Hello, I'm escaping weight watchers!

Options
2»

Replies

• cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    WW works for some people. My MIL swears by it. But I checked it out and I just couldn't...understand, figure out, comprehend how ANYTHING worked. Definitely not for me lol. Anyway, welcome! Hope you like it here. I do!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    elwing wrote: »
    I've found that if I don't allow myself the little indulgences throughout the day (like a bottle of coca cola), I end up binge eating at night. The new plan made a 20oz bottle of coke go from 7points to 15, and I get a whole 30 points/day. WW has worked for me in the past, and the new plan is all about healthy and clean eating, but my mental state just isn't there for completely clean eating yet.

I agree. I see what they're doing with nudging people towards healthy choices....but I also believe that being over penalized for an indulgence leads to the "good food bad food" dichotomy which I definitely want to avoid.

This ^^^^

Food is neither 'good' nor 'bad'. It either fits your macros for today, or not.
    Punishing people for indulgences is 'bad'.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I tried WW twice (very briefly each time). Just when I got the hang of the point counting, they changed to Points Plus. Now they're changing again. I know it has a kind of "cult like" following, but I just found it to be very restrictive and their WW foods full of ingredients I don't want to put in my body. In addition, they push their products (trackers, counters, cookbooks) on you at meetings and you end up with a bunch of "stuff" you don't really need.

Now that Oprah is behind it I'm sure there will be a resurgence in interest as she publicly loses weight on their program (yet again). They try to make something complicated, that is really simple, with their bottom line to make money.

Calories in, calories out. Eat less, move more! It's beautiful in its simplicity!!
  • Galkowski1
    Galkowski1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Another WW refugee here. Was a bit nervous to leave WW ,but so far really like MFP. Deal breaker for me was the inability to exchange exercise points for food on the new WW plan. I train for half marathons and can't live on 1200 calories and also run 10 miles. New program was not for me.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    xxghost wrote: »
    Welcome! If you have any questions, please let me know!

I ditched Weight Watchers when the meeting leader belittled me in front of everyone else, to the point that I actually started crying. Yeah, not thanks!

You should let WW International know about that. Should never have happened. I used WW in the past and while there are things about the program I did not like - the leader was always kind, respectful, motivational, and inspiring...never non-supportive or ...outright mean.
  • andreahaley30
    andreahaley30 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did ww a few times several years ago and lost about 30 pounds but got tired of paying for it and sitting through repetitive meetings. I inevitably gained the weight back (and then some) because it was never mentally about a lifestyle change but rather just a period of time that I would sacrifice until I felt good about my body and then back to my old ways. I've been using mfp for a while now and have had success. Someone earlier on this string of posts mentioned how ww just substitutes junk food for different junk food. I feel like that's exactly what I did with ww - they tout it as a way to lose weight eating whatever you want, but I think they miss the point of eating real, whole, clean foods. I think it really has helped me to learn how to eat fresh foods and avoid prepackaged foods. I'm looking for more friends and support on mfp, feel free to add me!
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Lifetime WWs member here. I actually made goal once but ended up regaining and went back three times before I figured that the plan wasn't working for me any longer. That was almost 2 years ago. I found MFP by accident and it helped me to educated myself about nutrition. I've now lost 51 lbs and I'm 3 or 4 lbs away from maintenance. Best thing I ever did was ditch WWs.

I learned that there are no magic formulas to losing weight; it's all calories in/calories out. WWs never taught me that. I learned how to control my portions; I learned that there are no "free" foods or good or bad food. I learned that I can eat anything I want as long as I stay within my calorie budget. WWs never taught me any of that. I learned to love exercise -- move more, eat less is simplistic but it works. MFP was a huge Ah-ha moment for me. I'll have to keep tracking and weighing food but it's so worth it.

I guess that I was finally ready to take control of my weight and not let a "program" do it for me. Best of all, MFP is free and no one is pushing me to buy their food.

I think you'll find a great community of supportive people here -- I began building a "friends list" almost a year after I signed up. I did read everything here on the forums from the day I signed up though and many of the posts led me to investigate additional nutritional information. MFP has been my lifesaver.
  • bevkidd1
    bevkidd1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for about a week now. Signed up a couple years ago and just never did anything with it. I have had a couple health issues lately and need/want to get healthy. I have over 100 lbs to lose which is so overwhelming to me.

I am hoping to get lots of support. I am a foodie that is having the hardest time watching what I eat. I had surgery in October (not weightloss surgery) and the fatty foods really hurt me now, but I still eat them. (how crazy is that?) Any help would be greatly appreciated.