Why do most fastfood items have less calories internaionally?

Options
Hey everyone,

I'm originally from the U.S. and I moved to the Netherlands a few years back. I'm not sure if anyone noticed or realized this, but most of the menu items have less calories in the Netherlands than at the U.S. Mc Donalds. I was wondering if anyone know why this is. I really am curious. I noticed it with every fast food chain here, Mc Donalds, BK, Subway, KFC, ect. It's not a huge calorie change generally, but I'm just curious why it is different. I would assume that every fastfood chain has the same calories in the big items like a Big Mac since I would think there prepared the same. Here are 2 comparisons:

Burger King:

Whopper U.S.: 650 calories
Orginal long Chicken U.S.: 660 calories
Big King U.S.: 530 calories

Whopper Netherlands: 617.6 calories
Orginal long Chicken Netherlands: 576.6 calories
Big King Netherlands: 477.9 calories

Mc Donalds:
Big Mac U.S.: 540 calories
Quarter Pounder with cheese U.S.: 540 calories
Filet O Fish U.S.: 390 calories
Mc Flurry U.S. small: 430 calories

Big Mac Netherlands: 509 calories
Quarter Pounder with cheese Netherlands: 527 calories
Filet O fish Netherlands: 333 calories
Mc Flurry Netherlands Small: 346 calories

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I would say a combination of the US expecting larger portion sizes, more of certain ingredients like salt and sugar, and possibly the fact that some ingredients are banned in certain countries, so calories may change if they need to use a different ingredient to work around that. I suspect it's mostly portion size.

6641800_f520.jpg
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Size.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Amazing! I didn't know this. I would like to know the reasoning.
  • jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thanks guys :) I'm guessing it may be size too. I thought the size difference was only in drinks though. I thought a big mac for example was the same size at every mc donalds.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Portion size for the most part. Sometimes the whole item is larger, sometimes it just has more dressing etc. Sometimes they just have a different source of cheese / buns between continents.

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Agreeing about portion size. America is rather infamous for our (outrageous) portion sizes.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Agreed. When I came to the US on holiday many years ago I was amazed by the size of portions. Although I do think in UK we are now catching up.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    The Big Mac US vs Big Mac Australia is HUGE, 550 calories to 493.
    This is also evident when just looking at the burger itself. I laughed the first time I saw one down here. more $$ for far less burger.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Different labelling rules apply. Fibre isn't a carb in the EU for example so subtle differences arise with the exact same food.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    Agreeing about portion size. America is rather infamous for our (outrageous) portion sizes.

I had dinner Saturday at an upscale Italian restaurant and could actually finish the entree without being overly stuffed. 99% of the time I eat out I can bring home half of the entree because half a serving is plenty.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Part of the reason portion sizes are bigger in the US is because our food is so cheap relative to our income - http://www.ibtimes.com/us-spends-less-food-any-other-country-world-maps-1546945

When food is cheap, we can serve bigger portions, which are more appealing when you are competing against another company that sells the same quality food for the same price (people equate portion size with quality). Even McDonald's UK website tries to answer this question (why UK portions are smaller) by saying it is the best value for the money. If McDonald's UK could make the portion bigger and make more profit they would, but they would probably have to raise menu prices which wouldn't be accepted by their customers at this time.

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    What cracks me up is I have to argue with them to give me more than 4 ice cubes. Guys you're saving product if you give me what I want.
    Do Aussies really rather a full cup of warm soda?
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Lots of factors come into it. Beyond labeling laws, logistics, average size of population, etc you also have things like different varieties of meat mixes, local supplies of certain things, etc.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'll bet on portion size for soda and chips, then amount of fat -- cheese, for example for the burgers.

I see adverts in the US for cheese on bacon on burger sandwiches. Does that even exist in Europe ?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Some of it is portion size. Some of it is the US's tendency to use corn oil / high fructose corn syrup in everything. When you go to other countries, you'll find that other ingredients are used in their stead, which can have variable calorie levels. Corn is heavily subsidized in the US, which is why it's in everything.
  • jenniator
    Options
    ericGold15 wrote: »
    I'll bet on portion size for soda and chips, then amount of fat -- cheese, for example for the burgers.

I see adverts in the US for cheese on bacon on burger sandwiches. Does that even exist in Europe ?

