Replies

• aubned92
    aubned92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    aubned92 wrote: »
    mickmgd wrote: »
    Really interesting reading here so thanks to author and contributors. I have dropped 52lb and probably have 6-8lb to go. As such I am starting to look at maintenance and it worries me more than the weight loss targets did. I have found a diet/exercise lifestyle balance and I net around 1200-1300 calories per day after exercise. I want to keep the exercise up as this was as much about lifestyle as weight loss. The app suggests 500 more calories which is a third more food than I currently eat. I don't want to increase sugar or fat content just to hit a number every day, but I look at where my portion size would need to be and I can't see how I could consume that much food

It is hard to wrap your mind around for sure. When we are obese/overweight we must live on less to lose (ex. 1000 calories). Then we hit our goal and to maintain we need nearly 2000 calories and that's without exercise. I really never thought this would be an issue. So glad to be able to share and support here.

1000 calories is very much undereating and unhealthy :/ 1200 is the minimum that women should consume unless on doctor's orders with strict supervision. Most women eat more than 1200 to lose. Were you only eating 1000 to lose? Maybe that's why you've had a hard time, because you've had to almost double your intake.

I have no idea what my calorie count was before (I was guessing). I lost first due to stress and trauma (I didn't see what was happening), then portion control and eventually I became vegan for health reasons. All of this resulted in 85lbs in 10 months. I was oblivious for half of my weight loss, which makes this more difficult I think.

You're right... Doubling I'd bizarre and when I exercise I have to almost triple.

Cut back on the exercise

So you're suggesting I don't tone and build my core? I workout for 45-50 minutes 4-5 times a week. I always walk two miles a day... it's just a given (normal errand running, daily working walk). I was sedentary for nearly a year and my body started deteriorating. I have seven herniated discs (among other injuries) from a head-on collision three years ago.... I've done the overworking and over trying to "fix" the damage, I've done the do nothing and sit around and deteriorate method, and now I am finally getting my life back together. Do nothing or close to nothing is no longer an option. But thanks for the feedback.

Not if you can't fuel your body properly, no . You're doing more damage eating such a low number of calories and exercising as well.

Thanks again but I think maybe you misunderstood... I'm not eating 1000
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    mickmgd wrote: »
    Really interesting reading here so thanks to author and contributors. I have dropped 52lb and probably have 6-8lb to go. As such I am starting to look at maintenance and it worries me more than the weight loss targets did. I have found a diet/exercise lifestyle balance and I net around 1200-1300 calories per day after exercise. I want to keep the exercise up as this was as much about lifestyle as weight loss. The app suggests 500 more calories which is a third more food than I currently eat. I don't want to increase sugar or fat content just to hit a number every day, but I look at where my portion size would need to be and I can't see how I could consume that much food

It is hard to wrap your mind around for sure. When we are obese/overweight we must live on less to lose (ex. 1000 calories). Then we hit our goal and to maintain we need nearly 2000 calories and that's without exercise. I really never thought this would be an issue. So glad to be able to share and support here.

1000 calories is very much undereating and unhealthy :/ 1200 is the minimum that women should consume unless on doctor's orders with strict supervision. Most women eat more than 1200 to lose. Were you only eating 1000 to lose? Maybe that's why you've had a hard time, because you've had to almost double your intake.

I have no idea what my calorie count was before (I was guessing). I lost first due to stress and trauma (I didn't see what was happening), then portion control and eventually I became vegan for health reasons. All of this resulted in 85lbs in 10 months. I was oblivious for half of my weight loss, which makes this more difficult I think.

You're right... Doubling I'd bizarre and when I exercise I have to almost triple.

Cut back on the exercise

So you're suggesting I don't tone and build my core? I workout for 45-50 minutes 4-5 times a week. I always walk two miles a day... it's just a given (normal errand running, daily working walk). I was sedentary for nearly a year and my body started deteriorating. I have seven herniated discs (among other injuries) from a head-on collision three years ago.... I've done the overworking and over trying to "fix" the damage, I've done the do nothing and sit around and deteriorate method, and now I am finally getting my life back together. Do nothing or close to nothing is no longer an option. But thanks for the feedback.

Not if you can't fuel your body properly, no . You're doing more damage eating such a low number of calories and exercising as well.

This was actually my problem when I tried to maintain but kept losing and got too low. I've never exercised for weight loss, but instead for dealing with anxiety, so I never paid too much attention to finding a happy balance between working out and caloric intake. Stopping exercise was NOT an option for me (as I'm assuming it isn't for you), so I had to start eating more calorie-dense foods on a regular basis. And as a side note, it also gave me a lot more energy during my workouts... So yes, certainly look into using food to fuel your workouts. It's SO important!!

Great post. Thanks!
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Maybe you've already done this, but might it help to set some new type of goals so that you have something new to work toward, like specific fitness goals? Or learning a new skill of any sort that takes advantage of your new, slimmer, healthier self?

You nailed it! I'm doing exactly what you mentioned. I lost the weight with calorie counting or working out. Now, I've joined a gym to tone and strengthen my core. A new goal I'd exactly what I needed. Sadly, exercise = calorie deficits, so it's a whole new challenge all around. Lol. I will find balance.... It's a process.

Convince yourself that you need to fuel your body adequately in order to strengthen. This should be an easy sell, because it's *true*: You aren't going to build much muscle in a deficit. Add some higher-energy-density foods (nuts, avocados, etc.) as needed, and be sure to get enough protein. Since you had the self-discipline necessary to lose weight, you can do this, too. Best wishes for steady progress to success!

