Weight lifters question

Options
How many protein shakes you drink per day ?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    None. I can meet my protein needs through chicken, eggs and beef.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I take 2 but I'm on a cut and they are my lunch and dinner. (Some days one and I have a piece of chicken instead)

The amount you drink will depend on your diet needs
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    lol. Zero to one. I don't need them. Sometimes I just need a small snack and they work well.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    0-2, 1 scoop most days. I usually just add them in when I'm not looking like hitting my protein goal for the day. Most nights I'll have a scoop made into microwave protein brownie instead of dessert
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    ...wha?
  • VinnyI82
    VinnyI82 Posts: 19 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    None, unless you're looking to gain you should be getting your protein intake from foods. Reason being is that protein shakes go through you quickly, leaving you hungry not too long after.
    Protein powder is a supplement. It's meant to supplement you're daily intake and assist with hitting certain macros.

When I bulked I was taking in 3x 2 scoop shakes (40-60g protein) with 1tbs of hazelnut oil and 1cup of oats a day on top of my normal meals.
    Currently on a cut and take 0. MAYBE 1 here and there if I'm too tired at night or don't have the stomach for solid food.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    0 to 1. I only use them if I am in a hurry and don't have time for a decent meal.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    None

and I hit my protein goal of 100g fairly easily with greek yogurt, egg whites, meat and all my other foods
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    1 scoop after I workout; I hit 170 grams yesterday (I made delicious stock). I probably don't need the shake, I just need food immediately after I workout.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    1 scoop after I workout; I hit 170 grams yesterday (I made delicious stock). I probably don't need the shake, I just need food immediately after I workout.

Why do you need it immediately after you workout?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    lisalsd1 wrote: »

Why do you need it immediately after you workout?

I think the bigger question is, why would a women need 170g of protein. That is more than most guys need.

OP, I generally do 0.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Nope I don't have an issue with people exceeding their protein minimum .. and @lisalsd1 did say she made delicious stock so I'm suspecting that's a case of the ommnomnom-ohmygoshthisisgood

What I was wondering about was the urgency of the timing .. I thought that had been debunked
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Nope I don't have an issue with people exceeding their protein minimum .. and @lisalsd1 did say she made delicious stock so I'm suspecting that's a case of the ommnomnom-ohmygoshthisisgood

What I was wondering about was the urgency of the timing .. I thought that had been debunked

Some additional research is needed, but the current recommendation I have seen is getting some protein and carbs either before or after the workout by 2 hours (I would like it but work blocks my google drive). But even so, the timing of nutrients is probably more important to elite athletes or those who have everything else on point (total calories, total protein, etc...) before there would even be an impact.

Edited - http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    0... I use protein powders a lot in my food, but I never drink it
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Some additional research is needed, but the current recommendation I have seen is getting some protein and carbs either before or after the workout by 2 hours (I would like it but work blocks my google drive). But even so, the timing of nutrients is probably more important to elite athletes or those who have everything else on point (total calories, total protein, etc...) before there would even be an impact.

Edited - http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

my days of being an elite athlete are well behind me

:bigsmile:
  • BonyCastro
    BonyCastro Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You need a percentage of grams per day based on your goals and current weight. My protein goal per day is 162. You should take at least 1.2 of your body weight when you re lifting. And no 170 grams is not as a man! My 162 is 40%, another 40% carbs and my fat goal is %20.
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I probably get around 40-60g worth of protein in supplements (bars, powders etc) per day. I've only recently found a brand that doesn't give me digestive issues so I was able to up it a bit.
  • elga_thres
    elga_thres Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    1 on workout days., especially if can't eat 2-3 hours before or after workout. So, I drink it just because it's convenient. Other than that , 0.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    BonyCastro wrote: »
    You need a percentage of grams per day based on your goals and current weight. My protein goal per day is 162. You should take at least 1.2 of your body weight when you re lifting. And no 170 grams is not as a man! My 162 is 40%, another 40% carbs and my fat goal is %20.

The minimum required is somewhere between 0.64 and 0.8g per lb of bodyweight with the latter being in the realm of professional bodybuilders. Beyond that will do you no harm, subject to no specific med conditions, but also no good

this is also in line with the oft quoted 1g per lb of LBM