• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I fast, it works for me.
  • Elen1a
    Elen1a Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I fast, it works for me.

With a healthy attitude towards food and the right mindset, there's nothing wrong with fasting.

The people claiming that it's mentally unhealthy to fast or whatever clearly don't have this, but each to their own. I've already deleted one account on here as I got bullied over the unhealthiness of alternate day fasting as opposed to 1200 cal/ day diets, binging and over-exercising (lol), so I'll admit I'm somewhat sensitive on the subject.

ITT: alternate day fasting, 4:3, 5:2, 16:8, lean-gains etc etc - great. Wonderful. A weight-loss tool like any other. 60 day juice fasts or whatever - probably not. But there is a difference :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Elen1a wrote: »
    I fast, it works for me.

With a healthy attitude towards food and the right mindset, there's nothing wrong with fasting.

The people claiming that it's mentally unhealthy to fast or whatever clearly don't have this, but each to their own. I've already deleted one account on here as I got bullied over the unhealthiness of alternate day fasting as opposed to 1200 cal/ day diets, binging and over-exercising (lol), so I'll admit I'm somewhat sensitive on the subject.

ITT: alternate day fasting, 4:3, 5:2, 16:8, lean-gains etc etc - great. Wonderful. A weight-loss tool like any other. 60 day juice fasts or whatever - probably not. But there is a difference :)

It's awfully rude to suggest that those of us in the thread who don't do IF (same as alternate day fasting) do 1200, binge, and overexercise, and also not accurate.

Also, no one has said negative things about IFing in the thread. What we've said negative things about are 60 day juice fasts which are entirely different. Sigh.
  • Elen1a
    Elen1a Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I didn't for one moment assume that everyone not doing ADF etc or whatever eats 1200 and binges. I'm just saying in my case the person attacking me did. I apologise if I wasn't clear on that.

Sigh all you want. But if my point was unclear to you, then logically a few posters above declaring that fasting "being mentally unhealthy" might also be seen as unclear, you see.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Your point wasn't unclear, but this thread is not about IF.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Juicing. Fasting. So which is it? They're the same? I'm confused.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I'd see juicing as just making and drinking some juice as part of your overall diet. Not my thing as I prefer whole vegetables and fruits, but great for those who enjoy it. (IMO smoothies are a better alternative, though, even if you want to drink your produce, since you keep all the fiber.)

Juice fasting is consuming nothing but juice and is what I consider unhealthy over a longer period of time and is what is promoted by the movie that's this thread is about (given the title). The problem with juice fasting is that it tends to be a VLCD and also lacks protein and healthy fat.

Just plain fasting, of course, is going without food (or some non fast "fasts" that are part of various religious traditions where you go without certain foods or limit food or don't eat at certain times of the day). No one is saying short fasts or partial fasts as done for religious reasons are unhealthy.

Intermittent fasting is limiting the window in which you eat according to some plan -- eating low calories on one day and maintenance on another or having a 6 hour eating window every day or some such. It's not what this thread is about and I don't see anyone claiming it's unhealthy.

I think I covered it, but most likely there are things I forgot so others should add! ;-)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think smoothies (with the fiber) are healthier than juicing. But yes: eating more nutrient dense plants is good.

I agree with this. I also see no benefits to blending it up vs. eating it whole (and even eating some or many vegetables cooked), unless for some reason someone won't eat them otherwise.

But I'm in favor of eating lots of nutrient dense plants as part of an overall balanced diet with adequate protein.

I do make some smoothies, for variety more than anything. But yes.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think smoothies (with the fiber) are healthier than juicing. But yes: eating more nutrient dense plants is good.

I agree with this. I also see no benefits to blending it up vs. eating it whole (and even eating some or many vegetables cooked), unless for some reason someone won't eat them otherwise.

But I'm in favor of eating lots of nutrient dense plants as part of an overall balanced diet with adequate protein.

I do make some smoothies, for variety more than anything. But yes.

I tend to enjoy smoothies a lot in the summer when it's too hot to feel like eating. Something cold to drink just seems to hit the spot.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    nevermind.
  • maramamoon
    maramamoon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    im on a mixture of a juicing for breakfast and lunch. dinner i eat a soley plant based meal. i have had a dramatic improvement in my health as i have identified my allergies have a strong food link. this is third week and i am going through a transition of reintroducing more whole foods back in. i have used smoothies for years but the difference between juicing and smoothies is vast. the nutrients you can pack into a juice i couldn't eat all that food even if i tried. the weight loss was also helpful but what it has done as knocked my cravings for unhealthy foods. i have been involved with preparing food for lots of xmas parties and haven't felt tempted. it's been a great kick start into eating more plants.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,969 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I enjoyed that show. It seemed like a liquified Pritkin (sp?) diet, which has been shown to help the health of many.

It motivated me to get a really powerful blender so I could drink my veggies, and make healthful drinks for my kids. I like the idea of smoothies more than juice.

@nvmomketo - I finally watched the movie and am also interested in getting a more powerful blender in order to up our veggies. What brand did you go with? (Feel free to continue this via PM.)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I was given a vitamix from a group of people a few years ago. It is an incredibly powerful blender and could shred a hockey puck. LOL It costs a LOT but it is excellent.

I also use it to made flours, soups, and even nut milks.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I was given a vitamix from a group of people a few years ago. It is an incredibly powerful blender and could shred a hockey puck. LOL It costs a LOT but it is excellent.

Oh I think I hate you!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

Oh I think I hate you!

I don't know where rest of my post went! Any ways I wAs saying how awesome to be given a vita mix. I just got a ninja pro so I'll see how goes it! I have a juicer but want to try a good blender
  • kshama2001
    Options

Oh I think I hate you!

I don't know where rest of my post went! Any ways I was saying how awesome to be given a vita mix. I just got a ninja pro so I'll see how goes it! I have a juicer but want to try a good blender

I am shopping for Ninjas now. They seem to be about half the price of VitaMix, which would have been my first choice otherwise. Some family friends love their Ninja and I have just emailed to find out what model they have.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Oh I think I hate you!

I don't know where rest of my post went! Any ways I was saying how awesome to be given a vita mix. I just got a ninja pro so I'll see how goes it! I have a juicer but want to try a good blender

I am shopping for Ninjas now. They seem to be about half the price of VitaMix, which would have been my first choice otherwise. Some family friends love their Ninja and I have just emailed to find out what model they have.

I have the Nutri Ninja with Auto-IQ (bullet style), and had the Ninja Mega Kitchen System (wife took it when she left :( ). They are both great, and I highly recommend them. The auto-IQ is nice for smoothies, but I like the regular system for food processing (sauces, kneading pizza dough, etc.).

I'm using my sister's food processor now, and it's nowhere near as good.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've got the nutri ninja, it handles everything I throw at it :smiley:

I've used it every single day since March this year, never had a problem.
  • kshama2001
    edited December 2015
    Options
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Oh I think I hate you!

LOL I know! It was an Xmas gift from a big group and my hubby. :)