Weight lifters question

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    BonyCastro wrote: »
    You need a percentage of grams per day based on your goals and current weight. My protein goal per day is 162. You should take at least 1.2 of your body weight when you re lifting. And no 170 grams is not as a man! My 162 is 40%, another 40% carbs and my fat goal is %20.

The minimum required is somewhere between 0.64 and 0.8g per lb of bodyweight with the latter being in the realm of professional bodybuilders. Beyond that will do you no harm, subject to no specific med conditions, but also no good

this is also in line with the oft quoted 1g per lb of LBM

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/823505/research-on-protien-intake
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1158604/eric-helms-protein-research

Lots of research on protein intake in the link too.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    yup lots and lots

I've read both of those before

they are excellent links - thanks
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    0-2, 1 scoop most days. I usually just add them in when I'm not looking like hitting my protein goal for the day. Most nights I'll have a scoop made into microwave protein brownie instead of dessert

Tell me more about this microwave protein brownie
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I don't drink any. I get sufficient protein primarily from meat, whole grains, and dairy.
  • mmarie_3
    mmarie_3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

psulemon wrote: »
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    1 scoop after I workout; I hit 170 grams yesterday (I made delicious stock). I probably don't need the shake, I just need food immediately after I workout.

Why do you need it immediately after you workout?

I think the bigger question is, why would a women need 170g of protein. That is more than most guys need.

OP, I generally do 0.

I take in 200g of protein a day, if you're a body builder and looking to gain major muscle mass, this is perfectly acceptable for a woman. This is offset by 2 refeeds a week.

• psuLemon
    Options
    mmarie_3 wrote: »

1 scoop after I workout; I hit 170 grams yesterday (I made delicious stock). I probably don't need the shake, I just need food immediately after I workout.

I think the bigger question is, why would a women need 170g of protein. That is more than most guys need.

OP, I generally do 0.

I take in 200g of protein a day, if you're a body builder and looking to gain major muscle mass, this is perfectly acceptable for a woman. This is offset by 2 refeeds a week.

While it's perfectly acceptable, it's also unnecessary. I haven't seen a study that has shown any benefit once you surpass 1g per lb of lean body mass. Albeit, it's not really a big deal because excess protein converts to glucose. And as long as you are drinking water, there shouldn't be an impact on kidneys or anything.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

OP, I generally do 0.

I don't think it will cause damage unless you have underlying kidney issues, however, it's completely unnecessary for someone your size to be consuming that amount of protein. It far exceeds the beneficial amount.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

OP, I generally do 0.

While it's perfectly acceptable, it's also unnecessary. I haven't seen a study that has shown any benefit once you surpass 1g per lb of lean body mass. Albeit, it's not really a big deal because excess protein converts to glucose. And as long as you are drinking water, there shouldn't be an impact on kidneys or anything.

whoops. Pretty much this. ^
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

OP, I generally do 0.

I'm a competitive female heavyweight bodybuilder and put on considerable lean mass over the last two years eating .8 grams of protein per pound of lean mass.

http://www.jissn.com/content/11/1/20
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

OP, I generally do 0.

I'm a competitive female heavyweight bodybuilder and put on considerable lean mass over the last two years eating .8 grams of protein per pound of lean mass.

You linked the Helms paper. Does that mean you support going up to 1.4 g/lb LBM when you cut? I am not sure if I am on Team Helms or Team Henselmans on this issue. Apologize in advance for derail.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »

OP, I generally do 0.

You linked the Helms paper. Does that mean you support going up to 1.4 g/lb LBM when you cut? I am not sure if I am on Team Helms or Team Henselmans on this issue. Apologize in advance for derail.

The suggestion in the abstract is for bodybuilders who are losing 1% body fat per week. I do think that bodybuilders or competitors on a cut need more protein for lean mass retention. The OP is looking to compete eventually in bikini, which is why I posted this one. During bulking I lower protein.

I have never seen the suggestions for natural bodybuilders and competition prep made by Henselmans.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »

OP, I generally do 0.

The suggestion in the abstract is for bodybuilders who are losing 1% body fat per week. I do think that bodybuilders or competitors on a cut need more protein for lean mass retention. The OP is looking to compete eventually in bikini, which is why I posted this one. During bulking I lower protein.

I have never seen the suggestions for natural bodybuilders and competition prep made by Henselmans.

Thanks. Henselman's a proponent of 0.82 g/lb bodyweight during cut and bulk.
    Henselman vs. Helms: http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/eric-helms-protein/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Was wondering about lean body mass and found this calculator: http://www.calculator.net/lean-body-mass-calculator.html

Thoughts @usmcmp or anyone?
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have protein mix in my office

If I am in a jam for a good healthy meal I wil drink it

Protein shakes that taste good are a treat.
  • psuLemon
    edited December 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Was wondering about lean body mass and found this calculator: http://www.calculator.net/lean-body-mass-calculator.html

Thoughts @usmcmp or anyone?

Very rough estimate.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You need a percentage of grams per day based on your goals and current weight. My protein goal per day is 162. You should take at least 1.2 of your body weight when you re lifting. And no 170 grams is not as a man! My 162 is 40%, another 40% carbs and my fat goal is %20.

1.2 could be high but one correction is lean body weight.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I don't usually do the protein shake. I have some powder here for when I feel like I'm not going to hit my protein goal (but I haven't paid as much attention to that lately as I should). In general, though, I get close to enough protein from food.

I do keep bars around for when I need a quick snack (I like to keep one with me when I'm out, too). My favorite are Balance, they are 40/30/30 (C/P/F) so they tend to have around 15 grams. I sometimes buy Luna or other brands, but only if they have close to 10g of protein for 200 calories.
  • Ryan70286
    Ryan70286 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    How many protein shakes do I drink a day. For everyone else it is going to be different, I normally drink 1 protein shake every day first thing in the morning. On work out days I would normally add 1 to 2 more servings (depending on how hard my workout was). Protein shakes are supplements so not everyone needs to take as long as you meet your daily protein intake per day. I go by this formula for my daily protein intake (weight x .80) if you are trying to stay lean OR (weight x .80) for gaining muscle.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options

Yeah, I have my macros set at 35p/35f/30c; I've found that slightly lower carb intake is the best for me just for life in general (not specifically for training). This usually sets my goal for the day around 150 grams/day.

I really only eat a shake after I workout, b/c of blood sugar (it doesn't need to be refrigerated, filled with water, and there you go). A shake is just a convenient way to get something ingested quickly. I could probably pack some almonds, but that would require a little bit more planning in the morning...eh.
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'll just throw this in here, but if i drink a large glass of skimmed milk within 30 mins of my weight lifting my muscles ache considerably less.