Pegan / paleo vegan

Options
13»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    mellowadam wrote: »
    ...This is really stupid. By adding grains he's essentially debunking all the science the paleo camp clings to and by adding meat he's missing the whole ethical point of veganism....

Yeah, but he sells plenty of books, "detox programs" etc. and makes lots of money - and that's really all the diet/nutrition industry is about. 99.9% of the industry is scams designed to do nothing more than fleece desperate people out of their money.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Yeah, but he sells plenty of books, "detox programs" etc. and makes lots of money - and that's really all the diet/nutrition industry is about. 99.9% of the industry is scams designed to do nothing more than fleece desperate people out of their money.

^ So much this.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    At some point they're gonna have to start classifying some of these extremely restrictive avoidance diets as a form of eating disorder.

ETA: Yep, they already do: http://eatingdisorder.org/eating-disorder-information/avoidantrestrictive-food-intake-disorder-arfid/

Quoted for relevance.
  • stephanie20314
    stephanie20314 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    So almonds and carrot sticks? That's the black swan diet.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I just.... what is even left to eat when you combine those two? I'm vegan and well educated about it... but applying paleo guidelines would leave me next to nothing to eat.

Just confused am I.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Well I was leaning toward becoming vegan and curious about blending it with paleo as I know there are paleo vegetarians. I now know fully what a vegan is and entails and as well a paleo vegetarian. I think a modified paleo veg and low fodmaps beans and quinoa. I don't know if I fit in the low to no fruit on the paleo end but I want to try something as natural as possible. I have cut back on meats and wheat products soy and dairy and I feel less miserable! Yeah☺️. My goal is to feel healthy and be healthy.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Who says you've got lactose/wheat/soy issues?

???
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    My dr. Said I should follow a diet avoiding phytoestrogenic foods and bc I have ibs I found that wheat, meat and lactose in certain amounts are triggering to my ibs. I was advised by my gi to eat lowfodmaps for that issue. The dairy doesn't bother me too bad if it's fermented like yogurt or kefir but I found I feel better off it. My Gyn suggests no soy as its phytoestrogenic.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    "pegan" is just the name dr Hyman gave to his diet.

LOL, I didn't realize that.

Silly name, but OP if you want to try Hyman, just do Hyman and don't worry about paleo or vegan (which as janejellyroll says is about ethics).

So if you've used Hyman, you might find yourself having to Pegan? Sounds like standard advice.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    "pegan" is just the name dr Hyman gave to his diet.

LOL, I didn't realize that.

Silly name, but OP if you want to try Hyman, just do Hyman and don't worry about paleo or vegan (which as janejellyroll says is about ethics).

So if you've used Hyman, you might find yourself having to Pegan? Sounds like standard advice.

It's only good sense!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've heard of this diet.. You live on sunshine and air. I hear it works well for organisms capable of photosynthesis. For any creatures that need nutrients through diet, not so much.