What's your Christmas menu?

Options

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    we go ALL OUT!, We cook everything and we eat everything. and we drink everything, but first, we must ALL do intense cardio and burn 1000 calories when we wake up,, after that is done. well, party on!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    we go ALL OUT!, We cook everything and we eat everything. and we drink everything, but first, we must ALL do intense cardio and burn 1000 calories when we wake up,, after that is done. well, party on!

Wish I could but the gym is closed and I have to help the kids with presents in the morning anyway...
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    prime rib roast, roasted potatoes, roasted asparagus...lots of wine and probably a few scotches.

Ditto! Although I'll probably do scalloped potatoes and replace the wine with local craft beer and homemade light Margaritas.

I need to find a recipe for those!
  • jpaulsims
    jpaulsims Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Prime rib, roasted maple sweet potatoes, fettuccine alfredo, roasted balsamic brussels sprouts with bacon and pumpkin soup. Dessert is New York cheesecake and caramel apple pie.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Wish I could but the gym is closed and I have to help the kids with presents in the morning anyway...
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    prime rib roast, roasted potatoes, roasted asparagus...lots of wine and probably a few scotches.

Ditto! Although I'll probably do scalloped potatoes and replace the wine with local craft beer and homemade light Margaritas.

I need to find a recipe for those!

Not quite as authentic as I'd like, but I just do silver tequila, Crystal Light lemonade, fresh lime juice and a shake or two of salt. I LOVE the real sweet and sour mix but too many calories and too much sugar. I have yet to find a sugar-free one that is comparable. If you do, please let me know! (sometimes if I want them sweeter I'll add a bit of lime Mio)
  • Francl27
    Options
    Oh I meant the scallop potatoes! I don't drink. I'm sure my husband will get some wine or something though...
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Monkey Bread for breakfast at SMIL's house. Dunno about dinner yet.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve: pork posole (homemade) w/sour cream garnish, Texas flour tortillas (homemade) w/salted butter

Christmas Day morning: cheddar lit'l smokies pig in blankets, eggs, pomegranate

Christmas Day afternoon: cheese, pistachios, probably more lit'l smokies sans blanket, maybe a Saco fudgy cocoa brownie

Christmas Day supper: HoneyBaked spiral ham dinner (w/green bean casserole, sweet potato fluff stuff), fruitcake (homemade) w/whipped cream (homemade)

NYE: same as Christmas Eve

No boozy beverages this year since I don't feel like making eggnog.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I'm amazed at people who make a nice breakfast for Christmas... We definitely don't have time here with the kids! We usually just end up having eggs or something... (except the year we had people staying here and we made eggnog pancakes).
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    We have a family of 4, 4 overnight guests, and 5 guests for the day. LORD HELP ME.

Xmas eve dinner is always potato soup, salads, and appetizers (I make bruschetta, and buy a few frozen ones, plus cheese and crackers).

Xmas morning is always cinnamon rolls, fruit salad, and baked eggs. As long as I stop at 1 cinnamon roll, its all good.

Xmas dinner is hard. We are vegetarians, most guests prefer meat. I think I will buy a spiral cut ham (anyone know what a good sale price is on that?) we will also have:
    -Desert of some kind, probably bread pudding, recipe calls for something insane like 12 egg yolks, which I save from DH's morning egg whites ;)
    -Potato or sweet potato side dish
    -Another vegetable side dish
    -Baked mac and cheese maybe, for the kids
    -Salad

So I will probably do some kind of potato gratin dish that I can make ahead and just bake. I have no idea what the other vegetable side will be- open to suggestions. Nothing labor intensive.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    If you want a "nice" Christmas breakfast, I highly recommend a make ahead option. We used to do an egg casserole the day before and pull apart monkey bread that could be heated up on Christmas morning. That way all you have to do is throw it in the oven.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Prime rib, brussels or maybe green beans, potatoes, some sort of dessert that is not yet decided.

My dad usually makes Christmas breakfast -- pancakes and bacon, typically, sometimes waffles.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Prime rib, baked potato, baked beets, spinach salad, broccoli. Yum!
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Traditional British here,

Breakfast - Bucks fizz, croissants, maybe scrambled egg

Lunch
    Smoked salmon with brown bread and butter

Roast turkey, with sage and onion sausagemeat stuffing
    Roast potatoes
    Braised red cabbage
    Brussels sprouts
    Peas
    Carrots
    Cauliflower cheese
    Maybe mashed swede
    Pigs in blankets
    Bread sauce
    Giblet gravy
    Cranberry sauce

Christmas pudding
    Brandy butter
    Clotted cream
    Dessert wine

Maybe Port and Stilton, cheese and biscuits later on.

Tea, if we can fit it in will be ham rolls, Christmas cake, stollen, mince pies. More cheese.

I'm sure there will be a tub of Quality Street/Roses/Celebrations on hand throughout the day, too!
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    angerelle wrote: »

Lunch

Roast potatoes
    Braised red cabbage
    Brussels sprouts
    Peas
    Carrots
    Cauliflower cheese
    Maybe mashed swede
    Pigs in blankets
    Bread sauce
    Giblet gravy
    Cranberry sauce

Christmas pudding
    Brandy butter
    Clotted cream
    Dessert wine

Tea, if we can fit it in will be ham rolls, Christmas cake, stollen, mince pies. More cheese.

I'm sure there will be a tub of Quality Street/Roses/Celebrations on hand throughout the day, too!

Forgot the parsnips!
  • Francl27
    Options
    angerelle wrote: »

Lunch

Roast potatoes
    Braised red cabbage
    Brussels sprouts
    Peas
    Carrots
    Cauliflower cheese
    Maybe mashed swede
    Pigs in blankets
    Bread sauce
    Giblet gravy
    Cranberry sauce

Christmas pudding
    Brandy butter
    Clotted cream
    Dessert wine

Mmmm. I used to have Quality Street when I was growing up. Ate all the caramels in one day...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Smoked ham (I'm brining and smoking my own ham for the first time this year!)
    Roast Turkey
    Prawns with cocktail sauce
    Random salads (probably a potato salad, a couscous salad, a green salad)
    Stuffing, turkey gravy and cranberry sauce
    Fresh bread rolls

Assorted sweets (florentine slice, after dinner mints, eckels cakes, mince pies etc)
  • ekruska802
    ekruska802 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Homemade ramen! I've wanted to make it since the first time I had real ramen. Found a recipe; it takes forever. Then, someone gave me beautiful soup bowls as a gift! Now I have to try my hand at it. We'll be home all day so we might as well.

Trying to decide what to make for breakfast. Someone mentioned cinnamon rolls. That sounds great!
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    We do Christmas Eve. This year's menu includes:
    A vegan soup
    Sliced roast turkey roll on ciabatta rolls with choice of cheese
    Shrimp tray
    Crackers with pepperoni dip
    Vegan eggnog
    Mulled wine
    Cheesecake and brownie bites for dessert.
  • bacs
    bacs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Tamales for Christmas Eve. Roast Beef and a Ham for Christmas Day. Haven't figured out the side dishes yet.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Tamales and probably cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning.