and Licorice Root cut)

Detox Tea:

Ingredients: (Organic Dandelion Root, Peppermint Loose Leaf Tea, Organic Rosemary Leaf, Organic Senna Leaf , Organic Cinnamon Powder, Organic Ginger Root, Organic Hibiscus Flower Powder, Organic Rhubarb Root Powder, Organic Lemongrass Leaf and Organic Grapefruit Peel)

Just because it's natural or organic does not make it healthy. There are combinations of natural herbs that can induce abortion. Rosemary, in higher concentrations, is contraindicated for people with high blood pressure.

Hemlock is 100% natural, organically grown in the wild with no pesticides or GMO, and gluten free. It will also kill you and there's no known antidote.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    A person who suffers from low energy and fatigue would do better to get more sleep, eat nutritious food, reduce stress, and exercise moderately. In particular, a young person should not need to resort to a supplement to feel better. The supposed "natural" label mean nothing.

This.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

My thought exactly. This is not healthy behavior.

Even regular mate has a pretty strong caffeine kick--almost as much as coffee, depending on brewing technique. If you want to try the natural stuff, you don't need a mate gourd and bombilla to make it-- just use a French press or a tea ball.

As someone of Argentine descent, I hate to say this...but even plain, natural mate is probably not something you should consume in great quantities or with a lot of frequency. More than one cup a day can increase cancer risk and there are other possible detriments to long-term health.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    emiiiiiily wrote:
    dianne wrote:
    All natural =/= safe or useful.
    Digitalis purpurea is natural. (Can be safe & useful when processed & used properly.)
    Variola major is natural. (Only safe & useful when carefully processed & handled.)
    Clostridium botulinium is natural. (See note for variola.)
    Lagocephalus lagocephalus is natural. (Only known use is high-risk dining in Japan.)

If you foolishly took those into your body, you would end up with (respectively):
    heart problems
    smallpox
    botulism
    paralysis, usually leading to death... though the brain remains quite aware

You have already discovered that the laxatives & diuretics make only temporary changes.
    That's why you keep going back - THEY DON'T WORK!

Constantly using a stimulant laxative causes your body to start to rely on it, be unable to function w/o it.
    Using a bulk-forming laxative (metamucil), or osmotic laxative (miralax) daily is safe, per my doctor.
    Better yet, eat an apple (or cup of strawberries, they're high in fiber too) & drink a glass of water several times a day.

the main reason I use it is because I get really bloated and have fatigue and low energy ...
    Anyone know a healthy way to gain energy other than diet and exercise?
    Why would you start out discounting the proven ways to achieve what you want, with low risk of harm?

Properly fueling & resting your body leads to an improved feeling of energy.
    Training your body to use energy (calories) & oxygen efficiently leads to an improved feeling of energy.
    Drinking more water, eating more fiber will help with the bloating. So will exercise. If it doesn't improve in a few
    weeks of regular exercise + improved diet + improved rest + more water, see your doctor.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,450 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling low energy and fatigue, it's very possible that you're trying for too high a deficit (trying to lose weight too fast).

If your profile goal is true (8 pounds down, 13 to go), 0.5 pounds per week loss would be about the most I'd suggest striving for . . . and if you're exercising heavily, eat back some (50% at least) of those calories *at least* until your energy level is adequate.

You may be experiencing invisible effects worse than low energy & fatigue (like unnecessary loss of muscle mass) and courting things that young women don't usually want (like hair loss).

I hope I'm feeling alarmed unnecessarily . . . please stay strong & healthy!
  • MKEgal
    Options
    isn't it your liver that deals with toxins? I don't trust the whole "detox" trend.
    Read the thread linked above "looking for a detox/cleanse?".
    "Detox" is meaningless unless you're in a drug rehab unit, or possibly in ICU because your liver, lungs, kidneys,
    intestines, & skin have failed at their designed purposes (removing harmful things from your body).
    Anyone who promotes it is automatically outed as a charlatan / fraud / idiot.
    See how many times her original post has been flagged as spam?
  • MKEgal
    Options
    a good time to use it would be after caving on cravings
    Um, that's a sign of an eating disorder.
    Just own up to the fact that you ate too much of something, get back on track, and figure out how to avoid doing
    it in the future.

And BTW, it's not bad to give in to cravings. We can't permanently give up the things we like to eat. In fact, the
    longer & harder we try, the more we're focussing on them, the harder it becomes, and the more likely we are to
    overindulge.
    The trick is to give in to them a little bit.
    Find a healthy way.
    I love peanut butter. Instead of having several PBJ sandwiches for dinner (over 800 cal each!), I now have a couple
    T on toast for breakfast (300 cal total).
    I love chocolate. I keep good chocolate around, as well as fat-free sugar-free instant pudding, fat-free sugar-free
    frozen fudge pops, hot cocoa, etc. I get my chocolate fix with few calories.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

That stuff is not good for you. Also, the fact that you use it after giving into cravings indicates an eating disorder, for which you need to speak to a professional.

Also, you don't look overweight in your profile picture, and your ticker says you have lost 8 pounds and have 13 to go. However, if I am wrong and you are overweight and want to lose weight, you need to eat less calories than your burn, which is dieting. Exercise is not essential to weight loss, but it is beneficial to raise your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) and to overall health.

Throw the laxative tea detox stuff away and speak with a professional.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Good luck with not becoming severely constipated and not being able to go to the bathroom without the use of laxatives from using senna (you might as well use senokot it's probably cheaper). This will also make you severely bloated. I know. I was addicted to laxatives when I was severely anorexic. Took a long time before I became regular again.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I now have severe Crohn's disease. There are many factors that cause it and the exact cause is unknown but it seemed to start after the laxative abuse and there are some doctors who think there is some connection. I am the only one in my family with this horrible disease and it has almost killed me. Just be careful