Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    What is christmas cake?

Usually fruit cake, I think.

Disappointing.

Oh no, not disappointing ... delicious!! I love fruit cake ... used to eat about a cake a month, all year round! I miss it, but happily, had a little bit yesterday and will have a little bit more today ... and tomorrow ... and the next day ... :)
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Last year, during Christmas and thanksgiving I was 3-4 months in my weight loss. I ate very conservatively, still wasn't active.

This year, for thanksgiving and the remainder of thanksgiving week, I overate and didn't exercise daily (just every other day). I began feeling guilty and started noticing puffiness in my face and less definition in my torso.

The first monday after, I returned to my exercise regime and lost the holiday gain of approx 6 lbs before the week was up. So it was probably all water weight.

If I repeat this pattern for Christmas week, then new year week, I'm on the right track. Thanks for your encouraging words ,OP
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    What is christmas cake?

Disappointing.

Oh no, not disappointing ... delicious!! I love fruit cake ... used to eat about a cake a month, all year round! I miss it, but happily, had a little bit yesterday and will have a little bit more today ... and tomorrow ... and the next day ... :)

Okay. Disappointing to me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    We have a roast dinner most weeks

Christmas is just a roast dinner

There's no reason that one can't moderate a christmas meal to fit calories if one chooses ...also I see no issue with a day of going mad apart from feeling sick, so long as you get back on the horse

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting :]

And OP - ignore any miserable's that are bound to pop up and critique your way of doing things. What you've described is the human approach to Christmas and it works for MANY of us. I will not be tracking on christmas day - no thank you! It's one day out of a hectic year where I'm not going to put limitations on myself. Not guilty. Not afraid of gaining a pound or two and getting right back on track after :) Merry christmas!
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I enjoy the day and that's it. Its one day per year, no big deal. One day won't undo all of my hard work.

Amen girl!
  • robs_ready
    Options
    I'll just say exactly what I said in another thread ...

My plan is this:

I am about 2 kg from my goal. I am sticking to my diet right now, and will continue to do so up till about Dec 21, 22 or 23. I'll decide when I get there. If all goes well, I might lose those last 2 kg or close to it, and will switch to maintenance.

My work forces us all to take 10 days off over Christmas. If all goes well, I'm hoping we'll actually have some decent summer weather then, and I plan to exercise a lot in that time.

During that time, I also plan to take a diet break. I'll eat whatever I want to eat for those 10 days, and possibly the day before and after too.

Then I'll reassess where I am. I may need to go back onto the diet again for January ... or maybe all the exercise I've done will compensate, and I'll just continue with maintenance. :)

No need for panic ... it's all under control. :)

Good, that's what I like to hear, and congrats on your achievements btw, you're so close!
  • robs_ready
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Christmas is about food and family and it is only one day out the year. I am making bacon baklava for dessert with some homemade vanilla ice cream.

Corr blimey why don't you go ahead and ship some of that over to me in the UK?
  • robs_ready
    Options
    So I'm one of the people who is continuing to be very cautious up until Christmas... partly because it ISN'T "just one day" ...I thought it was the norm in this day of diverse families to have a number of Christmas celebrations? In just Dec 24-Dec 28 I have three Christmas celebrations. Going overboard 3 times in a week is setting myself up for a massive backslide. I know I'll be ordering Chinese on New Years Eve (so 4! times in a week) and that will be my big indulgence, but otherwise I plan to stay within my calorie goals or at maintenance, but not over.

I'm not knocking it, just make sure you enjoy yourself, Christmas ain't Christmas without that mince pie!
  • robs_ready
    Options
    I've already indulged at a couple of Christmas parties and have no regrets. When someone goes to the trouble of making some gelato and warm apple crisp for their party, I can in no way say no to such great food. Nor can I say no to second and thirds. Maybe to fourths I can say no, but those three other times, I had to indulge and enjoy, especially when no one else was having any.

You said no to 4th servings that's blasphemy!!!
  • robs_ready
    Options
    I'm not going to treat Christmas like a huge feast. I just started a keto diet so I'll be mainly eating protein and healthy fats that day. I like to stay lean year round so I always eat up to my caloric goal.

Does that mean you won't be eating those sausages wrapped In bacon? A ketos best friend?
  • robs_ready
    Options
    What is christmas cake?

Disappointing.

Humbug, you've never had Christmas pudding? It's more than just a fruit cake, it's filled with brandy and topped with the finest ice cream the world has ever known.
  • robs_ready
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    Last year, during Christmas and thanksgiving I was 3-4 months in my weight loss. I ate very conservatively, still wasn't active.

This year, for thanksgiving and the remainder of thanksgiving week, I overate and didn't exercise daily (just every other day). I began feeling guilty and started noticing puffiness in my face and less definition in my torso.

The first monday after, I returned to my exercise regime and lost the holiday gain of approx 6 lbs before the week was up. So it was probably all water weight.

If I repeat this pattern for Christmas week, then new year week, I'm on the right track. Thanks for your encouraging words ,OP

No problem man, just remember, if you exercise as well, your limiting damage :)
  • robs_ready
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

There's no reason that one can't moderate a christmas meal to fit calories if one chooses ...also I see no issue with a day of going mad apart from feeling sick, so long as you get back on the horse

Oh @rabbitjb my sensible friend, Christmas is not just about roast dinner, surely you drink your calories worth in festive wine and brandy?
  • robs_ready
    Options
    Thanks for posting :]

And OP - ignore any miserable's that are bound to pop up and critique your way of doing things. What you've described is the human approach to Christmas and it works for MANY of us. I will not be tracking on christmas day - no thank you! It's one day out of a hectic year where I'm not going to put limitations on myself. Not guilty. Not afraid of gaining a pound or two and getting right back on track after :) Merry christmas!

@PinkPixiexox the thought of eating salad and grilled chicken on Christmas day makes me feel depressed.

Glad we are on the same page here, oddly not a single negative comment in this thread yet, I think all the scrooges know to leave this thread alone. (Y)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    roblloyd89 wrote: »

Oh @rabbitjb my sensible friend, Christmas is not just about roast dinner, surely you drink your calories worth in festive wine and brandy?

not that big a drinker to be honest .. a couple of glasses and I'm anyone's .. tipsy

I like cheese though :bigsmile:
  • robs_ready
    Options
    roblloyd89 wrote: »

not that big a drinker to be honest .. a couple of glasses and I'm anyone's .. tipsy

I like cheese though :bigsmile:

Cheese crackers and red wine is a man's best friend amen to that girl
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    What is christmas cake?

It's a rich fruit cake that's been drizzled with alcohol - brandy etc - then covered with marzipan and royal icing.

*drools*

• Beautiful_Warrior94
    Options
    Well I remember last year I was terrified of the holidays. I suffered with bulimia for years and determined with the recovery process I have been working on not to relapse. I will enjoy myself, family and friends, boyfriend, and after the holidays jump right back into mainly focusing on school and weight loss. But I will be determined not to let myself binge or throw up or any type of purging. I will keep what my therapist told me in the back of my mind. I know I can do this. I am not my eating disorder. I am me...end of story.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    If I'm up in December I know I will be down again in January. Life is too short to dread Christmas! <leaves to go mix up gingerbread men dough>