15.8% Body fat need advice

Options

Replies

• ThatFatAsianNerd
    ThatFatAsianNerd Posts: 1,417 Member
    Options
    I'd say bulk now. It's winter. You don't have much muscle. No real reason to cut down to 10% yet. You'll look too thin anyway.

Agreed. I decided years ago to just eat whatever the hell I want starting around Halloween until January 1st. Makes things a bit easier.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    itsflaccoi wrote: »
    hmattinen wrote: »
    I asked that from a Life Time Fitness center instructor - her answer was between 8 - 12 %

I'd disagree with that wholeheartedly.

14-15% is a much more reasonable and appropriate recommendation.

14-15 isnt lean i want to be lean and be as a finishing goal not fat and muscler from bulking at 15% and end up being 20% after my bulk

Which is why you cut after a bulk - you don't bulk in isolation - you run cycles between bulks & cuts.

See your one of those people who arent lean year round when you can be and still reach the same maybe even better goals no reason for me to get fat

Whether or not that poster is lean year round does not invalidate the sound advice they gave you.

So you are the kind of person that asks for help and then insults those helping??? Way to go...
  • itsflaccoi
    itsflaccoi Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I asked that from a Life Time Fitness center instructor - her answer was between 8 - 12 %

14-15 isnt lean i want to be lean and be as a finishing goal not fat and muscler from bulking at 15% and end up being 20% after my bulk

Which is why you cut after a bulk - you don't bulk in isolation - you run cycles between bulks & cuts.

See your one of those people who arent lean year round when you can be and still reach the same maybe even better goals no reason for me to get fat

Whether or not that poster is lean year round does not invalidate the sound advice they gave you.

So you are the kind of person that asks for help and then insults those helping??? Way to go...

You must not under this app than just because advice is given to you doesnt mean you have to accept it or leave "feedback" based on your opinion kinda the whole point of the community feature...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Well, if you "know" that you can bulk without getting fat (despite what several others have told you), then obviously you know how to do it - so nothin' left to do but get busy, right? Why bother asking a bunch of people who you seem to think know less than you?

No sense trying to offer you any more help, you've obviously got it all figured out. Good luck on your journey.
  • ndj1979
    Options

You must not under this app than just because advice is given to you doesnt mean you have to accept it or leave "feedback" based on your opinion kinda the whole point of the community feature...

so if you have all the answers what are you doing on this forum?
  • FireYankee
    FireYankee Posts: 45 Member
    Options

The MOST difficult thing to do in fitness is the lean bulk because it is SLOW. I sincerely attempted a lean bulk and this could just be my experience but it was not successful. I then went onto doing a regular "bulk".

What I was doing was taking my TDEE and adding anywhere between 500-700 CLEAN. I was treating it like competition prep but eating nearly 4000 calories a day. Take it for what you will but back to your original question, I would try to get and maintain as close to 10-12% as possible. That would put you in a position to quickly cut down if you choose for beach season or what have you.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    mjwoodcum wrote: »

The MOST difficult thing to do in fitness is the lean bulk because it is SLOW. I sincerely attempted a lean bulk and this could just be my experience but it was not successful. I then went onto doing a regular "bulk".

What I was doing was taking my TDEE and adding anywhere between 500-700 CLEAN. I was treating it like competition prep but eating nearly 4000 calories a day. Take it for what you will but back to your original question, I would try to get and maintain as close to 10-12% as possible. That would put you in a position to quickly cut down if you choose for beach season or what have you.

eating clean has nothing to do with minimizing fat gains. A 500-700 surplus of clean food will produce the same result as 500-700 of "dirty" (whatever that is) food...

a surplus is a surplus
  • itsflaccoi
    Options

To see what other people's opinions are and if there is any of my knowledge and xp i can give people
  • ndj1979
    Options

To see what other people's opinions are and if there is any of my knowledge and xp i can give people

as you were not aware what body fat % you should be before bulking, I respectfully question your knowledge.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I can definitely understand your reasoning to want to be as lean as possible for starting the bulk. I personally have committed to bulking at a very slow pace for the same reason. However, you do have to be realistic. As it's been pointed out, you're probably not going to have much success trying to gain 15 lbs of muscle within 8 months, unless you cut down to 8-9% body fat first (which is certainly going to require a lot of effort from where you are now).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2015
    Options

If you want to stay ridiculously lean, then start at sub 10%, bulk for 3 months and then cut. Very very slow method but might fit your objective.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I can definitely understand your reasoning to want to be as lean as possible for starting the bulk. I personally have committed to bulking at a very slow pace for the same reason. However, you do have to be realistic. As it's been pointed out, you're probably not going to have much success trying to gain 15 lbs of muscle within 8 months, unless you cut down to 8-9% body fat first (which is certainly going to require a lot of effort from where you are now).

it's extremely hard to do it naturally............

OP - You do understand that your LBM (lean body mass) is relatively low already. (approx. 130-135lbs) By cutting down to 8-10% body fat you're likely to lose even more mass I'd guess 3-5 lbs as you still need to lose another 12-15 lbs to get to that body fat %.

So, now that 15 lbs of muscle that you want to add is going to be 3-5 lbs muscle just to get you to "even." We're just trying to help you out form our own experiences.

