What book are you reading?

Options

Replies

• brandi2258
    brandi2258 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just finished Water for Elephants, and I'm now reading The Fellowship of the Ring.. I bought a bookmark called "50 books to read before you die" and I'm starting on that! Has everything from Lord of the Rings, The Bible, Harry Potter and Jane Eyre to Diary of Anne Frank and To Kill A Mockingbird! I'm very excited to get through these Lord of the Rings books though, they are tough for me to get into!!
  • ATXJudie
    ATXJudie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am finishing the third book in The Hunger Games trilogy -- The Mockingjay.

This is an older trilogy (1999 I think). But I had never read it. Extremely good. I can't put it down!
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm reading a Game of Thrones as well. Also in the midst of Tolkein's Two Towers, and Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn. I'm another big fantasy fan.
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    Depends on what you like :-)

If you like historical-based books, I'd recommend 'Innocent Traitor' by Alison Weir - the story of the 9 day Queen, Lady Jane Grey.

If you like sci-fi, anything by Iain M Banks is always good. Sometimes difficult to get into but even more tricky to put back down!

Pure fantasy, I'd go with Diane Wynne Jones - she wrote both children's & adults fantasy. Very good author, sadly died earlier this year.

For a historical detective one, there's 'Suspicions of mr Whicher: or the murder at Road Hill House' by Kate Summerscale. Interesting account of a Victorian murder-mystery & the early detectives.

I read more or less anything... :-)
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Nice! I love finding some new ideas out there.

Any Ken Bruen fans out there? I fell in love with him at "Once Were Cops". Outstanding stuff.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I love to read and some of my favorite authors have new books out so I guess the question for me is what I am planning to read. Alexander McCall Smith's 1st Detective Agency series has a new book out. Maeve Binchy has a new book out and even Jean Auel. I think I would first like to read A Lesson in Secrets which is the latest in Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs series.
  • Carol_s
    Carol_s Posts: 73
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'll have a look at these on the internet.

I like very different books from the Millennium Trilogy to books by Cecelia Ahern.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm reading the latest in the Sookie Stackhouse series. I'm torn between not being able to put it down and trying to make it last because another one probably won't be available for another year.
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am finishing the third book in The Hunger Games trilogy -- The Mockingjay.

This is an older trilogy (1999 I think). But I had never read it. Extremely good. I can't put it down!

I can't wait for the movie!!! I have read this series a couple of times now :happy:
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you like :-)

For a historical detective one, there's 'Suspicions of mr Whicher: or the murder at Road Hill House' by Kate Summerscale. Interesting account of a Victorian murder-mystery & the early detectives.

I read more or less anything... :-)
    I am going to have to check out the hystorical detective books you mentioned.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I love this series. :) Unfortunately though, I had a friend wreck it for me by blurting out happenings I hadn't read about yet. Still pissed about that.
    I was thinking of reading them again before the series comes back to HBO. Which is very soon. lol
  • jpierce8806
    Options
    I really enjoyed the Crank series by Ellen Hopkins...I read each book in one day...lol it goes Crank, Glass, Fallout
  • ladybugz_247
    ladybugz_247 Posts: 120
    Options
    Im reading "Not my daughter" by Barbara Delinsky

Summary

When Susan Tate's 17-year-old daughter, Lily, announces she is pregnant, Susan is stunned. A single mother, she has struggled to do everything right. She sees the pregnancy as an unimaginable tragedy both for Lily and herself.

Then comes word of two more pregnancies among high school seniors who happen to be Lily's best friends - and the town turns to talk of a pact. But criticism of the girls quickly becomes criticism of their mothers, especially of Susan, who holds a visible position in town. As principal of the high school, she is considered a role model of hard work and core values. Now her detractors accuse her of being a lax mother, perhaps not worthy of the job of shepherding impressionable students. Susan is still struggling with the personal implications of her daughter's pregnancy, when she hears calls for her resignation.

But what of her close friendship with the two other moms? Are they any less at fault than she is? The friendships suffer - but shouldn't loyalty trump community pressure? And what of a fourth friend, who has power enough to minimize the fallout but whose own daughter has a murky tie to the pact?

Set in a small Maine town that cherishes responsibility, Not My Daughter raises many issues, not the least of which is the age-old question: What does it take to be a good mother?

**** I love drama*** :happy:
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Ellen Hopkins: Fallout.

I would recommend ANY of her books.
    They're amazing. <3

I have thought about reading her books. Should I start with Crank and Glass before reading Fallout?
  • Liz915
    Liz915 Posts: 123
    Options
    Right now I am reading Wicked by Gregory Maguire. Love it! (& I get to see the musical in September!!)
  • Carol_s
    Options
    Has anyone read any good mystery type books recently? I enjoyed the Dan Brown books.
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Michael Conolly - The Harry Bosch and Lincoln Lawyer series are super great.

Also, David Baldacci Oliver Stone books ... Oliver Stone books are similar but more easily digested than Dan Brown
  • Carol_s
    Options
    Thanks, I'll have a look at the Oliver Stone books. :smile:

I've read some Michael Connelly ones, and enjoyed them.
  • flgirlsteph
    flgirlsteph Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    A sappy Romance Novel since my love life sucks :P
  • oldscratch
    oldscratch Posts: 146
    Options
    on the shoulders of giants- stephen hawking awesome
    still life with woodpecker- tom robbins real cool
    them- jon ronson