15.8% Body fat need advice

Options
Ok so I weigh 159 pounds which ik is not alot for a 5'10 male that is cutting But anyways my current body fat percentage is 15.8% so i was wondering what would be a good body fat percentage estimate forme to start my bulk want to be pretty lean when i start so i dont get fat during my 8 month bulk of a goal of 15 pounds of muscle

Replies

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    You and I have similar stats with the exception of age. I cut down to around 158-159lb and was between 14-16% BF based on the tool I was using. I have since bulked up to 170lbs and have been maintaining at 170lbs since September 1st.

You're not going to gain 15lbs of muscle in 8 months. As you continue to add fat from bulking the proration of fat/muscle will slowly start to change.

• hmattinen
    hmattinen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I asked that from a Life Time Fitness center instructor - her answer was between 8 - 12 %
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    hmattinen wrote: »
    I asked that from a Life Time Fitness center instructor - her answer was between 8 - 12 %

I'd disagree with that wholeheartedly.

14-15% is a much more reasonable and appropriate recommendation.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Yes, most of what I've read suggests ending a cut and starting a bulk at around 10%, or a bit higher, maybe 12%. You then continue the bulk up to around 15% to 17%, then start cutting again. During your bulk, IF you do everything right (eat at a moderate surplus, get plenty of rest and lift heavy), you can expect to gain about a pound of fat for every pound of muscle. Muscle gains should peak at about 2 pounds per month.

The reasoning behind the lower bodyfat (10%-ish) before beginning a bulk is that your insulin sensitivity is higher the leaner you are, and insulin is a main driver of protein synthesis & building muscle.

I'm older than you guys at 61. I've been eating at a deficit (sometimes unenthusiastically and sloppily) for about two years now. I'm 5'9' and just got down to 140 lbs. I had hoped to be around 10% bodyfat before I got to this weight, but it didn't work. I'm about 12.5%. I don't want to get any thinner than I already am, so I'm reverse dieting (slowly reducing my deficit) and will begin a bulk in another couple weeks. I'll adjust my plan if I put fat back on at a higher than 1:1 ratio, but right now I'm planning on adding another 20 or 30 pounds before starting my next cut.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    Yes, most of what I've read suggests ending a cut and starting a bulk at around 10%, or a bit higher, maybe 12%. You then continue the bulk up to around 15% to 17%, then start cutting again...

That's the most common advice I've seen as well. Here's a great article from Lyle McDonald about bulking (and lots of associated sciency stuff): Initial Fat and Body Composition Changes
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I think I've listened to Lyle McDonald on a Mike Mathews podcast.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to gain muscle, there's really no need to cut at all first. Just start lifting and eating now.

You might be able to gain 2 pounds per month of muscle if you're an absolute beginner. Otherwise, plan on gaining about 1 pound per month of muscle.

And if you put on more than 4 pounds in a month, you're just putting on more fat than you need, and should cut back a little on the calories. Lots of guys use bulking as an excuse to get fat, but there's really no need to.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'd say bulk now. It's winter. You don't have much muscle. No real reason to cut down to 10% yet. You'll look too thin anyway.
  • itsflaccoi
    itsflaccoi Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    You and I have similar stats with the exception of age. I cut down to around 158-159lb and was between 14-16% BF based on the tool I was using. I have since bulked up to 170lbs and have been maintaining at 170lbs since September 1st.

You're not going to gain 15lbs of muscle in 8 months. As you continue to add fat from bulking the proration of fat/muscle will slowly start to change.
    jmule24 wrote: »

Im not bulking yet i have a pretty good percentage of fat and plan to cut for 1 1/2 months
  • itsflaccoi
    Options

14-15 isnt lean i want to be lean and be as a finishing goal not fat and muscler from bulking at 15% and end up being 20% after my bulk
  • itsflaccoi
    Options

I like this when i get under 12% i never want to go over it again
  • itsflaccoi
    Options
    itsflaccoi wrote: »

I like this when i get under 12% i never want to go over it again

I mean i never want to go over 15% after i drop below it
  • itsflaccoi
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    Yes, most of what I've read suggests ending a cut and starting a bulk at around 10%, or a bit higher, maybe 12%. You then continue the bulk up to around 15% to 17%, then start cutting again. During your bulk, IF you do everything right (eat at a moderate surplus, get plenty of rest and lift heavy), you can expect to gain about a pound of fat for every pound of muscle. Muscle gains should peak at about 2 pounds per month.

The reasoning behind the lower bodyfat (10%-ish) before beginning a bulk is that your insulin sensitivity is higher the leaner you are, and insulin is a main driver of protein synthesis & building muscle.

I'm older than you guys at 61. I've been eating at a deficit (sometimes unenthusiastically and sloppily) for about two years now. I'm 5'9' and just got down to 140 lbs. I had hoped to be around 10% bodyfat before I got to this weight, but it didn't work. I'm about 12.5%. I don't want to get any thinner than I already am, so I'm reverse dieting (slowly reducing my deficit) and will begin a bulk in another couple weeks. I'll adjust my plan if I put fat back on at a higher than 1:1 ratio, but right now I'm planning on adding another 20 or 30 pounds before starting my next cut.
    Goodluck at the age 61 still trying to get in shape your in inspiration
  • itsflaccoi
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    If your goal is to gain muscle, there's really no need to cut at all first. Just start lifting and eating now.

You might be able to gain 2 pounds per month of muscle if you're an absolute beginner. Otherwise, plan on gaining about 1 pound per month of muscle.

And if you put on more than 4 pounds in a month, you're just putting on more fat than you need, and should cut back a little on the calories. Lots of guys use bulking as an excuse to get fat, but there's really no need to.
    I said i want to be lean and want to no at what lean % i should start at almost 16% starting a bulk would not be very lean like
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I said i want to be lean and want to no at what lean % i should start at almost 16% starting a bulk would not be very lean like

Read the article I linked to above.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    what aery ou using to measure body fat % OP ?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting to 14%….
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

14-15 isnt lean i want to be lean and be as a finishing goal not fat and muscler from bulking at 15% and end up being 20% after my bulk

Which is why you cut after a bulk - you don't bulk in isolation - you run cycles between bulks & cuts.
  • itsflaccoi
    Options

Which is why you cut after a bulk - you don't bulk in isolation - you run cycles between bulks & cuts.

See your one of those people who arent lean year round when you can be and still reach the same maybe even better goals no reason for me to get fat
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

See your one of those people who arent lean year round when you can be and still reach the same maybe even better goals no reason for me to get fat

Good luck! Let us know how you fare.