• Seif110
    Seif110 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    well man it really depends on you 14 , 15 % is lean enough to start btw if ur gonna go clean about ur bulk ( cardio and moderate surplus) then where u at is perfect to start also keep in mind that if u are going to cut from 15 to 10 % it needs to be done correctly( no rushing) planned workouts and diet , high protein , moderate deficit or u will end up losing muscle or u will binge all the weight back on . best thing to do imo is stand in front of the mirror and imagine ur self 5 to 7 kg of fat lighter if u think u look skinny weak , soft and with no big difference from where u at don't cut , start bulking but if u already have some mass on 15 % bf and u think that u look more ripped vascular , harder def start cutting then bulk
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Bulking in reality is a body building process, that was meant for people that go on stage, and are very close to their genetic potential. If you have only been lifting for 1-3 years it's really not recommended to bulk, it's better to "recomp" or stay at maintenance while building a good foundation of muscle, while learning the proper movements in exercise.

A person making a house wouldn't build a house with no foundation. So, OP with the greatest respect, stop worrying about insignificant numbers that represent nothing. A lot of people have unrealistic expectations of how much muscle they can really achieve naturally, just eating more isn't even close to the right answer, the body can only synthesise so much protein to build muscle, and everyone is different.

A "bulk" is no guarantee of how muscle you will gain and it's easy to be like, " I want to gain 30 pounds." Then that person needs to realise they don't know how much of the 30 pounds is actual muscle, 6 -8 months to bulk, then 10 months to cut, is not worth the time and day if it''s done wrong, statsicly most people do it wrong, by over eating or cutting calories too much!

Yes, there is no guarantee of how muscle you will lose with fat loss trying to achieve a number, and if you didn't have much muscle to begin with, it was a huge waste of time.

I recommend that you continue lifting, keep counting macros/micros, and overall progress in the gym with a journal some tracking method slight caloric increase, like 100-200.

Or, you can stay at maintenance, keep doing cardio and add more sessions to help burn the storage fat, while on a program.

If you're "skinny fat" with minimal muscle, and are not patient, try a slow caloric increase 15%- 20% of your total calories, that's it. It takes a lot time to build muscle. It's years with consistency, not months!

So to reiterate, If you have no muscle and bulk, you will most likely gain the same on a slight caloric increase. Cutting although will help with fat loss, doesn't guarantee how much muscle loss happens. Most people fail at both cutting and bulking, everyone is different.
  • itsflaccoi
    Options

Im not rushing my cut rn thats were i plan to go 8-9%
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Ummm is it just me or is something totally off here..OP said he was a male in his OP, but now appears to have a female picture posted and profile says female....???????????????????
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ummm is it just me or is something totally off here..OP said he was a male in his OP, but now appears to have a female picture posted and profile says female....???????????????????

Profile still says Male, though if it is a woman 15.8% would be a great bf% to start a bulk.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    JoshLibby wrote: »
    Bulking in reality is a body building process, that was meant for people that go on stage, and are very close to their genetic potential. If you have only been lifting for 1-3 years it's really not recommended to bulk, it's better to "recomp" or stay at maintenance while building a good foundation of muscle, while learning the proper movements in exercise.

A person making a house wouldn't build a house with no foundation. So, OP with the greatest respect, stop worrying about insignificant numbers that represent nothing. A lot of people have unrealistic expectations of how much muscle they can really achieve naturally, just eating more isn't even close to the right answer, the body can only synthesise so much protein to build muscle, and everyone is different.

A "bulk" is no guarantee of how muscle you will gain and it's easy to be like, " I want to gain 30 pounds." Then that person needs to realise they don't know how much of the 30 pounds is actual muscle, 6 -8 months to bulk, then 10 months to cut, is not worth the time and day if it''s done wrong, statsicly most people do it wrong, by over eating or cutting calories too much!

Yes, there is no guarantee of how muscle you will lose with fat loss trying to achieve a number, and if you didn't have much muscle to begin with, it was a huge waste of time.

I recommend that you continue lifting, keep counting macros/micros, and overall progress in the gym with a journal some tracking method slight caloric increase, like 100-200.

Or, you can stay at maintenance, keep doing cardio and add more sessions to help burn the storage fat, while on a program.

If you're "skinny fat" with minimal muscle, and are not patient, try a slow caloric increase 15%- 20% of your total calories, that's it. It takes a lot time to build muscle. It's years with consistency, not months!

So to reiterate, If you have no muscle and bulk, you will most likely gain the same on a slight caloric increase. Cutting although will help with fat loss, doesn't guarantee how much muscle loss happens. Most people fail at both cutting and bulking, everyone is different.

Honestly, this post confuses me...

You say it's worthless to bulk and that we should recomp, but then later on recommend increasing calories if skinny fat 15% to 20% (which means bulk even though you don't want to call it that).

There really are 3 options, cut, recomp/maintain, bulk. Which are you saying based on the OP's criteria?
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    just do whatever you feel is right, if that is cutting to 10% first and then working up with a small (5-15% surplus) than just do it. if you do i reccomend using a reverse diet when your done cutting
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It's going to vary from person to person but I don't think it's a good idea for most males to begin a bulk at 15% body-fat.

It's very likely that if you do this, 4 weeks into the bulk you are going to not be happy with how you look and you'll turn around and start cutting again.

For most people I think 10-12% body-fat is about right.