If your asking if there are burgers with bacon and cheese in Europe, then yes there are :D In the Netherlands, we also have burgers that are crazy high in calories and over the top. We have a burger here at our Mc Donalds called the Big Tasty and it's 885 calories!! It comes with bacon and 2 pieces of cheese. Burger king over here is really crazy with their calories like in America. They have some bugers that reach over 1,000 calories for just the burger!!! We also have double and triple whoppers which is really sad since the normal whopper is more than enough food :(
  • jenniator
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone for answering :D I bet it is the portion size or a different ingredients. It is pretty funny still :) But yeah it is sad how big the portions are in the U.S. I lived there for 21 years and now I've been here in the Netherlands for 2 in a half years so I really see the difference!! In America when you go out to eat anywhere, they give you so much food that your totally stuffed and can't finish everything. A lot of people in America including the old me love the feeling of being stuffed and they don't want less food. In Europe, the restaurants give you a lot less food so that you aren't stuffed or full, but your satisfied. It's not normal here to be stuffed of very full after a meal and a lot of people here don't like that feeling. Pretty funny and a different change when I first came here. But it has helped me a lot since I'm losing weight. Me and my husband went to America in October and it was a total shock since I wasn't back home in 2 in a half years. It's a guilty pleasure of me to admit, but I loved the huge over sized portion sizes :blush: I mean I grew up eating such huge portions and I've been losing weight for a long time, so it was a wonderful treat to just let myself go a bit. It didn't hurt me too much since we were only on vacation for 2 weeks. I did notice a huge change in myself though. Before I could clean off my plate no problem. Now this time, I couldn't finish everything all the time ha ha. But yeah it was a wonderful experience short term, it would be a huge problem long-term to always eat like that. The smartest thing would be to set half aside for later, but unfortunately not everyone does that :( With everything larger than life and giving huger portions than we ever need, I can see how so many people are overweight or obese. Especially since we don't exercise enough. It really is a shame.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »
    In Europe, the restaurants give you a lot less food so that you aren't stuffed or full, but your satisfied. It's not normal here to be stuffed of very full after a meal and a lot of people here don't like that feeling.

Because I'm very small (5'1" / 106lbs), to me, portion sizes everywhere are far too big. In the US, they're excessively too big, but even here in Canada or in Europe or elsewhere, they're still too big for me if they're meant for a normal sized person.

I've just gotten very comfortable ordering smaller snack-sized portions, sharing food, taking half home, or simply sending the rest back uneaten. It's waste food either way; better in the trash than on my hips.

The biggest weight loss learning for me has been that, even at maintenance, I can't go to a restaurant and "clean my plate" without gaining. Those portions are meant for average-sized men, not below-average sized women.

• jenniator
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    jenniator wrote: »
    In Europe, the restaurants give you a lot less food so that you aren't stuffed or full, but your satisfied. It's not normal here to be stuffed of very full after a meal and a lot of people here don't like that feeling.

Because I'm very small (5'1" / 106lbs), to me, portion sizes everywhere are far too big. In the US, they're excessively too big, but even here in Canada or in Europe or elsewhere, they're still too big for me if they're meant for a normal sized person.

I've just gotten very comfortable ordering smaller snack-sized portions, sharing food, taking half home, or simply sending the rest back uneaten. It's waste food either way; better in the trash than on my hips.

The biggest weight loss learning for me has been that, even at maintenance, I can't go to a restaurant and "clean my plate" without gaining. Those portions are meant for average-sized men, not below-average sized women.

That's very true :( It's unfortunately if your smaller. I'm 5'5, so I'm able to eat more. But yeah the portions in the U.S. are excessively too big!! I can see how the portions would be too big for you even in Canada or Europe. You really have to be careful what you eat being smaller since it's so easy to gain weight eating foods that are larger portion and meant for taller people. It is better to waste food than to force yourself to eat it and gain weight. Me personally, I love that in the U.S. the portions are so excessive since I love bringing leftovers home and eating it later that night or the next day :D I think you wouldn't feel uncomfortable bringing home portions or sharing with someone :) I see plenty of people do that! It's also cheaper since if you take food home, it lasts a lot longer than eating it all in one sitting.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Canada has big portion sizes too. Bigger than Europe