Squat Every Day

Options
giantrobot_powerlifting
giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
edited December 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I am about to jet for the night, but wanted to read some responses and feedback on this program when I have some time before bed tonight.

After my next meet, I feel like running this program as kind of "training break" from my regularly scheduled training (currently 5/3/1 with BBB/12 week challenge) and this program intrigues me.

Have you run this program? What did you think? Did you make all thirty-days? What adjustments did you have to make to the program? Did you finish? Has there been any carryover since you completed the program? Is it worth my time? Would a powerlifter see any benefit from it? Did you hate it? Love it? Do you like ice cream?

What else can you tell me?

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I like ice cream. I'll be having Talenti Caramel Apple Pie with homemade whipped cream tonight.

That's all I can contribute to this post.
  • FireYankee
    FireYankee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am about to jet for the night, but wanted to read some responses and feedback on this program when I have some time before bed tonight.

After my next meet, I feel like running this program as kind of "training break" from my regularly scheduled training (currently 5/3/1 with BBB/12 week challenge) and this program intrigues me.

Have you run this program? What did you think? Did you make all thirty-days? What adjustments did you have to make to the program? Did you finish? Has there been any carryover since you completed the program? Is it worth my time? Would a powerlifter see any benefit from it? Did you hate it? Love it? Do you like ice cream?

Are you a power lifter or bodybuilder/weightlifter? If you are the latter, then the 30 day program is AMAZING! I was a typical "leg day weekly" type lifter and I was very scared going in honestly. But I told myself that it was only 30 days and push through. I loved it and I am still squatting daily nearly 3 months later. I just carried over various squats to my training for my upcoming competition.

If you are a power lifter, I would look into Cory's Phase 2, it seems to be more developed for a power lifter which is why I didn't move onto it. Below is the link for the YouTube video with him breaking "Phase 2" down. I believes he recommends completing the 30 day one first but if you're already power lifting, I am sure you would have no real reason to unless you just wanted to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVdJG8rrf_I
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I need to read the book. I'm doing something similar for my benching right now and am liking it so far. If it keeps going good I'm considering doing it for my squats too.

So basically, I have nothing useful to contribute on the topic, but I'm interested as well so here I am.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    What's your goal?

Most of the people I know that compete in powerlifting run Smolov or something similar. While not squatting every day it does have you squatting 4 times a week and it gets brutal toward the end. It's a peaking program that you use to coincide with a meet.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @nakedraygun

Matt, things I would be worried about:

1) "where to go from here". Once you've built to that kind of frequency and your squat volume goes up accordingly, what do you do when you've finished? Reduce your frequency/vol back down? What will happen to your squat once you do?

2) What happens to your other lifts whilst you do it? You certainly won't have much room to maintain, let alone improve, other aspects of your lifting game. Are you at peace with backsliding on other lifts (if only for a while?)

3) Do you have a strategy for keeping your shoulders healthy? High frequency squatting is apparently murder on the the old shoulders. Some people seem to do fine, others seem to suffer. Perryman advocates lots of curling to keep the shoulders sweet while you do it - but is that a universal cure?

4) Can you ego-check yourself on the intensity front in order not to bury yourself. Some "A types" put the foot to the floor with stuff like this and end up nobbling themselves. Getting comfortable with a daily max and being in touch with your feelings (!) are probably essential.

Source: Have run a 3-4x/week deadlifting routine (not squatting everyday routine). But the issues/challenges aren't a million miles apart.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    @nakedraygun 1) "where to go from here". Once you've built to that kind of frequency and your squat volume goes up accordingly, what do you do when you've finished? Reduce your frequency/vol back down? What will happen to your squat once you do?
    That's a good point I hadn't considered... what after? I was thinking about returning to 5/3/1 but running SST.
    @nakedraygun 2) What happens to your other lifts whilst you do it? You certainly won't have much room to maintain, let alone improve, other aspects of your lifting game. Are you at peace with backsliding on other lifts (if only for a while?)
    I was going to continue to program them in -- but throttle down the volume (since I am running BBB now) and work on strength building.
    @nakedraygun 3) Do you have a strategy for keeping your shoulders healthy? High frequency squatting is apparently murder on the the old shoulders. Some people seem to do fine, others seem to suffer. Perryman advocates lots of curling to keep the shoulders sweet while you do it - but is that a universal cure?
    I think my shoulders will be okay, or more likely the tendentious that I currently have I will continue to manage. Actually, throttling down on some of the upper body stuff will help.
    @nakedraygun 4) Can you ego-check yourself on the intensity front in order not to bury yourself. Some "A types" put the foot to the floor with stuff like this and end up nobbling themselves. Getting comfortable with a daily max and being in touch with your feelings (!) are probably essential.
    No problem there. I've lowered weight on the main lifts a few times to correct either form problems, or because I'm Major General #teamgrayballz
    @nakedraygun Source: Have run a 3-4x/week deadlifting routine (not squatting everyday routine). But the issues/challenges aren't a million miles apart.
    I somewhat do that now, but with Rack Pulls, deficits, and some hinge work programmed in.

