Fat sick and nearly dead

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    How does fasting help for "health reasons"?

I think a 60 day juice fast (is that what someone did???) is kind of out there and probably not great, but I know I've read stuff here and there about occasional fasting somehow promoting longevity (heads up, haven't looked much into this! but e.g. https://news.usc.edu/82959/diet-that-mimics-fasting-appears-to-slow-aging/ )

And people do sometimes fast for religious reasons to no ill effect.

I wouldn't do it just to lose weight. I wouldn't do it at all, actually - I can fast for about four hours, max, before I start feeling crappy.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

I think a 60 day juice fast (is that what someone did???) is kind of out there and probably not great, but I know I've read stuff here and there about occasional fasting somehow promoting longevity (heads up, haven't looked much into this! but e.g. https://news.usc.edu/82959/diet-that-mimics-fasting-appears-to-slow-aging/ )

I wouldn't do it just to lose weight. I wouldn't do it at all, actually - I can fast for about four hours, max, before I start feeling crappy.

Yeah, it's what the guy in Fat, Sick and nearly Dead did.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

I know. :|
  • tomatoey
    Options

I know. :|

Yeah, that's not health-related, just saying fasting's not necessarily the worst thing in the world.
  • tomatoey
    Options

Yeah, it's what the guy in Fat, Sick and nearly Dead did.

I gathered, was just in slight shock. So extreme!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    In an effort to remain a vegetarian and still lose, juicing was one of the diets I tried with my previous dietitian. I lasted 2 weeks. I gained 2lbs and starved the entire time. I absolutely could not sustain it. It also felt so incredibly wasteful. Even if I had lost and it had been sustainable, ethically I couldn't continue wasting so much food. If someone can sustain themselves on it long-term, that's awesome. Personally, I could not.

I watched the movie and sort of got a lady boner over the Joe guy, but it was all the accent. And he had some nice shoes in a couple of shots, but really, the accent.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I enjoyed that show. It seemed like a liquified Pritkin (sp?) diet, which has been shown to help the health of many.

It motivated me to get a really powerful blender so I could drink my veggies, and make healthful drinks for my kids. I like the idea of smoothies more than juice.

Fasting can be good for you too. I do it once in a while too.

Pritikin diet. The German wikipedia article lists some extra disadvantages the english one doesn't.
    *Small and possibly boring amount of choices
    *Long term supply of important nutrients is not guaranteed, especially iron, iodine and calcium
    *possible low energy and protein intake (ad lib I guess)
    *bloating and diarrhea from the high fiber contents
    *worse concentration, tiredness and anxiety symptoms

Oh, also it apparently suggests eating no more than 650 kcal per day.

I doubt many Pritikin dieters subsist at 650 kcal per day. It's a bad business plan to kill off your customers.

I never said I did it. I said it reminded my of a liquified Pritikin diet.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Most people, especially Americans, will do anything except buy, prep, cook and eat healthy REAL foods.

During the pushy MLM days of "whole foods" in capsule form I had numerous people approach and try to sell me on the idea ( because I was overweight) the "FACT" that I needed 12 serving of fruits and veggies a day. yada yada..then they tried to sell me JARS of DRIED up foods in capsule form to "make it easy" ( because we know fat people are too lazy to cook, or think, right?)

So I would look at these nut jobs and ask them "Why on earth, if real food was best that they were selling me desiccated foods in pill form"? they never had any other answer than "easy" and so the same old marketing/sales tricks from the beginning of time continue every decade, slightly altered.

just look at moms pushing ONLY soy milk on children from birth and see the damage being done, especially to boys with too many hormones… and the HCG ( pregnant woman's urine) sold as "Drops" when it is the 500 calories a day that actually causes weight loss..

Common Sense and real food seems an expired concept.

Juicing IS totally wasteful..and the fiber, normally eaten with the fruit is lost ( I doubt many save it and make fibrous carrot/zucchini bread, etc)
  • DancesWithDogz
    DancesWithDogz Posts: 107 Member
    Options

following... I want to hear the answer to this one too. Fasting in general, is not healthy...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    I also didn't understand the cost of all the juicing. Fruits and vegetables aren't cheap. When you juice them, you need TONS to work with (that's how it came across to me.) It seems like a complicated, expensive way to lose weight you will likely regain.

^This. I was a raw vegan for a while and I drank a lot of veggie/fruit smoothies during that time. This was right around the time gas prices went through the roof and grocery costs rose as a result. We were spending a ridiculous amount of money on food to support my WOE.

I had to give it up because we could no longer afford it.

I'm not a big fan of juicing on principle. I think that if you're going to go that route, you should at least keep the fiber and do smoothies. But I'm not a fan of going that route.
  • mellowadam
    mellowadam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Watch the sequel. Joe and Phil both get fat again. Super expensive too and you waste all that good fiber in the produce!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    How is what Joe did any different than something like bariatric surgery? I don't think juicing all your meals is the best thing in the world but if someone takes away from the movie that whole fruits and veg > junk food then good for them. I don't think the point of the documentary was for everyone to follow what Joe did, it was meant to make people more aware of their food choices.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    How is what Joe did any different than something like bariatric surgery? I don't think juicing all your meals is the best thing in the world but if someone takes away from the movie that whole fruits and veg > junk food then good for them. I don't think the point of the documentary was for everyone to follow what Joe did, it was meant to make people more aware of their food choices.

Considering bariatric surgery is medically prescribed and the follow up is medically supervised and what Joe did was neither, your post crumbles quickly.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

following... I want to hear the answer to this one too. Fasting in general, is not healthy...

Ummmmm......no. Fasting is fantastic for your physical and mental health. There are studies all over the place.

• Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and I truly love my plant-based diet. If it is something you are remotely interested in, I encourage you to investigate it. That said, while I admire Joe's dedication to getting healthy, his actions were very extreme. Juicing to that extent is just not necessary for the majority of us.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Ummmmm......no. Fasting is fantastic for your physical and mental health. There are studies all over the place.

Fantastic? It's mentally healthy to be hungry? No.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

Although not many studies exist there is evidence intermittent fasting is good for neurotransmitters, specially serotonin and norepinephrine.

There's isn't many sources but an interesting read
    http://www.nationalelfservice.net/mental-health/depression/can-intermittent-fasting-improve-mood/
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    mellowadam wrote: »
    Watch the sequel. Joe and Phil both get fat again. Super expensive too and you waste all that good fiber in the produce!

I knew Phil gained all his weight back, but Joe too?!

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    roblloyd89 wrote: »
    kkenseth wrote: »

Although not many studies exist there is evidence intermittent fasting is good for neurotransmitters, specially serotonin and norepinephrine.

There's isn't many sources but an interesting read
    http://www.nationalelfservice.net/mental-health/depression/can-intermittent-fasting-improve-mood/

I'll stick to medical and scientific sources.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I had to give it up because we could no longer afford it.

I believe it.