Counting Calories & Moderate Carb VS Low Carb High Fat

Options
I'm an ex-Low Carber. I started strict low carb/high fat on March 13 of 2015, and did very well for a couple of months and then found myself slipping a little. Not too much at all, but my weight loss stalled. Then, I lost motivation, and found myself slipping more and more. I have tried many times to get back on track, but just can't seem to get back to 100%, or even 90%.

I think the problem is that strict low carb is just not realistic for me. Maybe something good to do when I hit a stall once in a while, but I think my body likes some (healthy) carbs, like sweet potatoes, some fruit, chia/flax/quinoa, etc. I'm thinking it might be time to go back to counting calories - but still staying away from simple carbs like pasta, bread and sugar as much as possible. My only concern is that it won't be enough of a diet change to lose weight, since I've always been a relatively healthy eater.

I'm curious if anyone has had success losing weight with a low/moderate carb count - maybe 50-100 carbs daily. Any advice?

FYI I am 5'1", currently 175 lbs and I sit all day at my job. I try to get to the gym 1-2 times a week for about an hour (but, I'm not a lifter, or high intensity exerciser), take a 1 hour zumba class once a week, and take an hour walk outside about once a week. I'm trying to get better about being more active though...

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts and/or successes with something like this. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Since weight loss is a function of calories, not carbs, of course it's possible to lose weight on a low, moderate, or high carb diet.

I averaged about 200 gr of carbs a day when I was dieting and no problems losing weight.

The difference comes down to what method works best for you and is sustainable.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If you find it very hard sticking to low carb, the general advice is to eat what you like. Carb counts have nothing to do with weight loss after all (only CICO does), but some people might see somewhat "faster" losses when low carb.

If it's hard for you to limit carbs, why do you want to do it?
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Yup, you can lose weight on low carb, semi low carb, medium carb, whatever you want to call it, because it's all about the calorie deficit. I have my ratio set to 45% carbs personally, because that's where I naturally end up eating the things I like to eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    weight management is a function of energy (calories) coming in and being expended. when you consume energy in quantities appropriate for maintaining the status quot, you maintain weight. when you consume energy in quantities that exceed your needs, that energy is stored for later use...these are your fat stores...your backup generator. when you consume energy in quantities less than you require, your backup generator kicks on and you burn fat to make up the difference.

i eat a pretty well balanced diet consisting of carbohydrates, protein, and fat and had no issue losing weight nor have I had any issues maintaining that for almost three years now.

also, 50-100 grams of carbs would still be considered low carb...it's not keto, but it's low carb.
  • LadyElby
    LadyElby Posts: 151 Member
    Options

I had done a bunch of research on Low Carb when I first heard about it, and thought, "what the heck, I'll give it a shot!" Also, I suffer from PCOS and had read many places that low carb can help women with that because we tend to be insulin resistant. Anyway, I guess I found that I really don't want to do it anymore :D I'm ready to go back to counting calories - but I do see the benefit in cutting 'down' on carbs - the bad ones at least.

So I guess my question is, how do I configure my macros? I'm not exactly sure what my fat and protein ratio should be... I let MFP reset my macros based on my lifestyle, but it put my carbs at 50% and I just feel like that's way too high. Help!?
  • LadyElby
    Options
    cwolfman13 - Thanks for clearing that up for me! I've done a bunch of reading about weightloss, but for some reason, I have a hard time grasping a lot of it. I definitely understand the idea of calories in vs calories out. I guess I just don't really understand how to figure out the proper numbers for me.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    LadyElby wrote: »

I had done a bunch of research on Low Carb when I first heard about it, and thought, "what the heck, I'll give it a shot!" Also, I suffer from PCOS and had read many places that low carb can help women with that because we tend to be insulin resistant. Anyway, I guess I found that I really don't want to do it anymore :D I'm ready to go back to counting calories - but I do see the benefit in cutting 'down' on carbs - the bad ones at least.

So I guess my question is, how do I configure my macros? I'm not exactly sure what my fat and protein ratio should be... I let MFP reset my macros based on my lifestyle, but it put my carbs at 50% and I just feel like that's way too high. Help!?

Since you are used to a more low carb and want to stay that way for the most part, maybe just try to step it up gradually. Start with a 20% carb intake and see how you feel. If you want more wiggle room you can increase from there.
  • LadyElby
    Options
    Thanks ryry62685. I was kind of thinking I'd do something like that... But then, my question becomes, what should my fat and protein numbers look like?

