Christmas time, don't panic!

Replies

• LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    I'm in preparation mode at the moment, losing a lot of weight before Christmas so I can indulge over the holidays! I'm going home (which is half way across the world) for 3 weeks to see my friends and boyfriend so I think there'll be a lot of late nights, a lot of festive drinking and very few gym days... I've never been so calm about the thought of it!
    And yes, Christmas only happens once a year, let yourself go a bit! I've never been one for the dinner feasts, I prefer Bailey's in my coffee and lots of chocolate in the AM, that's when I indulge :P
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Well I remember last year I was terrified of the holidays. I suffered with bulimia for years and determined with the recovery process I have been working on not to relapse. I will enjoy myself, family and friends, boyfriend, and after the holidays jump right back into mainly focusing on school and weight loss. But I will be determined not to let myself binge or throw up or any type of purging. I will keep what my therapist told me in the back of my mind. I know I can do this. I am not my eating disorder. I am me...end of story.

Great mindset! You rock!!
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    I tend not to worry. I've learned to not always say no but also not to always say yes. Just because the food is there doesn't mean I have to eat it.
  • JVS1
    JVS1 Posts: 20 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    What is christmas cake?

Alcohol-infused fruit cake covered in marzipan and white icing.

• serasmommy
    serasmommy Posts: 61 Member
    I like this. Thank you. I'm enjoying all the foodz.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,832 Member
    roblloyd89 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I'll just say exactly what I said in another thread ...

My plan is this:

I am about 2 kg from my goal. I am sticking to my diet right now, and will continue to do so up till about Dec 21, 22 or 23. I'll decide when I get there. If all goes well, I might lose those last 2 kg or close to it, and will switch to maintenance.

My work forces us all to take 10 days off over Christmas. If all goes well, I'm hoping we'll actually have some decent summer weather then, and I plan to exercise a lot in that time.

During that time, I also plan to take a diet break. I'll eat whatever I want to eat for those 10 days, and possibly the day before and after too.

Then I'll reassess where I am. I may need to go back onto the diet again for January ... or maybe all the exercise I've done will compensate, and I'll just continue with maintenance. :)

No need for panic ... it's all under control. :)

Good, that's what I like to hear, and congrats on your achievements btw, you're so close!

Thanks! Looking forward to the new year! :)

• Machka9
    edited December 2015
    roblloyd89 wrote: »
    What is christmas cake?

Usually fruit cake, I think.

Disappointing.

Humbug, you've never had Christmas pudding? It's more than just a fruit cake, it's filled with brandy and topped with the finest ice cream the world has ever known.

I've known about fruit cake since I was born, but my Australian husband introduced to me to Christmas pudding just a few years ago. Oh yeah, let me tell you ... there will be Christmas pudding this year!

• Machka9
    JVS1 wrote: »
    What is christmas cake?

Alcohol-infused fruit cake covered in marzipan and white icing.

Thanks for reminding me ... I have to pick up marzipan when I get my halva!

• sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    What is christmas cake?

Red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting. Yummy!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Why do people panic around the holidays? Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc only come around once a year. Enjoy it and relax.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I started cutting 100 extra calories a day off my normal intake on Monday. I'll do this week days up until Christmas with the exception of party nights.
    That way my blow outs don't change my weight for any longer than a week.

Life is too short to not enjoy the holidays with my family the way I like too :)
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Why do people panic around the holidays? Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc only come around once a year. Enjoy it and relax.

Damn straight
  • robs_ready
    I started cutting 100 extra calories a day off my normal intake on Monday. I'll do this week days up until Christmas with the exception of party nights.
    That way my blow outs don't change my weight for any longer than a week.

Life is too short to not enjoy the holidays with my family the way I like too :)

Amen, life's too short to deny a mince pie
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member

I suspect it's because people think of their eating habits as being either "good" or "bad". Once they've stopped being "good" they feel like they may as well keep being "bad". "I've blown it, might as well eat all the things."

I used to feel this way. Which is now why I now propagate the "There is no wagon" mindset.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Can we at least agree that it is not ONE DAY of overeating? I mean, I've already had two attend two work parties with gobs of food, and have two more scheduled before we finally get a break. Then I have to celebrate several Christmases--with Mom, then with Dad, then with my sister and her husband. And of course there are tons of leftovers. So it's not really ONE DAY of overeating....
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    You all think Christmas is bad? My twins (turning ten) have their birthday on the 21st, so birthday dinner, cake, all the hoopla and then of course, Christmas eve and Christmas days, we have special foods and for fun, I have a daughter whose birthday falls on the 27th, so another birthday dinner and more cake.

It's a week of FOOD.

Actually, eating it doesn't freak me out and even if I eat at maintenance, I know to just jump back in after that last birthday dinner but it's exhausting!

In case anyone thinks I'm guilty of poor planning, those three birthdays so close, my twins were actually due on Valentines day but had to be delivered 8 weeks early.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Already had 2 Christmas get togethers, have 3 more to go, not including Christmas Day. Then 12 days of 2 separate vacations where I plan to eat lots of Chicago deep dish, yummy creole food in NOLA, and dessert(s) every day. I travel for the food. Back to my regularly scheduled program on Jan 5th. I'm sure I'll look a little puffy for about a week thereafter but it will have been well worth it.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Well said OP. 2 days of cheating won't ruin your weight loss. I would say have a bit of moderation but still.
  • robs_ready
    Can we at least agree that it is not ONE DAY of overeating? I mean, I've already had two attend two work parties with gobs of food, and have two more scheduled before we finally get a break. Then I have to celebrate several Christmases--with Mom, then with Dad, then with my sister and her husband. And of course there are tons of leftovers. So it's not really ONE DAY of overeating....

Let's say 7 days of overeating. Let's say you consume 7000 calories over your bmr, you'll put on 2 lbs.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member

You don't have to overeat on all of these occasions. If you "had to" attend the work parties you didn't have to eat large portions or highly caloric foods. Leftovers don't have to be eaten.

For me, personally, I'm scheduling 4 days of feasting, and I anticipate I'll gain about 2 pounds as @roblloyd89 says. I'll probably sneak in a few Christmas cookies along the way too.