Addicted to oatmeal?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    OP, I am in the same situation. I could eat only oatmeal at every meal. :yum:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I used to cook steel cut oats in the crock pot over night. Then I would add raisins and take it to work to eat cold.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I love apple baked oatmeal but for some reason it doesn't fill me up as much as stove top or even microwaved oatmeal. It is a nice treat from time to time though. I don't normally add apples to my oats but when it's baked its just delicious.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love the texture of oatmeal, especially steel cut. There are so many good options one could eat instead, though, that I wouldn't bother with it if I didn't like it.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    JShailen wrote: »
    I love apple baked oatmeal but for some reason it doesn't fill me up as much as stove top or even microwaved oatmeal. It is a nice treat from time to time though. I don't normally add apples to my oats but when it's baked its just delicious.

I'm the same way. Baked oatmeal just isn't as filling to me.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    So my pancake recipe is:
    1 serving(40g) old fashion oats ground to a flour
    1/2 serving/scoop vanilla protein powder which for the kind im using is about 19 grams. I currently am using Body Fortress Whey Isolate(38g=1 scoop)
    92 grams egg whites. I use All Whites brand carton kind.
    1 tsp of baking powder.
    2-3 tbsp Granulated sweetener of choice. I use "Swerve" brand which is zero calories and has baking/browning characteristics of sugar. Use more or less for sweetness preference.
    Hard to say how much cinnamon i use i just eyeball it. Maybe 1-2 tsp?
    Even less nutmeg, maybe 1/4 of the amount of cinnamon.
    Maybe about 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
    hard say as the last few i eyeball, add more or less based on taste preference.
    a few table spoons of almond or cashew milk. I use a 25cal for 8oz unsweetened cashew milk. Add more to get the consistency the way you like it.
    Blend to a batter adding more almond or cashew milk if necessary.
    I use a no calorie cooking spray for the pan.
    hope you like. :smile:
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Thanks for posting your recipe! I can't wait to make them. I already have oat flour on hand so that saves me a step.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Is it keeping you from getting other nutrients that you need or is it putting you over your calorie goals?

I was thinking the same thing, and it seems to me that her carb count has to be very high while her protein maybe very low, since there is no much variety. But the OP doesn't log her food (diary is public), so that is just my opinion.
    Any way, I don't like oatmeal and the only kind that I eat once or twice a month, at the most, is the instant low sugar variety. And only if I don't feel like making something else. I never developed a taste for it.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The oddity with me is, that oatmeal & other "supposedly" (I only use this word, to distinguish; my lack of results but not to, fictionalize a fact; for others) fulling foods; actually don't fill me. I'd have to consume at least 4 packets of oatmeal, as 1 serving; to feel reasonably satiated & that'd be 520 calories.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    @betuel75 Thank you! I will definitely try this. I entered the ingredients in my diary and the calories are low enough to add real maple syrup! Thank you again.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The oddity with me is, that oatmeal & other "supposedly" (I only use this word, to distinguish; my lack of results but not to, fictionalize a fact; for others) fulling foods; actually don't fill me. I'd have to consume at least 4 packets of oatmeal, as 1 serving; to feel reasonably satiated & that'd be 520 calories.

Yes, I understand what you are saying. I have the same problem with eggs alone or chicken alone. I once had 800 calories worth of chicken and all it did was make me sick, but I was hungry an hour later. Odd, because half a chicken breast and a large potato + salad fills me for at least 5 hours at under 450 calories.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I adore oats. I always prepare mine overnight style - weigh everything and mix it up in a big bowl and then portion it into 5 glass jars the night before I want to eat the first serving. 2 go in the fridge (they last about two days) and the other three go in the freezer. I grab one for work in the morning and heat it up in the microwave at the office. Today a portion will serve as lunch. I never cook oats the regular way.

The bonus is that when you heat it up, whatever you mixed in with it gets cooked too - cooked banana and cooked apple pieces are awesome!

This weeks recipe is banana chia with cinnamon and greek yogurt.

The liberating moment for me was discovering that I could throw anything in if I followed the basic proportions of 1 portion oats, to 3 portions liquid/other stuff. When you feel confident about that part you can use whatever you fancy in there and know it will work out.
  • zidine100
    zidine100 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Yep, I know exactly where your coming from with that. I can eat 200g of rolled oats in the morning and still not be full.
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    @jenniator - Have tried making your recipe several times.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal with cocoa powder (My absolute favorite since it taste just like chocolate cake, but it's healthy and low in calories!!) (Some times peanut butter isn't included):
    30 grams of Oatmeal: 112.5 cal
    5 grams of Chocolate Powder: 19.5 cal
    4 grams of brown sugar: 15.8 cal
    Half Milk 100 grams: 48 cal
    Skippy Crunchy Peanut Butter 16 grams: 95 cal
    Total: 290.8 cal

Love the original version, ( kind of reminds me of no-bake cookies), tried to do a little experimenting with it and added a cut up banana to it. Didn't care to much for that. Have you tried other variations of it?
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    So my pancake recipe is:
    1 serving(40g) old fashion oats ground to a flour
    1/2 serving/scoop vanilla protein powder which for the kind im using is about 19 grams. I currently am using Body Fortress Whey Isolate(38g=1 scoop)
    92 grams egg whites. I use All Whites brand carton kind.
    1 tsp of baking powder.
    2-3 tbsp Granulated sweetener of choice. I use "Swerve" brand which is zero calories and has baking/browning characteristics of sugar. Use more or less for sweetness preference.
    Hard to say how much cinnamon i use i just eyeball it. Maybe 1-2 tsp?
    Even less nutmeg, maybe 1/4 of the amount of cinnamon.
    Maybe about 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
    hard say as the last few i eyeball, add more or less based on taste preference.
    a few table spoons of almond or cashew milk. I use a 25cal for 8oz unsweetened cashew milk. Add more to get the consistency the way you like it.
    Blend to a batter adding more almond or cashew milk if necessary.
    I use a no calorie cooking spray for the pan.
    hope you like. :smile:

Sounds good! I've made a similar oat pancake to this but instead of the protein powder I added soya yogurt and whole eggs instead. Just 1 whole egg though. I have protein powder that's collecting dust lol, I'll need to try this out.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,913 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I made Gingerbread Oatmeal the other night:

wi6vxe4ru3hu.jpg

It would have been fine with half the nuts, but I was trying to hit a fat macro.

I might try adding some grated apple next time.

To change the texture, I cook it for a really long time, so used 1 C of water. I also added a pinch of salt.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited December 2015
    Options

Well, I'm with you on packet oatmeal, and that's the problem ... it's packet oatmeal.

Traditional rolled oats are much more filling for me, but I also eat them with protein powder mixed in.