Canned Tuna, diet food or enjoyable?

Options

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I can't stomach the "chunk light" variety but solid white albacore is wonderful. I make tuna salad and enjoy it in sandwiches and tossed salads.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    I can't stomach the "chunk light" variety but solid white albacore is wonderful. I make tuna salad and enjoy it in sandwiches and tossed salads.

That might be my problem. Updating grocery list...
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Usually at least once a week. Some times with some hot sauce blended in with onions.

s5c44j5bskvb.jpg
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    I like tuna from Italy in olive oil. Mmmm. But only once a week or so. I don't eat 'diet' food. I just eat food. Preferably that I like.

Same, fish is really easy on the GI Tract at least for me vs. say eggs, red-meat, etc. Eaten year round until I get completely bored.
    Chunk light > white solid in terms of cost & mercury content. White solid is more palatable though
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My very favourite way to serve tuna is this hummus salad.
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463845702616/

Looks healthy I'mgoing to try that

• juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Love it!
    I really like it with a bit of vinegar or lemon juice and salt and pepper, then scooping it on to those special k cracker chips.
    Or tuna melts, made with light mayo, part skim mozzarella and put on top of PC mini naan rounds.
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I frequently eat a pouch of the low sodium chunk light tuna in water. I didn't used to like tuna all that much but it's really grown on me and all I really do is mix it with a packet of mustard.

But now that I like tuna, I'm semi worried about the whole mercury poisoning thing. :p

I really like tuna myself (white albacore). Lately I've added salmon for variety. As far as mercury worries go, the fda raised warnings for pregnant women and women who are going to get pregnant over the next several months. Of course the internets freaked out and applied these warnings to everybody! Here is the link to the exact thing the fda said. I like it because about a third of the way down it lists exact mercury info for all types of fish that we eat. http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/Metals/ucm393070.htm
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I eat it cause its easy to keep in the cupboard for months and its an extremely quick meal! I like it best with a little Italian or Greek salad dressing and diced raw tomatoes.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I love tuna salad with blue cheese dressing... I'm salivating thinking about it.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    PhilP0wer wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    I frequently eat a pouch of the low sodium chunk light tuna in water. I didn't used to like tuna all that much but it's really grown on me and all I really do is mix it with a packet of mustard.

But now that I like tuna, I'm semi worried about the whole mercury poisoning thing. :p

I really like tuna myself (white albacore). Lately I've added salmon for variety. As far as mercury worries go, the fda raised warnings for pregnant women and women who are going to get pregnant over the next several months. Of course the internets freaked out and applied these warnings to everybody! Here is the link to the exact thing the fda said. I like it because about a third of the way down it lists exact mercury info for all types of fish that we eat. http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/Metals/ucm393070.htm

Nice! It lists the omega 3s too which I never pay attention to but know are good for you.
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed canned tuna since before I started watching my weight.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

That might be my problem. Updating grocery list...

Had solid white albacore for dinner last night. Especially mixed with mayo and avocado, it certainly didn't have the cardboard tuna feel I'm used to. Will have to throw it in lunch rotation for a few days, see how it goes!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    ....and the heart burn. Will have to try a different brand :(
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    if "diet" food sucks- you're doing it wrong.

It doesn't have to be gross- I eat extremely well when I'm cutting or bulking.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I love tuna
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    brb2008 wrote: »
    I eat it cause its easy to keep in the cupboard for months and its an extremely quick meal! I like it best with a little Italian or Greek salad dressing and diced raw tomatoes.

I keep the unopened cans of tuna in the fridge so it's nice and cold when I make it. My husband after 30 years of marriage still finds it unnatural to store them there!

• LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Last year, I ate a lot of tuna while dieting. Low calorie and not bad. But now I don't like tuna lol.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I refuse to eat the stuff no matter where I am in my weight loss, maintenence, etc. Tuna is evil in all forms.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I love doing stuff with tuna when I dont feel like cooking a protein. So quick and easy
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I like it, but canned with oil, not water. I don't have it all that often but keep a few cans on hand - it's good mixed up with celery, sweet peppers, onion and lemon juice - I don't like it on its own and I've never been a fan of mayonnaise.