Options
    What's your goal?

Most of the people I know that compete in powerlifting run Smolov or something similar. While not squatting every day it does have you squatting 4 times a week and it gets brutal toward the end. It's a peaking program that you use to coincide with a meet.
    I'd run this program outside of my goals -- as mental break/for fun -- from the programming I normally engage in. Also, after my next meet (Jan '16) I won't compete again until end of April or early March. A welcome distraction really.
    Options
    mjwoodcum wrote: »

Are you a power lifter or bodybuilder/weightlifter? If you are the latter, then the 30 day program is AMAZING! I was a typical "leg day weekly" type lifter and I was very scared going in honestly. But I told myself that it was only 30 days and push through. I loved it and I am still squatting daily nearly 3 months later. I just carried over various squats to my training for my upcoming competition.

If you are a power lifter, I would look into Cory's Phase 2, it seems to be more developed for a power lifter which is why I didn't move onto it. Below is the link for the YouTube video with him breaking "Phase 2" down. I believes he recommends completing the 30 day one first but if you're already power lifting, I am sure you would have no real reason to unless you just wanted to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVdJG8rrf_I

Powerlifter.

Thanks for your comments!

I'll take a look at the video.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I haven't run it myself.

I would check out Matthew Perryman's book "Squat Everyday". I know of a handful of people (some personally) that have run it, or a Bulgarian style approach. Damien Pezzuti, Pat Mendes, and a few others come to mind for higher level athletes.

I have one guy at my gym that's on Day 96 currently and is hitting in the 400's everyday.

I know another guy at my gym that is hitting 500+ on the same type of schedule on a regular basis.

You will need to be conscious of recovery and manipulate volume and intensity, or even lifts (SS Bar, Front Squat, Low Bar, High Bar, etc).

Highest frequency I've run is 4x per week Squat & Bench, and 3x per week on Deads. I love higher frequency, but it can wreck you if you don't watch the recovery.
    Options
    I haven't run it myself.

I would check out Matthew Perryman's book "Squat Everyday". I know of a handful of people (some personally) that have run it, or a Bulgarian style approach. Damien Pezzuti, Pat Mendes, and a few others come to mind for higher level athletes.

I have one guy at my gym that's on Day 96 currently and is hitting in the 400's everyday.

I know another guy at my gym that is hitting 500+ on the same type of schedule on a regular basis.

You will need to be conscious of recovery and manipulate volume and intensity, or even lifts (SS Bar, Front Squat, Low Bar, High Bar, etc).

Highest frequency I've run is 4x per week Squat & Bench, and 3x per week on Deads. I love higher frequency, but it can wreck you if you don't watch the recovery.

Good points!

I'll check into Perrymans' book. Recovery concerns me since I am older than the internet and the PC.

I'm nowhere near a high level athlete.
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Personally, I like the keep it simple approach that is effective and efficient for long term success. Too many cases of 'fuckarounditis' these days with these weird workout programs and exercises trying to reinvent the wheel. All tho it is fun to switch it up every now and then with something new.

For awhile now, I run a 5x5 program (revolving around compound lifts mostly) I put together for me and my GF... working out three days a week, with a squat exercise in each of those days, but alternating between front and back squats. We love it. The Gf has seen some incredible strength gains as well as her posture and back problems improving immensely. The routine is sorta like the Strong Lifts routine, but more intense. Occasional de-load weeks, but lifts have perpetually always gone up.

Personally I wouldn't squat everyday... you need that recovery period if you're lifting heavy. 3-4 days is pushing it. But I suppose if you stick to light weight on those squats, you might be able to get away with it. But where's the fun in that? ;)

Definitely make sure your nutrition is dialed in. (all tho this always applies to any workout regimen)

giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Negative_X wrote: »
    Definitely make sure your nutrition is dialed in. (all tho this always applies to any workout regimen)
    Currently bulking so that won't be a problem.

EDIT: After lunch I just wiped out 3,419 calories, leaving the balance of 582. :p
  • piperdown44
    Options

EDIT: After lunch I just wiped out 3,419 calories, leaving the balance of 582. :p

Soon,...so soon, I too shall be able to say that.... mmmmm bulking...mmmmm

Options

Honestly, I could care less about a six pack of abs any longer. Gimme strength.
  • piperdown44
    Options

Ha and lol, not about the 6 pack and never have been. Just needing to whittle off some excess I don't need.

Options

Ha and lol, not about the 6 pack and never have been. Just needing to whittle off some excess I don't need.

I hear you. I'll be cutting in summer again, but not really much. I really hate giving up strength gains and the extra calories. Bulk to slight deficit to recomp is the way to go.