I'm a vegan, all I eat is fruits, veggies, and nuts. My eating is ridiculously clean and healthy which means low calories. Ugh and trying to balance macros is a pain. Lol. I'm really not complaining... Just trying to figure all this out.

If all you eat are fruits, vegetables, and nuts, you're not a vegan--you're an extremely restricted eater (and you're probably not getting enough carbohydrates or protein, unless you're counting large amounts of legumes and potatoes as vegetables). There are plenty of more calorie dense vegan options: dried fruit, nuts, seeds, avocados, oils, grains, legumes. You can bake (or buy) vegan muffins and quick breads and cookies and cakes that are plenty "clean" and will help you reach your calorie goal. Granola made with maple syrup is vegan and calorie-dense. Sprinkle sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds on your salads. Prepare batches of whole grains or quinoa and use them as a base for vegetable stews. Make a Thai curry with tofu and vegetables and coconut milk. Indeed, every traditional vegan dish in the world includes a healthy amount of fat.

Often people call themselves vegan or vegetarian in order to mask an eating disorder, and you sound as if you're teetering on the edge of that behavior. If that's not the case, feel free to ignore me and my ranting and I apologize in advance. And I agree with the poster above who said that it's key to switch your mindset. Stop thinking of food as something to be avoided and start seeing it as fuel for all the fun stuff you want to do.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    scrittrice wrote: »
    Maybe you've already done this, but might it help to set some new type of goals so that you have something new to work toward, like specific fitness goals? Or learning a new skill of any sort that takes advantage of your new, slimmer, healthier self?

You nailed it! I'm doing exactly what you mentioned. I lost the weight with calorie counting or working out. Now, I've joined a gym to tone and strengthen my core. A new goal I'd exactly what I needed. Sadly, exercise = calorie deficits, so it's a whole new challenge all around. Lol. I will find balance.... It's a process.

Convince yourself that you need to fuel your body adequately in order to strengthen. This should be an easy sell, because it's *true*: You aren't going to build much muscle in a deficit. Add some higher-energy-density foods (nuts, avocados, etc.) as needed, and be sure to get enough protein. Since you had the self-discipline necessary to lose weight, you can do this, too. Best wishes for steady progress to success!

I'm a vegan, all I eat is fruits, veggies, and nuts. My eating is ridiculously clean and healthy which means low calories. Ugh and trying to balance macros is a pain. Lol. I'm really not complaining... Just trying to figure all this out.

If all you eat are fruits, vegetables, and nuts, you're not a vegan--you're an extremely restricted eater (and you're probably not getting enough carbohydrates or protein, unless you're counting large amounts of legumes and potatoes as vegetables). There are plenty of more calorie dense vegan options: dried fruit, nuts, seeds, avocados, oils, grains, legumes. You can bake (or buy) vegan muffins and quick breads and cookies and cakes that are plenty "clean" and will help you reach your calorie goal. Granola made with maple syrup is vegan and calorie-dense. Sprinkle sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds on your salads. Prepare batches of whole grains or quinoa and use them as a base for vegetable stews. Make a Thai curry with tofu and vegetables and coconut milk. Indeed, every traditional vegan dish in the world includes a healthy amount of fat.

Often people call themselves vegan or vegetarian in order to mask an eating disorder, and you sound as if you're teetering on the edge of that behavior. If that's not the case, feel free to ignore me and my ranting and I apologize in advance. And I agree with the poster above who said that it's key to switch your mindset. Stop thinking of food as something to be avoided and start seeing it as fuel for all the fun stuff you want to do.

Sorry, but telling the OP that she has an eating disorder because she is vegan is highly uncalled for. Throwing such words around should not be taken lightly.
  • aubned92
    Options

Just FYI, KNOW the FACTS before you reply. I am vegan for health reasons AND I cannot eat gluten or dairy for health reasons. Thank you... My restrictions due to health are not easy for me but I DO NOT HAVE SN EATING DISORDER! Funny how being obese never triggered anyone to think I have an eating disorder but eating clean and healthy does. Our society is so backwards!!!
  • aubned92
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »

Sorry, but telling the OP that she has an eating disorder because she is vegan is highly uncalled for. Throwing such words around should not be taken lightly.

Thank you @LynneW1983
  • aubned92
    Options
    Just FYI, I'm not avoiding food. I am only struggling with calories recently because I started working out. I'm trying to find a healthy balance. I will not be coming back to this feed because it's turned ugly and I don't need negativity or toxicity in my life. Thanks
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    If all you eat are fruits, vegetables, and nuts, you're not a vegan--you're an extremely restricted eater (and you're probably not getting enough carbohydrates or protein,
    Hogwash.
    And in other news, the Earth is fairly round.

Time to catch up.

• aubned92
    Options
    PS. Avocado is a FRUIT!!!
  • msidorow
    msidorow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good for you @aubned92 for having the courage, motivation, innovation and drive to do the leg work needed to make your diet meet your needs. I bet it isn't easy for you, but here you are and you should be proud of that. Keep it up!
  • jimskelton
    jimskelton Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow 2+ years! I just entered maintenance and was wondering how long I would count calories. I was hoping that my body would get a better idea of how much I ate based on how I felt 20 or so minutes after eating. I can sort of detect when I eat more than 600 calories in a sitting. But it's when I throw exercise in that it skews things. Eating an additional 1000 calories in a day because I cycled for an hour and a half throws things off...
    I'm glad you're using MFP as a tool to help you eat a bit more, sounds like you were getting too low a weight.

I've been maintaining my loss for 2+ years but I still log, more to ensure that I'm actually eating enough and keep an eye on my macros.