Why did you let yourself gain so much weight?

Options
noobletmcnugget
noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Really don't mean for this question to be offensive, and am aware that in some cases weight gain is exacerbated by medical conditions. I'm genuinely interested in why people let themselves become very overweight (especially to the point of it being detrimental to your health and quality of life), so would be interested to hear from anyone willing to share!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Because food is delicious and I was lazy.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Food is my first love.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love food and I like doing things that make me happy, and eating food makes me happy. Also my 'I'm satisfied' threshold is very high and it's always been hard for me to feel satisfied by a 'normal' amount of food.

Also moved and stopped being as active and didn't change my eating habits.

That pretty much sums it up.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Depression and didn't care about my appearance. Ironically when I was my heaviest two girls were very interested in me, but my mind wasn't right. Now that I am much more fitter it is getting a little more challenging.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options

Lol thats me exactly.
  • Zoltansbeard
    Zoltansbeard Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For me it was a mix of eating out of sadness(kinda numbs the pain) when i was a kid and often boredom later. Also to be quite frankly... i had problems really loving myself until recently.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I was a normal sized kid but my mother has always had an eating disorder and basically told me that I was the fattest thing ever. She heavily restricted what I ate. When I left her house I went absolutely crazy with eating everything and anything I wasn't allowed to eat as a kid.

Then I had 3 kids which didn't help matters.

It took me this long to realize what my problem was and stop it.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    taracan25 wrote: »

Lol thats me exactly.

Me three!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

• crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options

Yep. This exactly.

But also, when I was a kid my parents restricted food that they thought wasn't healthy, so when I was around food like cookies and candy and all the things that I wasn't allowed to have I would eat as much as I possibly could. I remember sleeping over at a friend's house when I was around 8, and I kept sneaking upstairs to eat cookies that they had. I polished off an entire box plus more when no one was paying attention. That kind of thing happened a lot.
  • Vcorz
    Vcorz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I had always been very thin, almost underweight....then as I approached 40, I started gaining weight rapidly and didn't know how to stop it, never having had to watch before. Gained 12 inches round my waist I haven't been able to lose.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I love food and I like doing things that make me happy, and eating food makes me happy. Also my 'I'm satisfied' threshold is very high and it's always been hard for me to feel satisfied by a 'normal' amount of food.

Also moved and stopped being as active and didn't change my eating habits.

That pretty much sums it up.

Yes - that's me too!

I'd add to that the fact my best friends are all bigger than me so that made my getting fatter more acceptable and normal than perhaps it should be.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options

This and I had myself convinced that "I didn't look that bad." Because lots of people are overweight, right? But that's because I was lazy and didn't want to take responsibility for my actions.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I actually think it's because I grew up very thin- and could eat whatever I liked and stay thin. High metabolism? Probably. And I'm no athlete so I can't even chalk it up to sports. In my early 30s I found out I have an overactive thyroid, which was probably why I could continue to eat a lot a stay thin, but at the same time my thyroid was killing itself, so I went through radioactive iodine treatment and it took a while to adjust the meds. I was on a lot of diets off and on. But I think the real thing is just me growing up thin and having a mental image of myself being thin. I didn't realize how heavy I had become. I would see myself in the mirror and think "I look good" but if I saw myself on film either video or pictures I would be like "who is that?" I knew it was time when I got to 180 on my small frame of 5'4". I had to do something because I just kept gaining, slowly, but gaining a bit every year.

And also I agree with the above- food is delicious. I would like to add- life gets busy with teenagers and fast food is easy and inexpensive and you can eat a sandwich in the car while driving a lot easier than a salad. It was a lot of food on the run during those years which didn't help either.
  • StellaRose227
    StellaRose227 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Pretty much this. Then I got pregnant and ate all the things.

Actually, for me a big part of it was failure to plan. I love cooking, so while we ate fast food a couple of times a month, it wasn't an every day thing. That doesn't mean that I was eating healthy home-cooked meals either. It was nothing for me to come in from work and make a chicken pot pie from scratch because that was the first thing that came to mind when I opened the freezer and saw chicken and frozen vegetables.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I deleted my entire reply to this question.

I'll just ditto @juggernaut1974 instead of speaking my mind.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    When I was young, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. At first, the treatment was to eat specific amounts and types of food consistently each day at certain times, and to take the same amount of insulin each day at the same times.

Within a month, I had gained 20 lbs. Within a year, I had doubled my weight. Within 3 years, I was almost triple my original weight. At that point, I was obese and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. The endocrinologist said I was only the 2nd patient she had ever seen with both type 1 and type 2 (it is much more common now and is called "double diabetes").

For years, I didn't believe it was even possible to lose fat. I feared that a deficit would cause low BG, which would require me to eat and eliminate the deficit. When I finally got serious using MFP, that is exactly what happened. I even had a scary day early on where for 12 hours, I took no bolus insulin and even cut back my basal insulin during part of that time... still, I ended up eating more than 600g of carbs just to treat low BG. It would just keep dipping low. I was so scared because I knew if I fell asleep, I would stop eating and might not wake up again.

Also, my appetite is enormous.
  • hellotohealthy
    hellotohealthy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Food tastes delicious and I am too lazy/injured to exercise. I got injured during marathon training and became depressed. Instead of moving on and rehabing my bum hip I ate until I gained 20 pounds. I've started "dieting" so many times and I always give up within a week. The all or nothing mentality is what gets me.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I had always been the size I preferred until the past few years. My son was involved in a terrible accident and I ended up basically broken. I stopped doing everything I usually did and just didn't care about myself anymore. The weight came on very fast. I have spent the past three years trying to lose the weight, in different ways, and it hasn't happened yet. Maybe this time it will stick.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The last two times I gained weight was after getting into relationships - when I'm single I spend a lot more time in the gym and I cook differently. That was just 20 pounds, though.

I've also gained weight when I went from active jobs to desk jobs. And I've self-medicated with food.