Cheat days

Options
For the past two months I've been doing really well and all, but it's literally been healthy healthy healthy food all the time. Sometimes I want to just go out and have a burrito or Olive Garden! How bad is it to have a day off once in a while? Tips?

Replies

• mellowadam
    mellowadam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I plan 3 meals out each week. Otherwise I prepare and weigh all of my meals. I eat tasty stuff like a chipotle burrito or a foot long sub with chips. Tonight I ate a grand slam at Denny's. I usually budget 1000 calls for these meals. I don't use it as an excuse to binge. It all fits my calories and macros but since I'm eating really healthy all the time some refined carbs taste really good.

In my opinion a full cheat day could seriously impact your progress. You could easily eat back a substantial portion of your weekly deficit.

That's just what works for me.
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to "cheat." Work what you want into your calories. And if it happens to go over? Meh. Just keep swimming. :)
  • parashag
    parashag Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on a weight loss journey for the past 16 months having lost over 120lbs and I have done this with having a cheat day once every week. I suppose it depends on what you are doing for the other 6 days as to whether this can work or not.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You're human, you're entitled to a burrito. Log it and make it fit if you can. But don't beat yourself up if you can't. Once a month 'treat' is absolutely okay, in my opinion. Though I draw the line at calling them 'cheat days'.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Half of this is just the psychology. I have had "cheat days" every so often, but they aren't really cheat days. Even on those days, I never really ate more than my maintainence weight, so I just set that as my secondary goal when I want to have something a little more decadent. its a day where I didn't lose anything, but also a day I didn't gain anything. Helps you not feel guilty, while still being healthy, and within goal.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    For the past two months I've been doing really well and all, but it's literally been healthy healthy healthy food all the time. Sometimes I want to just go out and have a burrito or Olive Garden! How bad is it to have a day off once in a while? Tips?

It isn't bad to eat food you like any day. You can eat what you like and lose weight as long as it fits your calorie goal. Fit it into your calorie goal or decide to eat at your maintenance level occasionally.
    Food isn't unhealthy unless you are allergic, it is spoiled or has been poisoned.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate pretty much every day and have lost over 100 lbs. For me, not labeling food as "bad" and eating most meals as healthy but fitting in treats has been key. Eat the yummy food if you want. :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Just go and work it into your calories. Keep in mind that the new habits you're creating should be kept up for life. Can you picture life without going out to eat or indulging once in a while? I eat fast food and pizza nearly every week still, the difference now is smaller portions and lower calorie options.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If you stay within your calories it's fine. I would highly recommend just a cheat meal though as apposed to a day.
  • valeriesmith1840
    valeriesmith1840 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My personal feeling is, for what it's worth, is that you should eat what you want within reason. Eat healthy as much as possible because even though it may not seem like it, those habits stick and you start to crave healthier foods. But if you have to have a stinkin' burrito I say have it. Just don't have three and try not to make every meal a cheese and sour cream laden burrito. But if you want to be healthy for life...you gotta enjoy your food...and I personally don't want to live a life without pizza or burritos! LOL So I indulge when I want to...just not all the time. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Have your cheat day if that's what you lint to call it (I find it to be a negative term) but you can still practice portion control. Save at least half you plate for take home, then turn it into 2 more meals. Have your pasta, eat athebptotrin & just s little pasta to save calories. It is most effective to make changes that can be sustained for life. A go distend eating pattern is mire helpful than good days and cheat days. That's a lot of flip flopping back & forth that likely will end up flopping the wrong way at some point. Just my perspective that works got me.
    SW 301
    CW 180
    GW 150
    18 mo.
  • percolater
    percolater Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    We eat lunch out every day, so that includes burritos, pizza, Chinese buffet, and many more. The only restaurants I make strictly off limits are the ones that don't post their calories anywhere. My favorite food is Mexican, so I order the large chicken and rice Burrito covered in melted white cheese with a salad on the side. I just cut the burrito in half and take the rest home for my son's "snack." That makes my lunch 500 calories, just like the plan calls for. I don't call anything cheating unless it goes far over my daily caloric goal of 1200.

• tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Instead of looking at it as a cheat day track your daily gross and net averages for the week in MFP in the nutrition tab. Pre log your daily limit of calories each day with a quick add if you don't have your meals planned and log the dinner at Olive Garden on the day you plan to have it and add your other meals that day as well. Check your daily average for the week and as long as the number is 500 calories less than you burn daily (TDEE) you are on track for weight loss. If the number is too high cut some calories from other days. I might eat 1,000-1,300 6 days a week and then 2,400 one day and I have not plateaued in almost 4 months. Knock on wood lol :smile:
  • WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    While I track my calories daily, I aim to be under/at my goal for the week, not every single day. It allows me to deal with those days that I go over without feeling so much guilt about it, but still be on track overall. As well, I try not to deny myself the things I love to eat. While I do talk myself out of that piece of chocolate on occasion, I've had cheesecake twice this week and still managed to not totally blow my deficit.

I'm also in the camp of "I exercise so that I can eat more" ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have a suspicion that you have a very narrow perception of "healthy". I live in New Mexico where burritos would be pretty standard fare...I don't find them to be inherently unhealthy...

Beyond that, you should look at your diet and nutritional profile as a whole. I have pizza every couple of weeks with my kiddos...it doesn't somehow diminish all of the other awesomely nutritious foods I've eaten throughout the week.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I give myself one cheat MEAL every once and awhile where I can have unlimited calories for that MEAL.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I give myself one cheat MEAL every once and awhile where I can have unlimited calories for that MEAL.

Christmas day brunch for me!
  • mirandajling
    mirandajling Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would love to say that "cheat days/meals" don't derail me or throw me off, but they totally do. I like to save those for when I need them, like a holiday or event. But so many people sware by them to keep their sanity during weight loss. Everyone's different, do what works for you! :)