Weight lifters question

Options
13»

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    the timing of nutrients is probably more important to elite athletes or those who have everything else on point
    ^^^This...
    OP to answer your question, I have a tub of protein powder on hand if and only if I need it, which is hardly ever...
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I have 2. A delicious mocha one with my breakfast. It has kinda replaced my bad habit of drinking an iced coffee.
    For dessert I'll make a strawberry smoothie frappe thingie.

I also try to get lots of protein in my foods. But i just like my shakes
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I'll have a shake with oats or oatmeal with a scoop of protein for breakfast, a scoop with iced coffee pre-workout, a whey/casein blend post-workout and sometimes greek yogurt with a scoop of protein at night. I consume 200-240 grams of protein a day.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes very rarely, and I average about 100-140 grams a day. I would say, maybbbbe once a week if I wasn't paying close enough attention during the day to my macros
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options
    1 if that. I eat my protein.

To the OP, rely more on actual science and not bro science.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    0... I use protein powders a lot in my food, but I never drink it

same here. Pancakes, cheesecake, fluff, sludge. Never a shake.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    0 most days
    1 every blue moon.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    mmarie_3 wrote: »

psulemon wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    1 scoop after I workout; I hit 170 grams yesterday (I made delicious stock). I probably don't need the shake, I just need food immediately after I workout.

Why do you need it immediately after you workout?

I think the bigger question is, why would a women need 170g of protein. That is more than most guys need.

OP, I generally do 0.

I take in 200g of protein a day, if you're a body builder and looking to gain major muscle mass, this is perfectly acceptable for a woman. This is offset by 2 refeeds a week.

Why would you need a refeed while in a caloric surplus/gaining phase?
  • FireYankee
    FireYankee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    BonyCastro wrote: »
    You need a percentage of grams per day based on your goals and current weight. My protein goal per day is 162. You should take at least 1.2 of your body weight when you re lifting. And no 170 grams is not as a man! My 162 is 40%, another 40% carbs and my fat goal is %20.

Get ready for everyone here to tell you how wrong you are. Brace yourself.

I do one directly after workout, all of my other protein is pulled in from daily meals.
  • pliler
    pliler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    BonyCastro wrote: »
    You need a percentage of grams per day based on your goals and current weight. My protein goal per day is 162. You should take at least 1.2 of your body weight when you re lifting. And no 170 grams is not as a man! My 162 is 40%, another 40% carbs and my fat goal is %20.

The minimum required is somewhere between 0.64 and 0.8g per lb of bodyweight with the latter being in the realm of professional bodybuilders. Beyond that will do you no harm, subject to no specific med conditions, but also no good

this is also in line with the oft quoted 1g per lb of LBM

Truth! And I wish I had learned that years ago when I was spending loads of money on whey :(