Canned Tuna, diet food or enjoyable?

Options

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I've eaten tuna regularly since I was a kid; it's cheap. I've recently replaced it in my regular dinner with sardines and canned chicken because I prefer their flavors. Seriously, sardines in water is sooo good.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    It's a regular staple, but I do eat it more often when cutting. I eat it differently, too.

In maintenance I make tuna salad sandwiches with mayo, apples and sweet pickles.

While cutting, I have it in a bowl with some type of sweet/sour/spicy pickle or pepper. I might broil a little cheese on top.

I'll also buy the green or red curry packages with albacore - tasty enough for maintenance, low enough cals to be a good lunch while cutting.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have never been a big tuna eater. I eat it just occasionally. I like some of the new tuna pouches with different flavors.
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I like it and eat it 2x a week or more.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I like it, and eat it regularly.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I like tuna from Italy in olive oil. Mmmm. But only once a week or so. I don't eat 'diet' food. I just eat food. Preferably that I like.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My favorite ways to use canned tuna are in 'fagioli con tonno' (beans & tuna salad) or as a 'tonnato' (Italian tuna sauce) -- both cold so more summer dishes. I use frozen tuna (thawed) to make patties or, when I'm feeling decadent, poached in olive oil and garlic -- which doesn't soak up the olive oil but simply keeps it moist. Here's a link to my recipe for tuna burgers shared elsewhere: http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/fish/ahi-tuna-burgers.html You can also do it with albacore and it's a great use for frozen tuna -- which really doesn't work very well served rare. When I make a batch of tuna or salmon patties, I cook them all at once, wrap them in meal-sized portions, and freeze. Then I can heat them back up without worrying about having re-frozen raw fish.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I ate homemade tuna salad and crackers for lunch today. It was only 400 calories, and it was delicious. I love tuna.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    I frequently eat a pouch of the low sodium chunk light tuna in water. I didn't used to like tuna all that much but it's really grown on me and all I really do is mix it with a packet of mustard.

But now that I like tuna, I'm semi worried about the whole mercury poisoning thing. :p
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Whatever you like. I didn't eat it much while losing, I don't eat it now, but it's mostly because I just don't really like it. I used to like the kind you found in France (in tomato sauce) but I haven't found it here sadly, or I would definitely eat that.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Love me some canned tuna! Water packed only, though. I accidentally bought oil packed once. Blergh!
  • zagbee
    zagbee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I eat it often when I am trying to lose and not so much otherwise. I do like it with tabasco sauce and I love how easy and nutritious it is, but I don't think I would choose to eat it just because.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm bulking and I eat canned tuna. I like it. And I prefer lighter lunches.

There are other brands besides bumblebee and stuff that taste better. I will get down with some cheap bumblebee too though.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I think it's a mistake to differentiate between "dieting" and normal eating. When I started over three years ago, I made sure to make a food plan that I could live with forever. I eat tuna. . . tuna salad and tuna casserole. But I also eat quite a few other things too. If you like it, incorporate it into your food plan.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I frequently eat a pouch of the low sodium chunk light tuna in water. I didn't used to like tuna all that much but it's really grown on me and all I really do is mix it with a packet of mustard.

But now that I like tuna, I'm semi worried about the whole mercury poisoning thing. :p
    Regular tuna (the "chunk light" kind) has a lot less mercury than the albacore stuff. The regular tuna is made from younger fishies, so they didn't have the long lives to absorb all that mercury. You can eat several cans a week and be safe. :)

It tastes better than albacore, too, IMO. :)
  • gigieatss
    gigieatss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna is my life! I love all the varieties packed in olive oil. You've got to find the good stuff, or mix the stuff packed in water with olive oil or olive oil based dressings! Or even with some avocado! Mmmmm!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »

Regular tuna (the "chunk light" kind) has a lot less mercury than the albacore stuff. The regular tuna is made from younger fishies, so they didn't have the long lives to absorb all that mercury. You can eat several cans a week and be safe. :)

It tastes better than albacore, too, IMO. :)

Phew! Thanks for the reassurance.

And the chunk light does taste better! I used to be all about albacore but then I saw the light (so to speak). :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Texture and taste reminds me of dried cardboard. I have a can at home, I'm sure I'll maybe think about eating it at some point. It's selling point was the low calories, so diet food
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,036 Member
    Options
    I like canned tuna and eat some once or twice a week, especially in summer ( salad weather)

I did this when losing and maintaining.