Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    dhaug44 wrote: »
    I have muscle to lose

why on earth would you want to lose muscle????
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Is this the Twilight Zone? In what world does a guy act flippant about losing muscle for spring break where, presumably he's trying to look better shirtless?
  • dhaug44
    dhaug44 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Well I am a very strong guy a have a gut that needs to go haha what would you recommend for goals then?

When you say you have muscle to lose have you been lifting for a long time, HS athlete and just get into 1 or 2 too many beers and pizzas in college? Or not really been working out long term and think you're muscular?

If you're really 6'2" and muscular now with a gut, getting down to 200 and really lean will make you look like one of the skinny A&F models. Fitness models and NFL receivers your height are around 210-225 and ripped. I'd watch the diet, lift heavy, work some HIIT along with the running and shoot for the 215-220 range. Much more doable from a weight loss perspective and you'll look damn good on the beach.

Good luck.

Thanks for the productive feedback and no I've been power lifting since I was 14 I played D1 college football for 2 years and got way bigger than I wanted. I don't feel good being this big my I have serious knee and back issues which is why I no longer play. The only thing I have ever done is eat eat eat and lift lift lift.
  • dhaug44
    Options
    If it helps any my body fat percentage for my legs is 4% back 5% arms 3% shoulders 3% and abdomen is 24%
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I have muscle to lose

Who wants to lose muscle :D

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Well I am a very strong guy a have a gut that needs to go haha what would you recommend for goals then?

When you say you have muscle to lose have you been lifting for a long time, HS athlete and just get into 1 or 2 too many beers and pizzas in college? Or not really been working out long term and think you're muscular?

If you're really 6'2" and muscular now with a gut, getting down to 200 and really lean will make you look like one of the skinny A&F models. Fitness models and NFL receivers your height are around 210-225 and ripped. I'd watch the diet, lift heavy, work some HIIT along with the running and shoot for the 215-220 range. Much more doable from a weight loss perspective and you'll look damn good on the beach.

Good luck.

Thanks for the productive feedback and no I've been power lifting since I was 14 I played D1 college football for 2 years and got way bigger than I wanted. I don't feel good being this big my I have serious knee and back issues which is why I no longer play. The only thing I have ever done is eat eat eat and lift lift lift.

I would think you could eat 2100-2300 calories per day. You might not get to 200 but you will lose at a good rate and will look good. My husband is pretty much the same size as you (6'2", 242 this morning) and losing at least 2 pounds per week on 2300 per day. He's also nearly twice as old as you (40) and not as active (does C25k 3x/wk.) If you keep up your exercise program you're going to do well. Don't focus on hitting X weight by Y date though. Many (if not most) people get freaked out once they get close to Y date and figure out that they aren't going to hit X weight. Just pay attention to what you see in the mirror. Good luck.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    siluridae wrote: »
    I have muscle to lose

You have muscle to lose? Not very often we hear that. Most people want to look good when they are done, not just weigh less and look skinny fat.

Who says he's gonna look skinny fat?
    There are varying degrees of muscle mass you can have that all looks good.

If he has that much fat to lose, and instead crash diets and loses muscle (it is the best source of nutrients for your body when it is in crisis), how do you think it will turn out?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Good luck.

My sons and nephew are around your height and age so I know guys that age look like. My younger son played HS football as undersized lineman (6'2" and 200 pounds) and was looked by several D3 schools. All of them said they would 60-70 pounds on him. He declined as he didn't want to get in your current situation.

As others have said, focus more on how you look and feel but I will maintain the 215-220 range would be decent to shoot for if looking for a number and doable by spring break (dropping 1-2 pounds a week). See how you look and feel, but assuming you're lifting and running for the long term, that range will probably be a good, sustainable weight for you.

For diet, look to get around .75-1.0g of protein per pound of bodyweight and 80-90% of you calories from nutrient dense foods. Doesn't have to be every day, but should balance out over a week or so. This will help maintain the muscle mass which you really don't want to lose.

If your shoulder is still bothering you look at ways to train around it. A search at T-Nation gives a bunch of articles with ideas

https://www.t-nation.com/searchResults.jsp?cx=016420786931182441572:kswwmllusns&cof=FORID:10&ie=UTF-8&q=work+around+shoulder+injury&sa=&siteurl=www.t-nation.com/&ref=&ss=12119j6259329j41&siteurl=www.t-nation.com/&ref=&ss=12119j6258997j41

Good luck.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I have muscle to lose

Why would you want to lose muscle to hit an arbitrary number?

You may look better at 210 with extra muscle mass
  • dhaug44
    Options
    ryry62685 wrote: »
    I have muscle to lose

I'd rather lose fat but the 2 go together and I would like to be smaller in general cut yes but smaller as well my size has caused problems for me
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    ryry62685 wrote: »
    I have muscle to lose

I'd rather lose fat but the 2 go together and I would like to be smaller in general cut yes but smaller as well my size has caused problems for me

You actually could be "smaller" at 210 than at 200 if your BF% at 210 is less than at 200.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    There have been several NFL players that have dropped significant weight after their playing days. Jeff Saturday being one that comes to mind. Might be interesting to Google a bit to see what they are doing long term.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    There have been several NFL players that have dropped significant weight after their playing days. Jeff Saturday being one that comes to mind. Might be interesting to Google a bit to see what they are doing long term.

A lot of them just came back to eating like a normal person again.