Canned Tuna, diet food or enjoyable?

Options
124»

Replies

• dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I love the pouches of tuna. Sweet and spicey is my favorite. I try to limit myself to 3 times a week because of mercury.
  • ekruska802
    ekruska802 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Love tuna! It was always a little bit of a treat to have a tuna sandwich as a kid. Now I eat it a couple times a month because it's easy and I like it.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I like to take a whole wheat English muffin, Split and toast it, then add some solid canned tuna, top with extra sharp shredded cheddar, then microwave until the cheese melts. It's a low calorie tuna melt that I enjoy and fills me up.
  • brandid34
    brandid34 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I make what my family calls Big Tuna it's canned tuna very little mayo diced avocado jalapeño bell peppers and cilantro. We eat it like dip with crackers.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I got genuinely worried about mercury poisoning earlier this year when I realised I had 5 cans a week during summer, tuna salad is endlessly delicious to me and meant I didn't have to think about what to make for lunch ever.

I've never liked canned tuna hot before, but last week I made an amazing meal with tuna, quinoa, peppers, spinach, onions, teriyaki seasoning and edamame. First time I've really enjoyed hot canned tuna.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I love it with avocado and chopped pickles and/or radishes, or mixed with creamy coleslaw and tabasco as a quick, high-protein snack.
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I enjoy canned tuna (in water). I either make a tuna pasta salad, tuna sandwich or tuna casserole with it. I eat it whether I am dieting or maintaining.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Tigg_er wrote: »
    Usually at least once a week. Some times with some hot sauce blended in with onions.

s5c44j5bskvb.jpg

Yep, this is the brand I eat too. I was on a diet once that had me eating a lot of tuna. Got to where I couldn't look at the stuff. Finally got over it though and love it again. I usually eat it once or twice a week. I don't even think of it as diet food anymore. Just something I enjoy.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I only eat canned tuna with copious amounts of mayo....like 1/2 cup or more per can. Soo....I don't have mayo very often, lol!
  • mkakids
    Options
    gatorsong wrote: »
    I will use chunk white (only occasionally though) and just eat it with some black pepper and crackers or toast. I use chunk light for anything that I'm mixing it with...

Wait. ..there's a difference?
  • mkakids
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    A friend of mine told me for snacks, I should get the Gerber Graduate snacks that are shaped like stars and come in different flavors like apple and pears as they're really light in calories. Like 150 calories for the entire container. :)

I always steal a few from the baby too, lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I love canned tuna, but I don't have it often and make sure it is light tuna (less mercury). I actually prefer canned salmon though

I eat canned salmon more often than tuna as it is cheaper and lower in mercury.

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/guide.asp
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Whatever you like. I didn't eat it much while losing, I don't eat it now, but it's mostly because I just don't really like it. I used to like the kind you found in France (in tomato sauce) but I haven't found it here sadly, or I would definitely eat that.

Lots of options on Amazon! (You have to dig through them to find ones that aren't ridiculously priced, as is sometimes the case with grocery items on Amazon.)
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Love me some canned tuna! Water packed only, though. I accidentally bought oil packed once. Blergh!
    Until I did my own grocery shopping as an adult, I didn't know there was such a thing as solid white water-packed tuna. My mother always bought chunk light in oil when we were kids... I couldn't eat that today any more than I could eat that bologna she used to buy that had the plastic wrap still around the edges. "Blergh", indeed!

Solid white tuna in those little teeny cans is a great stash item for the office... I've been known to crack one open to tide me over if I end up working through my lunch unexpectedly. Fills me right up.
  • vegemitesandwich
    vegemitesandwich Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I missed a thread on basically my favourite food!

Canned tuna is a staple for me, from having it in sandwiches when I was a kid (used to make my mum wretch when she made them for me) to now as an adult it's honestly one of my favourite foods. I probably get through 7 or 8 small cans a week when I'm calorie counting, and 3 or 4 when I'm not - always in oil though, I refuse to have it in springwater/brine despite the calorie difference.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have eaten tuna my entire life. I love it, not matter what my eating plan is, at any given time.

It is easy to prepare, high in protein and I like it.