Best Food Swaps

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    Oh I made shirataki fettucini and chick alfredo tonight for 390 calories. Serving was so big I ate it out of a mixing bowl.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    jensauce wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that doesn't seem like a great substitute. You could have a little dark chocolate, or mix some cocoa powder in greek yogurt, a couple servings of chocolate frozen yogurt...

I have tried that but usually if I eat anything chocolaty I usually end up binging ...hardcore. lol.

With the raisins I limit it to 1/4 serving every time.

Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for the constructive criticism! :)

If raisins work for you as a replacement then great! But if they stop working try very dark chocolate. I buy it at 90%, or 80% if they don't have 90% available. It's so rich and nicely bitter that you can't eat it fast, and by the time you are done you will be surprised that it only takes a square or two to satisfy you. It's like magic to me!
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If raisins work for you as a replacement then great! But if they stop working try very dark chocolate. I buy it at 90%, or 80% if they don't have 90% available. It's so rich and nicely bitter that you can't eat it fast, and by the time you are done you will be surprised that it only takes a square or two to satisfy you. It's like magic to me!

I especially enjoy the aftertaste of some really dark chocolate! After only a couple of bites, the aftertaste reminds me of the (good) feeling after devouring milk chocolate. But with milk chocolate, it's so easy to go overboard and maybe get a little nauseous :#
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

I especially enjoy the aftertaste of some really dark chocolate! After only a couple of bites, the aftertaste reminds me of the (good) feeling after devouring milk chocolate. But with milk chocolate, it's so easy to go overboard and maybe get a little nauseous :#

Exactly! That lingering taste is what does it. You can get an explosion of taste even from the tiniest bites! Some people may need to work their way up the darkness ladder. A while ago I offered some 90% chocolate to a friend, and watching her facial expressions was interesting to say the least. Her eyes disappeared and her face made the most amusing shapes, then she said "no thank you, I will stick to milk chocolate"
  • kdcomstock89
    kdcomstock89 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    http://smilesandwich.com/2014/12/15/cheesy-spaghetti-squash-casserole/

If I'm craving something greasy and cheesy. Calories are pretty low per serving and it tastes like you're eating something really indulgent.
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    speaking of spaghetti squash, scroll down to the taco bake. Its freaking amazing. http://www.hungry-girl.com/weekly-recipes/show/2507-healthy-pasta-recipes-veggie-spaghetti-taco-spaghetti-squash-bake
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I second (third and fourth) a good quality dark chocolate. Depending on the bar I buy it's 50 cals a square - I usually eat two and my sweet tooth is satisfied. For those salty chip cravings I like to make popcorn with a teeny bit of coconut oil and some salt and nutritional yeast on top after it's popped. I also recently discovered something called Veggie Straws Healthy Portions (or something like that) and you can have quite a few for a serving and it banished my salty craving. Oh yeah, and a large caramel flavoured rice cake with a smear of peanut butter is a good "dessert" too for about 120 cals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with chocolate...dark chocolate in fact is packed with awesome nutrition.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    CandiceMcD wrote: »
    speaking of spaghetti squash, scroll down to the taco bake. Its freaking amazing. http://www.hungry-girl.com/weekly-recipes/show/2507-healthy-pasta-recipes-veggie-spaghetti-taco-spaghetti-squash-bake

Sadly, I can't do Hungry Girl. Her recipes usually contain ingredients that are hard to find for me or that I don't care for (fat-free cheese is an abomination that should be formally outlawed)
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Usually a cup of hot cocoa or 2 squares of dark chocolate are enough for me. For the hot cocoa my favorite low calorie brand is options. I always throw a splash of soy milk in to make it creamier <3
  • jensauce
    jensauce Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but that doesn't seem like a great substitute. You could have a little dark chocolate, or mix some cocoa powder in greek yogurt, a couple servings of chocolate frozen yogurt...

I have tried that but usually if I eat anything chocolaty I usually end up binging ...hardcore. lol.

With the raisins I limit it to 1/4 serving every time.

Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for the constructive criticism! :)

I will give it a try! But I love dark chocolate too so I am a little apprehensive lol.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I don't go for substitutes much, I like most foods the way they are. The only exception is I started to add cauliflower to my mashed potatoes to actually make my daughter eat at least one cruciferous vegetable. I usually put 3-4 times more potatoes than cauliflower, with the milk and a touch of butter and all, it's hardly noticeable.
  • neversaynever_43
    neversaynever_43 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I fit in chocolate almost every day. I don't love dark chocolate. But I will get fun size packages of my faves - usually around 70-90 calories depending on if it involves peanuts. Since I made cookies over the weekend, I had a half chocolate chip cookie for lunch. Sounds criminal to cut a cookie in half but it was a big cookie and hit the spot.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I like raisins, but if I want chocolate I'm going to have chocolate. One square of the bag I buy is 60 calories.
    This. :)
    I love my chocolate far too much to give it up. Any time I gave up my favorite foods to lose weight, I'd end up miserable.

If it fits in my daily calories, I'll definitely eat it. :)
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i can't do substitutes. If I want a donut I'm eating that donut, if I want chips I'm eating the chips, if i want chocolate esp if I'm PMS'ing good luck taking it away from me. My brain is to smart and substitutes just make me want it even more. Chocolate especially dark has some pretty cool health benefits.. like wine. mmmm wine.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I just discovered a somewhat healthy way to curb my chocolate cravings. I've been using it for the last week and a half with great success (I've avoided chocolate all together).
    1/4 of raisins.

Lots of sugar still but it has got to be better than chocolate, right?

:)

Why are raisins better than chocolate?

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I just discovered a somewhat healthy way to curb my chocolate cravings. I've been using it for the last week and a half with great success (I've avoided chocolate all together).
    1/4 of raisins.

I'd never skip chocolate for raisins. I'd just eat an amount of chocolate that fit into my calorie goals.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Oh I made shirataki fettucini and chick alfredo tonight for 390 calories. Serving was so big I ate it out of a mixing bowl.

Your shiritake suggestion for swapping out pasta has completely saved me. I love to eat volume when it comes to pasta, but can't do that on my limited calorie goal. I can eat a plateful of shirtake and chicken breast. OMG.
  • SuzieQzie123
    SuzieQzie123 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream, helps meet my protein macros and I can't taste a difference.

When I'm in the mood for cookies, I look up a recipe using blanched almond flour and honey instead of flour and sugar for extra nutrients. Different texture, but my family enjoys it all the same.

Light unsweetened almond milk(40 calories) in place of organic 1% milk (which is 110 calories) mixed in with my protein shake.

Turkey bacon and turkey pepperoni instead of regular bacon and pepperoni, less calories.

Hebrew Natuonal reduced fat turkey hot dogs, only 45 calories, instead of regular hotdogs.

Almond oil over canola, Brown rice instead of white.

Those are just a few of the many lower calorie/healthier substitutions I use. I'd love to hear substitutions that other people use.

I use a lot of these subs as well..

My favorite sub is cauliflower puree in place of mashed potatoes. My kids actually like it better as they have never been fans of mashed potatoes.

Spaghetti squash vs. spaghetti. In our house we usually have a pasta night at least once per weekly rotation so this way, I just make up some squash for me and, we all use the same sauce.

When the family cracks a bag of chips during a movie, I get out my skinny pop and get to enjoy almost 4 cups for 150 calories.

Last make your own pizza night, I used a portabello mushroom cap in place of the greek pita I put out for the rest of the family.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    1/4 of raisins.

the sugar in raisins is the same as sugar in chocolate…

just eat the treats you enjoy, get adequate nutrition, hit your macros, and maintain a calorie deficit.