What's your Christmas menu?

Replies

• ekruska802
    ekruska802 Posts: 79 Member
    bacs wrote: »
    Tamales for Christmas Eve. Roast Beef and a Ham for Christmas Day. Haven't figured out the side dishes yet.

I haven't had tamales in ages. That sounds so good!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    We're dining out, but here is what I have planned from the menu.

Christmas Eve brunch:
    Monkey bread
    Eggnog pancakes
    Goat cheese egg white omelette
    Bacon

Christmas Eve Reveillon dinner:
    Country ham and Carolina gold rice perlau
    Some fancy yummy home-made bread w/ butter and fig preserves
    Beets
    Butter lettuce salad
    Stuffed trout and crawfish boudin entree
    Rum and nutmeg bread pudding

Christmas Day dinner:
    A four course meal at a South American restaurant. (Too lazy to list it all)

Can't wait!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Christmas eve will be stuffed shells, salad, and garlic bread.

Christmas morning probably something light - cereal or toast.

Christmas dinner is a repeat of thanksgiving dinner:
    - brie en croute with crackers
    - bacon wrapped smokies
    - veg tray with ranch
    - Turkey, homemade gravy
    - stuffing
    - mashed potatoes
    - sweet potato casserole
    - green bean casserole
    - cranberry sauce
    - corn
    - rolls, butter
    - pumpkin pie
    - Christmas cookies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    No clue. I'm going to a broadway show christmas night. Will probably go out to dinner before hand and eat whatever I want.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,832 Member
    Turkey
    And a whole heap of veggies of different types.

My sister-in-law and partner will be doing the turkey. My husband and I will be bringing the veg.

Plus ... Christmas pudding, fruit cake, pavlova, chocolate cake, cherry crumble, chocolates, halva, banana bread, shortbread, mince tarts, and whatever else happens to catch my eye or that I feel like making. :grin: I'm taking a diet break for 2 weeks over Christmas and eating it ALL!
  • scorpcookie
    scorpcookie Posts: 113 Member
    edited December 2015
    It's probably going to be the same old boring Christmas turkey, potatoes, tourtiere and salad. I keep trying to talk people into spicing things up with a pot luck Christmas, but no one seems keen on it. Although I think I will make some deviled eggs and bring them along.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    As long as I get pavlova I don't care about the rest.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    What a fun thread! I'm enjoying reading all the different menu options!

For Christmas Eve, we always did something my kids wanted like spaghetti, lasagne or pizza. No kiddies this year so not sure what we'll do. Maybe just get take out Vietnamese Bun or Pho.

Christmas Day, we'll have a smallish group of our kids, parents and one toddler. My plan so far:

Appetizers -
    hummus and veggies, cheese and sausage plate, chips and guacamole, olives, whatever else I think of

Dinner -
    Rib Roast
    Romanoff potatoes
    Brussel sprout salad with pomegranates
    Mixed fruit salad
    Dessert -
    Whatever my mother brings
    Chocolate cake and ice cream

Christmas is my oldest son's birthday, so we always have birthday cake with ice cream and candles!
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited December 2015
    Traditional english here too.
    Xmas eve: steak sandwiches and champagne ( new tradition)

Xmas day
    Breakfast - Bucks fizz, croissant. Bacon sandwich for the hubby.

Lunch
    No starters but if we do its liver pate and toast points.

Roast beef
    Yorkshire pudding
    Roast potatoes
    Brussels sprouts
    Peas
    Carrots
    Courgette dish and leek dish that my mum loved
    Roast parsnips
    Gravy
    Good red wine

Christmas pudding
    Brandy sauce
    Champagne

After eight mint chocs and coffee

Maybe Port and Stilton, cheese and biscuits later on.

Tea, if we can fit it in will be a buffet of ham rolls, baked gammon, Christmas cake, mince pies. More cheese. Pickled gerkhins Cauliflower and onions. The best bit is the home made trifle!

Tub of Quality Street/Roses/Celebrations on hand throughout the day, too!

• samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    edited December 2015
    Snowballs for breakfast (advocaat, lime juice and lemonade), maybe smoked salmon scrambled eggs.

