Go-To Vegetables?

Options
What are some good go-to veggie options?
Things that are easy/quick to fix up or throw in a meal?
Since I'm the only one in the house that eats veggies, I tend to just keep a few basics on hand...things that will last forever.
Carrots, cabbage, broccoli, frozen peas, frozen edamame...and there is usually a shredded head of lettuce for salads.
Potatoes, of course, but I dont think they count as a healthy vegetable right? lol

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I keep a large salad mix ( so I can add to a meal lightly steamed) as a change up. Mushrooms onions garlic bell peppers cucumbers okra sweet potato olives green onion celery parsnip jicama zucchini
  • MichaelRobinson1994
    Options
    You've got a decent range of veg there that you can work with!
    Potato is perfectly healthy, and they have a decent fibre content if you don't peel the skins off, i'd try sweet potato too.

You can buy bags of frozen mixed veg from supermarkets that you pop in the microwave for 2 mins and they taste great and go great with a meal if you need a quick fix!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You've got a great set of sturdy vegetables there. How about onion, turnip, sweet potato, and acorn squash?
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    In the summer I always have a lot of zucchini on hand (along with what you've got listed above.) In the fall/winter I have frozen veggie blends, squash and sweet potatoes, cabbage, broccoli etc
  • FredKing1
    FredKing1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've become a huge fan of those very convenient steamer veggies - Birds Eye and Green Giant brands are in my store. A little much for one, but it'll keep or it won't hurt to eat the whole thing. Raw - broccoli and cauliflower. Great on lettuce salad, tasty steamed.
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Zucchini and bell peppers are must haves for me; love mushrooms so I pick them up quite a bit. Spanish onions, butternut and spaghetti squash are pretty regular in my kitchen too, as well as salad/snacking veggies like baby spinach, cucumber, tomato (I don't care where the seeds are, its a veg in my world! Lol), carrots and lettuce.
    I keep frozen California mix veggies on hand, but I'm not much for frozen or canned unless it's for something like soup.
  • healthy_hermione
    healthy_hermione Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I also recommend buying bags of frozen vegetables. Easy and convenient.

Potatoes are also indeed healthy. A baked potato with the skin on has tons of potassium
  • BettyBoles
    BettyBoles Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love steamed vegetables, steamed and baked potatoes are delicious also healthy and have essential nutrients..
    Carrots, broccoli and cauliflower is great for salad.
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My staples are bell peppers, carrots, potatoes, and broccoli. You will always find those in my fridge. Also, I keep mixed frozen veggies with Italian seasoning (Green Giant) and frozen "spaghetti vegetables" which are just carrot, celery, onion, and possibly bell peppers all chopped up small. You can throw them in anything - taco meat, pastas, rice dishes, quinoa dishes.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    brussel sprouts - one of my favorites, and they last a good while if you get them fresh...green beans too, nice crunchy snack or easy to toss into a pan and sauté...
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i usually have snow peas too
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Always: onions, red/orange/yellow bell peppers, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, spaghetti squash, mushrooms and fresh garlic
    Often: spinach, alfalfa sprouts, yellow squash, butternut squash, and okra
    Canned: pumpkin, diced tomatoes, marinated artichokes, and heart of palm

These are our go-to veggies for hubby's breakfast and I generally tolerate these well. We stick with the lower carb veggies as a personal preference.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Lots of roasted vegetables: asparagus, brussels, squash etc.
    Lots of stir fried vegetables: cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, kale etc.
    Lots of raw vegetables: lettuce, kale, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, spinach
    Cans always on hand: baby peas, lima beans...
    Frozen always on hand: kale, broccoli, peas, red and green peppers...

Most recently I made a HUGE "hash" of stir fried kale, black soybeans and sweet potatoes, with some chipotle tabasco.
    From that we've made:
    breakfast with scrambled eggs
    Burritos with some added turkey sausage
    Tacos with some cilantro and cheddar cheese
    and there's still more
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Watercress, spinach and rocket (argula) bags - I eat most stews / casseroles over a bed of this

Butternut squash, carrots, mushrooms, frozen spinach, red pepper, tomatoes, cucumber, onions (red and brown), aubergine (eggplant), courgette (zuccini), tins chopped tomatoes, bags frozen grilled vegetables, peas, green beans, mixed veg.

I make big casseroles and stews
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Frozen vegetables are great because you can just take out what you need.

I usually have fresh spinach, onion, potatoes, carrots, celery, frozen spinach, frozen green beans, frozen peas, frozen stir fry vegetable mix, canned tomato. Sometimes I have parsnip, sweet potato, zucchini, cabbage, frozen broccoli, fresh tomato, peppers or corn.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Our staples are frozen broccoli florets, french cut green beans, baby portobello mushrooms, spring salad mix, baby carrots, and baby gold potatoes.

For the broccoli and green beans, we throw them in a hot pan with a tiny bit of oil and then toss with about a tablespoon of something we buy at Costco called Mr. Yoshida sauce (it's kind of like a teriyaki sauce) and add toasted sesame seeds.

For the salad mix, we buy a super large bag, wash everything, and portion is out into tupperware for easy, quick salads (baby carrots go in the salad with radish and/or cherry tomato if we have it and usually a balsamic vinaigrette).

We just sautee the mushrooms in a bit of oil and eat them as a side or add them to other dishes.

For the baby potatoes, we usually cook them all off on a sheet pan in the oven with sea salt, cool them down and put in the fridge, and when we want them we cut them in half and sear in a fry pan with a tiny bit of butter or oil to get them nice and brown.
  • IriaSparcast
    IriaSparcast Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We always keep bags of the pictsweet frozen baby brussel sprouts on hand. I roast them with chopped carrots after tossing them lightly with olive oil and a little bit of brown sugar, then lots of cracked black pepper. All three of our extended families request that as "my" dish to bring to family gatherings.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Since it's winter I roast almost everything. Carrots, parsnips, brussel sprouts, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Yummy, satisfying, and filling!
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Our staples are frozen broccoli florets, french cut green beans, baby portobello mushrooms, spring salad mix, baby carrots, and baby gold potatoes.

For the broccoli and green beans, we throw them in a hot pan with a tiny bit of oil and then toss with about a tablespoon of something we buy at Costco called Mr. Yoshida sauce (it's kind of like a teriyaki sauce) and add toasted sesame seeds.

For the salad mix, we buy a super large bag, wash everything, and portion is out into tupperware for easy, quick salads (baby carrots go in the salad with radish and/or cherry tomato if we have it and usually a balsamic vinaigrette).

We just sautee the mushrooms in a bit of oil and eat them as a side or add them to other dishes.

For the baby potatoes, we usually cook them all off on a sheet pan in the oven with sea salt, cool them down and put in the fridge, and when we want them we cut them in half and sear in a fry pan with a tiny bit of butter or oil to get them nice and brown.

Love the baby potatoes ideas. Totally trying that!
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    Always: onions, red/orange/yellow bell peppers, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, spaghetti squash, mushrooms and fresh garlic
    Often: spinach, alfalfa sprouts, yellow squash, butternut squash, and okra
    Canned: pumpkin, diced tomatoes, marinated artichokes, and heart of palm

These are our go-to veggies for hubby's breakfast and I generally tolerate these well. We stick with the lower carb veggies as a personal preference.

I want to live in the veggie section of your fridge!