I think my problem is that with Low Carb, you focus so much on getting in high fat, and a good amount of protein to balance things out, that now, I'm all thrown off! I know I'm probably making this more complicated than it needs to be, I just feel like I have no idea what I'm doing anymore!
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Could you look into some of the low-carber groups on MFP? I heard they like to give advice.
  • LadyElby
    Options
    I will look into that, thanks! I'm part of about a dozen facebook low carb groups, and they do give great advice! Most of the time, however, they frown upon and can get nasty when anyone posts about upping their carbs higher than 20 or 30.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

there is definitely a benefit to making better choices in RE to the types of carbohydrates that are eaten. not that i never have "junk food", but most of my choices for carbohydrates are things like oats, legumes, lentils, brown rice, quinoa, skin on potatoes, veggies, fruit, etc...all of these things also have a lot of fiber and other micro-nutrients and these types of carbohydrates tend to have a lower GL.

when i was losing weight i found a ratio of 40c/30p/30f to work pretty well for me in RE to losing weight as well as my blood work. it's also known as the "zone" or zone diet. i can't use that ratio in maintenance though as it provides for an excessive amount of protein per the calories I require.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on a diet that was pretty high in carbohydrates (about 60% of my daily calories from carbohydrates). It worked for me because carbohydrates help drive my satiety and energy. It's certainly possible.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    There's some benefit to getting up to .65-.85 g of protein per lb of healthy bodyweight (use a goal weight if substantially overweight) when losing weight (to preserve muscle mass). I've also read that it can be helpful to get at least .35 g of fat/healthy bodyweight. So a good starting point might be to calculate those as minimums and then make sure you are over them and let calories determine your carbs.

For example, I'm 125, so my numbers are at least 81-106 g protein (I find protein satiating, so will make this 105), and at least 44 grams of protein. These come to 420 and 396 calories, so if I was doing 1500 calories it would leave me with up to 171 g of protein (for an overall breakdown of roughly 45% carbs, 30% protein, 25% fat). I know I tend to like eating more like 30% fat, so when I'm trying to lose I do 40-30-30 (40% carbs).

But since it's calories that matter, not carbs, if you want to take a simpler approach I'd focus on just eating a healthy diet and what you find satiating, and perhaps getting the minimum protein amount (I think getting minimum fiber can be helpful too, and also tends to mean more of your carbs are from fruits, veg, legumes, and whole grains and less from highly refined flour/sugar items).
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I was generally around 45% carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat when I was dropping weight...If I was +/-5% on any given day within those goals it was close enough for me.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I used to low carb way back in the day and like you, I just couldn't find it sustainable because there were some things I just liked too much to live without forever like beans and oatmeal.

I'm also short like you. When I first started on here, I was eating around 100g of carbs a day, and eating around 1200 calories. I was eating all those carbs you mentioned... whole grains, sweet and white potatoes, etc and plenty of non-starchy veggies and berries. I also ate some sugar too! A small serving of ice cream, or a cookie or two.

I lost weight just fine. From looking at your picture, I'd guess I'm considerably older than you too.

Since that time, I've really upped my activity level. When I started running, I really got hungry, and nothing satisfied my hunger like carbs did. I've upped my carb count from what I used to eat when I first started dieting, but can still lose weight.

Overall, what I'm trying to say is that my experience is that calories will matter the most. Your mix of carbs, protein, and fat will come down to what keeps you from feeling hungry.

Carb intake is a discretionary thing (even though veggie intake is good for micronutrition), but protein and fat intake are both important minimums to hit. For protein, aim to get at least .65g per pound of body weight a day, and for fat aim to get at least .35 g per pound of body weight.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, I have heard 40%/30%/30% suggested many times here, and that's where I started. I adjusted it a little over time as I have learned what worked for me. I can't do low carb - i get bad headaches and have low energy when I try. I focus on hitting my protein number every day, and when I do, my carbs and fat seem to fall pretty much in line. I think now I'm set at 50% carbs, 25% pr, 25% fat. It's mostly a case of giving it time and playing with it until you find the level that keeps you at your calorie goal and feeling good. Ultimately, hitting your calorie number is the most important things for losing weight, finding the right macro balance may make that easier. Good luck!
  • LadyElby
    Options
    Thank you all so very very much!!! Reading what has worked for everyone has helped me feel a lot more confident in switching back to counting calories. I am so ready to change it up, and get back to losing weight, and feeling good! I will be sending you all friend requests (or please feel free to send me one), I hope that we can continue to help each other in our weight loss/maintenance journeys!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm on a lowish carb diet. My macros % are set at 25/55/20 carbs/fat/protein. Suits me perfectly
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I am on high carb and did fine. ( around 300g a day or higher)

Its all about calories in versus calories out.

95069916.png
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Thanks ryry62685. I was kind of thinking I'd do something like that... But then, my question becomes, what should my fat and protein numbers look like?

I think my problem is that with Low Carb, you focus so much on getting in high fat, and a good amount of protein to balance things out, that now, I'm all thrown off! I know I'm probably making this more complicated than it needs to be, I just feel like I have no idea what I'm doing anymore!

For the most part you want to keep your protein constant and you would be decreasing your fat as you increased carbs.

My personal opinion is your protein goal should be somewhere between .6-1.0 grams per lb of goal weight.