Lunch will be a five bird roast, yorkshires, roast potatoes, brussel sprouts in a creamy sauce with pancetta and bread crumbs, pigs in blankets, stuffing balls and plenty of gravy. Probably sparkling wine for me, Coke for him.

More Snowballs, maybe some doughnuts or cookies, maybe some cheese.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    I just can't imagine all that food!! I keep it simple here...a meat, a veg, a potato or squash, a bread for the few that eat it, and a desert. It's usually Christmas cookies at this point, but could change in the future. We may have a tray of cheese and meats, or shrimp cocktail for appetizers. I cook by feel and taste and I never bake, so I make the hubby do that because he can follow an exact recipe but cannot cook! lol
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    We almost never have just one vegetable with our main meal - one good thing about Christmas dinner is that we get at least 6 servings of fruit and veg in one meal! We don't have Thanksgiving in the UK, so Christmas dinner is the biggest meal of the year and even so, it's just an extra special roast dinner!
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    I'm hosting Christmas dinner but since I have to work all week, I need to keep it simple:

Baked chicken
    Sweet potato casserole
    Potato salad
    Broccoli
    Yellow rice
    Dinner rolls
    Raspberry cheesecake
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm amazed at people who make a nice breakfast for Christmas... We definitely don't have time here with the kids! We usually just end up having eggs or something... (except the year we had people staying here and we made eggnog pancakes).

For breakfast, I usually do something I can prep the night before and just throw in the oven like overnight French toast or a casserole with eggs/sausage/hash browns, etc.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I'm amazed at people who make a nice breakfast for Christmas... We definitely don't have time here with the kids! We usually just end up having eggs or something... (except the year we had people staying here and we made eggnog pancakes).

For breakfast, I usually do something I can prep the night before and just throw in the oven like overnight French toast or a casserole with eggs/sausage/hash browns, etc.

Sounds good, but my kids wouldn't eat it, lol. So I'm not even going to sweat it...
  • TxLisa251
    TxLisa251 Posts: 152 Member
    We're having lasagna, salad, french bread garlic toast, and red wine for the grown ups / "kid wine" (Welch's sparkling grape juice) for the kiddo.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member

Yup, I make cinnamon rolls the night before once the kids are in bed, and the rise in the fridge overnight. Fruit salad is cut up in the morning, baked eggs are just precooked bacon and eggs dumped in muffin tins and baked.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    It's really interesting to see the different things people eat for Christmas, I didn't realise Americans didn't all have turkey for Christmas dinner like we do in the UK!
    I'll be having croissants for breakfast, Turkey with potatoes roast in goose fat, brussel sprouts and some other veg for lunch.
    Then probably smoked Salmon sandwiches in the evening...plus lots of chocolate.

What's monkey bread? I've seen a few people mention it and I've seen pictures but can't work out what it is ;)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member

What's monkey bread? I've seen a few people mention it and I've seen pictures but can't work out what it is ;)

Monkey bread is a sticky gooey pull-apart sweet dough usually baked in a tube or bundt cake pan. Lots of different recipes out there online. If you get it from the market it's usually called cinnamon pull-apart bread or something like that.

My simple recipe (made for years for Christmas morning because you can prep it the night before).

Rhodes bread dough rolls (frozen)
    Butterscotch pudding mix (NOT instant)
    Butter, lots of butter

Grease the tube pan. Put in about 9-10 frozen rolls. Dump dry pudding mix all over the frozen rolls. Dot with lots of butter. Cover with a tea towel and let rise on kitchen counter overnight. Pop in the oven in the morning and bake about 20 minutes at 350. It will look like you don't have enough of the rolls in the pan, but once they rise it will fill up. Crazy simple, not low-calorie, but fun and yummy. Super kid friendly, as well!
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    edited December 2015
    I cook on Christmas Eve for my in-laws (5 of us total). This year I'm doing boeuf bourguignon with mushrooms and pearl onions over egg noodles, green beans with shallots, crescent rolls and of course lots of Christmas cookies for dessert.