Why do most fastfood items have less calories internaionally?

Options

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Canada has big portion sizes too. Bigger than Europe

Yes, though Europe isn't a monolith either. And neither is Canada. I agree with you on average, but it depends what and where. If you eat at chain restaurants, you'll tend to see bigger portion sizes than you would at little indie bistros or local places.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I went from Holland to the US so can imagine how you feel lol

But it is not only the Fast Food it is also other foods
    Yogurt and Milk for example have less calories in Holland. Less sugars too.
    Lot of food have less sugar and salt.

Mayonaise a good example lol
    Very salty in the US less in Holland. And yes you can indeed eat more in Holland for the same amount of calories

Some explanation to that for people who say milk is milk etc.
    It depends what kind of hormones and food a cow get. Like blue fat grass cows produce other milk than cows that eat only hay or corn mixtures etc. And the difference can be as high as 20 calories for a cup of milk or yogurt. So same full milk as in the US.
    This is for as far the dairy difference

But meat get not injected with salt ( like the US chicken breasts) or less. The rules for that is heavier in Europe.

A normal thing like an apple in grams even have less calories ( Holland has less sun so the apple is less sweet so less sugar in it)
    etc etc lol

95069916.png

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I've also noticed some inconsistency. A big mac where I live is 511 calories for example, but a quarter pounder with cheese is 599, so even things that have similar ingredients are not necessarily consistent in being higher or lower in calories.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    The quality of their food is better too, I believe. Man I miss Mcdonalds seasoned potato wedges served with a side of sour cream. Mcdonald's veggie burgers were pretty awesome, too! Everything there seems so much more fresh, and the Mcdonald's Cafe is really nice, too!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Less sugar, salt and fat. Remember that here in the US, sugar and corn are subsidized by the US govt.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    As a visitor to the US I would say portion size for sure but also I couldn't get over how sweet normal commercially made bread is in the US. It tastes like dessert buns or something. I had to go to a village market and buy some home made sourdough bread in order to not feel like I was having some revolting dessert salad sandwich. So maybe like said above its the HFCS that seems to go into everything?
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    As a visitor to the US I would say portion size for sure but also I couldn't get over how sweet normal commercially made bread is in the US. It tastes like dessert buns or something. I had to go to a village market and buy some home made sourdough bread in order to not feel like I was having some revolting dessert salad sandwich. So maybe like said above its the HFCS that seems to go into everything?

As an American, I HATE the sweet bread. I haven't eaten much wheat/whole grain bread in my life because of how sweet it is. With the recent push to market whole grains, there are some good supermarket alternatives now. Thank goodness.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    You beat me to it - that sweet bread? Ewww... also tons of sugar in spaghetti sauce and that sort of thing - my taste buds don't know what to do with that (they don't like it).

Portion sizes are definitely different. I have visited the US and was amazed. When I use the data base I know I cannot trust the US McDonalds entries, which is why you will see (Aus) in brackets behind many entries. The Australian portions are pretty close to what we experience here in South Africa.

The difference in some things is astounding. Your McFlurries are twice the size and there is cream and stuff on top of the shakes - that is all extra calories.

Any brand that comes here from the US tones it down a bit to suit the local palette.
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Its the portion size, whenever we go to the US we are amazed by the size of the burgers and drinks and everything they serve. Even the amount of condiments.
  • Likichina
    Likichina Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That's odd! I'm originally from Brazil and I always tell my husband Mcdonalds stuff tastes a lot better there (I swear it does!!), I just checked the nutritional menu in the Brazilian McDonalds site and a Big Mac has 494 calories for example, compared to the US 540 cal or Netherlands 509 cal. I honestly don't remember the burgers being that different in size, only the fries and drinks. The only thing that I know is that we don't really see high fructose corn syrup in food labels there, while here it appears to be in almost anything processed... Maybe that has something to do with it.

As a side-note, a normal Coca-Cola is also WAY sweeter here in the US compared to a Brazilian one.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    That's interesting.
    I know that Hungry Jacks (Burger King) imports it's french fries from the US. Says so right on the boxes I've seen.
    I wonder what the differences are, if any.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    My guess is size and I believe some countries don't put sugar in their bread.

So is everything American sweetened with sugar?
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

A lot yes...or rather more sugar.
    Dutch bread does have a bit of sugar just less. And dont get me wrong there is bread with more sugar but that is special breads.

And one in particular the so called sugar bread. It is delicious and sticks to your fingers while you eat it lol
    But normal bread no. less sugar so less sweet
    Also molasses is used less

Yogurt is less sweet

And potatoes have less sugar ( less sun hours so veggies have less sugar in them naturally)

So in a way a lot of food has less calories. Sometimes just a tiny bit, sometimes like with milk and yogurts the difference can be 30 calories a cup.

95069916.png

• BurnWithBarn2015
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Here for example Dutch whole milk and US whole milk 200ml ( about a cup for both)

4487o5bfu3oo.png
    a6wlriyi67r5.png

See also of course the difference in Fat, Protein and salt etc

Which makes the difference in calories.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Per cup is not the same as per 200 ml, in fact expressed per 200 ml the two are the same - 124 * 238 / 200 = 148
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

No, HFCS is more popular but if you include that then many foods aim for the optimum enjoyment combo of sugar, fat and salt.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    edited December 2015
    Options
    if you weigh it in grams it is ( and i did) a glas of milk here 210 gram and in Holland 208 gram
    For the same amount.

Less protein in Dutch milk and sugar makes the difference and less fat btw
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    edited December 2015
    Options
    But for better comparing than in grams Dutch "magere jogart is 33 calories per 100 gram
    the lowest in the US is 49 gram per 100 calories
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Everything in fast food is so processed and uses so much salt. I'd assume the sweetness of the sugar is to cut the distinct sodium taste? Idk, whenever I cook, if I over-salt something, I counter it with sugar.