Obesity in women 'as dangerous as terror threat'

Options
13»

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    Well in the US at least, obesity is going to kill a whole lot more people that terrorism in any given year. If people are upset that it took some word twisting to lead people to an article that states truth... well maybe they should avoid the press sources.
  • sosmove1
    sosmove1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    :/

Oh, I see it's just a threat to the UK. Good thing I live in the US. I was worried there for a moment.

I think it's the fat men who are threats in the US.

LOL LOL!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Actually, far more dangerous. People worry so much about extremely rare ways they might die (terrorism, plane crash, etc.) but not about the ways that are tens of thousands of times more common.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Sigh
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Well in the US at least, obesity is going to kill a whole lot more people that terrorism in any given year. If people are upset that it took some word twisting to lead people to an article that states truth... well maybe they should avoid the press sources.

I don't think its the wording as much as its the source itself. Daily mail is equivalent to the kardashians . if anyone wants to be taken seriously, a source with a better reputation then daily mail is needed.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I read the subject line and thought "That sounds like a 'Daily Mail' headline."

And it was.

I'm not even from the UK and thought the same thing.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    Since relative to other dangers like dying in an automobile collision terror threats in both the UK and US are fairly unlikely for an individual, I guess he is saying the risk isn't that high.
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Terror threat? What, does she think the obese people might stampede through the towns if there is a sugar shortage or something? I personally don't care if there is a sugar shortage but get the hell out of my way if pizza becomes endangered. :smiley:
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Glad they didn't use any sensationalist headlines to drag in readers.

It got the OP, though!

Unfortunately, me too. I actually read the thing. Being all healthcare related and such. The content of the article I don't question. It's the headline that irritates. This is why I rarely follow the news. It takes more effort to weed through the sensationalized crap than I have time to be bothered with. :rage:

General time saver, if it's the Daily Mail, probably not worth bothering with.

This is true. I miss the Daily Show. There seemed to be more truth in that than there is in most news these days.

Well, the Daily Show is still on, albeit not as good.

I haven't watched the new one. No cable. Jon Stewart was amazing. I'll have to check out YouTube to see what it's looking like now.

I watched the first few. I like the new guy.
    Then they changed the country detection so I can't scum it anymore. I'll have to see if there's some other way.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I read the subject line and thought "That sounds like a 'Daily Mail' headline."

And it was.

It was however accurate reporting of what the lady said in the media.

Here's a less excitable report, with a link to the actual document http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35061167
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Obese people only hurt themselves, let them.
    They are a terrible drain on national health care funds, but then again maybe they bring that back somewhere else in the form of sales taxes from food and diet industry product scams?

If people decided to get fat instead of throwing people off of buildings, that would be nice.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

It got the OP, though!

Unfortunately, me too. I actually read the thing. Being all healthcare related and such. The content of the article I don't question. It's the headline that irritates. This is why I rarely follow the news. It takes more effort to weed through the sensationalized crap than I have time to be bothered with. :rage:

This is true. I miss the Daily Show. There seemed to be more truth in that than there is in most news these days.

I haven't watched the new one. No cable. Jon Stewart was amazing. I'll have to check out YouTube to see what it's looking like now.

Then they changed the country detection so I can't scum it anymore. I'll have to see if there's some other way.

I watched some of his stand-up and some interviews since this was posted earlier. He's pretty entertaining. Love the South African accent. Those are some big shoes to fill though.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

It got the OP, though!

I watched some of his stand-up and some interviews since this was posted earlier. He's pretty entertaining. Love the South African accent. Those are some big shoes to fill though.

I think he does a great job. It definitely helps that a lot of insanity is going on right now, so lots to focus on.