Pancake Substitution Recipes

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Top with fresh fruit or preserves. Don't know what the issue is with mixes. Use a quality mix. I like TJ's pumpkin pancakes, Kodiak Cakes, Pamela's (gluten free but I just like the taste), and P28 (a protein pancake). Don't fall for the oh no carbs thing. I eat pancakes on a regular and even went 2 straight months having a huge stack for breakfast every month. I'm still lean, light, and fit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Even if you put syrup, as long as you don't drown them, it's still going to be only 100 calories.

I almost never use syrup anymore though, only when I splurge on real pancakes... otherwise it's nut butter, fruit, ricotta and honey, or heck I use ham and cheese or smoked salmon and cream cheese on the kodiak protein pancakes...
  • mingle287
    mingle287 Posts: 44 Member
    9rx35x5ztoos.jpg
    yvluoe9gzdym.jpg
  • mingle287
    mingle287 Posts: 44 Member
    Here you go! Enjoy.
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon ground flax
    1 tablespoon chia seeds
    salt, cinnamon and sweetener to taste
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Ones I make:
    1 tsp baking soda
    20 grams of protein powder
    1/4 cup whole wheat flouer
    1 egg white
    6 ounces plain greek yogurt

For the ingredients I use (your nutritional info will vary depending on the nutrition of your ingredients):
    Roughly 3-4 pancakes, depending on how big I pour them:
    300 calories
    2 g fat
    31 g carbs
    5 g fiber
    7 g sugar
    40 g protein

I usually use a light syrup or the real maple stuff since the flavor goes a long way. Or eat them with peanut butter. Or just plain.
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I don't count flour or baking soda as fillers.

I have a pumpkin protein pancake made with oat flour, pumpkin purée, protein powder, cinnamon, egg, and stevia.

I serve it with frozen fruit and Greek yogurt.

OMG, that sounds delicious! Would you mind sharing?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463845704988/

Replace half the oat flour with wheat flour so that the pancake is strong enough to be flipped. I also add half a cup protein powder.
  • killafitnessxo
    killafitnessxo Posts: 23 Member
    Protein pancake
    1/3 cup of oats
    1/4 of eggs white
    Half a banana .
    Add in cinnamon or any toppings :)
  • Can_Do_Gal
    I also appreciate these ideas. I've never made pancakes from a mix, so it didn't occur to me to look for healthy mixes. My skinny 16 year old son will be very grateful. He's bummed nobody else wants pancakes any more.

When all of you talk about syrup, do you mean real maple syrup or fake table syrup? Even in my sugar fiend days I thought table syrup was atrocious. I still eat maple syrup, and in reasonable quantities it doesn't taste too sweet to me. My New England soul is sad at all this talk of maple syrup being too sweet.
  • Can_Do_Gal
    jgnatca wrote: »
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463845704988/

Replace half the oat flour with wheat flour so that the pancake is strong enough to be flipped. I also add half a cup protein powder.

Thank you!! I love pumpkin & can't wait to try these.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Can_Do_Gal wrote: »
    When all of you talk about syrup, do you mean real maple syrup or fake table syrup? Even in my sugar fiend days I thought table syrup was atrocious. I still eat maple syrup, and in reasonable quantities it doesn't taste too sweet to me. My New England soul is sad at all this talk of maple syrup being too sweet.

If I'm going to do syrup, it'll be the pure stuff. With the good stuff, I need 1/4 ounce or even less. With the fake stuff, I'll overuse it because I'm looking for a taste I'm not going to get.

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 cup rolled oats/oatmeal
    3 eggs

Blend, then cook like pancake batter.

Delicious, high in protein, easy to make.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Destinyy wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I probably should have clarified. I'm trying to stay away from white flour and pancake mix. It's a filler to me b/c all of the nutrients are basically stripped in white flour and sugar is always added to the boxed mixes. I've heard oat or almond flour was a healthier substitute though. I'll try your pumpkin pancake b/c it sounds great.

there is nothing wrong with white flour...

• SuggaD
    mingle287 wrote: »
    Here you go! Enjoy.

These were so not tasty, imo.
  • SuggaD
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 cup rolled oats/oatmeal
    3 eggs

Blend, then cook like pancake batter.

Delicious, high in protein, easy to make.

I make a version of this....egg whites though, vanilla, cinnamon, a little baking powder. Top with berries. Delicious and filling!
  • MarvinSanderford
    MarvinSanderford Posts: 10 Member
    I have tried the eggs/banana recipe and it is awesome!! EASY and awesome!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I have heard stories that the eggs/banana recipe came out looking like scrambled eggs. My guess is that it is very important to blend the HECK out of the ingredients and make sure it is of batter consistency before it hits the pan.
  • DesOdhi
    DesOdhi Posts: 84 Member
    mingle287 wrote: »
    9rx35x5ztoos.jpg
    yvluoe9gzdym.jpg

Sorry, I'm allergic to bananas. But thank you!
  • DesOdhi
    DesOdhi Posts: 84 Member
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Ones I make:
    1 tsp baking soda
    20 grams of protein powder
    1/4 cup whole wheat flouer
    1 egg white
    6 ounces plain greek yogurt

For the ingredients I use (your nutritional info will vary depending on the nutrition of your ingredients):
    Roughly 3-4 pancakes, depending on how big I pour them:
    300 calories
    2 g fat
    31 g carbs
    5 g fiber
    7 g sugar
    40 g protein

I usually use a light syrup or the real maple stuff since the flavor goes a long way. Or eat them with peanut butter. Or just plain.

Sounds good, I'll try it.