What foods keep you full AND under your cal limit?

Options
entwife
entwife Posts: 134 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So hit me with your tricks and choices that allow you to stay within your calorie limit and help keep those hungry feelings away? What do you do, low GI, high protein, something else? I spend the second half of the day thinking constantly about food and need some help to get past it, please!

Replies

• xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If I get enough protein I usually don't get too hungry for a while.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Everything that I can't eat…

Almonds
    Cashews
    Pistachios
    Macadamia nuts
    Sunflower seeds
    Fruits
    Vegetables
    Peanut butter
    Greek yogurt
    Cheese
    Chicken
    Turkey
    Eggs
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    There are some foods that especially keep me full but what works best for me is planning ahead. Doesn't mean I pre-log but I do plan out my day. On the days I work early I just eat a little in the morning but I have a really big lunch. That easily gets me through to dinner. Then most days I try to have dinner be the last food I eat. After that I just drink tea! As for the specific foods I'd say, eggs, high fiber bread with peanut butter, a hunk of cheese etc.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I pre-plan and pre-log. Lean meat is a go-to for me for something I consider super filling, but I also personally find starchy foods like pasta to be very filling.

Some of that seems to be personal preference. Spaghetti is very filling to me, but not to everyone.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm not so sure any more. I seem to need a combination of protein and carbs. Fat in just the minimal amount necessary for health. That's these days. It used to be different, so it might change again.

The exception to this is popcorn. A bowl of that will keep me full for a long time.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Avocados (have lots of good fat and protein), oatmeal, and a large serving of a salad with spinach, red bell pepper, mushrooms, green onion, cucumber with the peel, and tomato. On that I use Bolthouse yogurt dressing.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm not so sure any more. I seem to need a combination of protein and carbs. Fat in just the minimal amount necessary for health. That's these days. It used to be different, so it might change again.

The exception to this is popcorn. A bowl of that will keep me full for a long time.

Your first paragraph sounds so familiar. Every time I think I've figured myself out, I go and change again :unamused:
  • entwife
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone, yeah i guess a combination of protein, carbs plus lots of fiber is the way to go. I just struggle a bit because there's a string of things i can't eat. Always in the past on diets eggs were my go-to food but I'm now intolerant of them, plus wheat, nightshades, lactose and certain food additives. So no potatoes, tomatoes, bell peppers, cheese, yoghurt, omelettes, pasta etc etc etc.

Avocado & oatmeal are good ideas, lean meat and fish, legumes i guess (eurgh to the side effects lol) and salads with the allowed veggies. Plus some nuts and other grains like rice, quinoa etc. Any other suggestions?
  • entwife
    Options
    Everything that I can't eat…

Almonds
    Cashews
    Pistachios
    Macadamia nuts
    Sunflower seeds
    Fruits
    Vegetables
    Peanut butter
    Greek yogurt
    Cheese
    Chicken
    Turkey
    Eggs

Was that a typo, did you mean to say these are the foods you CAN'T eat?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Your first paragraph sounds so familiar. Every time I think I've figured myself out, I go and change again :unamused:

I've been at this for over a year, and I've had three different "phases" so far. Who knows what will happen as time goes on.

My needs seem to change with my activity level/focus.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I am 9+ months in this new way of life. As @PeachyCarol and @jemhh have observed things have changed. One thing that has always changed with the seasons and temperatures. I eat more vegetable based soups in the winter, more salad in the summer. I drink more herbal tea in the winter and mostly ice water in the summer. Chicken in the winter and fish in the summer. Popcorn is a winner, my hot air popper stopped working yesterday. :'(
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Salmon. Crazy filling; stay full for hours and very low cal for how dense it is.
    It's always my goto on oh-I-want-to-eat-everything days!
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I stir up some lean protein (chicken breast, turkey) with a lot of veggies and a little carbs all in a non-stick pan. Made one just now that I couldn't finish.

3/4 tsp. coconut oil
    4 oz. chicken breast
    3 tbsp. chopped onion
    1/3 c. chopped celery
    1 c. broccoli florets
    1/3 c. wild rice

For seasoning I used salt, pepper, garlic & onion powder, bouquet garni and about a 1/2 tsp of chicken base with some water. Under 300 calories.

Other go tos for me are Quest protein bars or chilled apples cored and sliced thin. Sometimes I go for low cal popcorn or Greek yogurt in the evening.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I know this isn't really answering your question, but when I feel hungry despite eating enough calories over the whole day I just ride it out. Hunger pangs only last for about 15 minutes and then you're good to go until your next meal (for me personally, anyway). I just always remind myself that hunger isn't urgent.
  • hellotohealthy
    hellotohealthy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal and yogurt
  • ModerationWins
    ModerationWins Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    foods that are high in fiber and water with lemon
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Fat and protein keep me full. Once I lowered my carbs my cravings and constant hunger and thinking about my next meal/snack disappeared. Your mileage may vary.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I bulk up all my meals with lots of vegetables. I also make sure I get some protein in at each meal. I also eat plenty of other things, of course, like usually some starch course with the meal too (potato, beans, pasta).

Do my food choices make me not hungry or is it simply that I adjust to whatever my eating schedule is and once I'm used to it am not hungry. Not sure, but since I think the veg and protein is healthy I will stick with it.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Veggie soups with shiritake noodles; big salads; stir fries with lots of onions, celery, and napa cabbage