How to replace bread

Options
Hi I'm reem, just started using this app . How can I replace bread

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I eat WASA crispbread - sourdough ones @40 calories each - I can eat 4 for 160 calories, that can work out to be one slice of bread. I find them very filling and ease my need for bread which is my best friend and my worst enemy.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    a47k559sjsh4.jpeg

This stuff, does not have flour in it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sandwich thins if you're looking for less calories.
  • PinkCuddleMonster
    PinkCuddleMonster Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »
    a47k559sjsh4.jpeg

Where do you buy this?
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes, Whole Foods & Food Lion have it but in the frozen section.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Rolls, baguettes, brotchen ....
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I don't really miss bread much. But on occasion when I want something sandwich-like I like tortillas--particularly thin corn tortillas
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like there's a replacement for bread. I just stopped buying it and eventually got used to it. I don't think bread is "bad" but I can't fit it into my calorie goal and stay full.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I love bread. Sandwiches every now and again are divine. I can't imagine trying to substitute, so I fit it in when I want some.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with bread? Did you just hear somewhere that's it's not good, or do you have a medically diagnosed problem with it, like an allergy?

The great thing about CICO (calories in < calories out) is that you can eat literally anything, as long as you keep a consistent calorie deficit.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to replace bread? I don't eat much of it myself, but I still make a bacon sandwich sometimes (4 slices of bacon on a slice of rye, that's a sandwich, right? ;) ). Either way, it really depends on what the intent is. I mean, if you just need a wrapper to hold sandwichy stuff, you can always use a nice leaf of lettuce, or cabbage.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Unless you have allergies like I do, there really is no reason to ditch the bread. But if you really need to, it's doable. Instead of replacing it, I usually just do without it. In no time you won't even miss it!
  • mikerisser
    mikerisser Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just eat less bread. I still eat sandwiches pretty regularly but I just eat fewer of them.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Peppridge Farm has a line of "light" bread. I really like them. They are 45 calories per slice, granted they are smaller slices than normal, but it works for me. If I want a sandwich or something I can have it but it doesn't use up too many calories that I could save for something else yummy :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    reemz1982 wrote: »
    Hi I'm reem, just started using this app . How can I replace bread

I nearly fainted when I saw your title. :*

Why do you want to replace bread? It rocks, especially my homemade bread with sunflower seeds, cranberries, flax seed, and wheat germs. You should also taste my French bread and my basic white bread. They are awesome! :)

If you like bread, then perhaps you can moderate it. If you don't like bread, just cut it out and replace it with something else you find suitable. Lots of people don't like and/or don't eat bread.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can consume a LOT of calories in bread. It can be a trigger food for some people. This should be well known to people who've been here very long. Don't tell people to eat whatever they want. It's not that simple and doesn't work that way for everyone.
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Depending on what country you live in, Weight Watchers bread is 50 calories a slice. I live in Canada, and can buy a whole grain, quinoa bread made by WW. It also lasts a long time without going moldy. I occasionally have 1 slice with 1 T (50 cal) double fruit jam for a snack. Works out to about 100 calories.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    You can consume a LOT of calories in bread. It can be a trigger food for some people. This should be well known to people who've been here very long. Don't tell people to eat whatever they want. It's not that simple and doesn't work that way for everyone.

Who are you replying to?

The OP didn't say it was a trigger food, she said she wants to replace it. It is 100% acceptable to advise she replace it with something else she likes. Or, if she likes bread, to try moderating it.

People have the right to eat whatever they want, and to say what they please. ;)

• KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

you can consume a lot of calories of ANYTHING if you eat enough of it. Like everything, it's all down to moderation and calorie control. The OP asked for replacements, which they probably wouldn't have done if it was a trigger food.

I have been on here for a while and to be honest I see more people cutting out bread and being miserable and bingeing because they're told 'carbs/bread is the devil' than almost anything else. There are very few people who have the self control to calorie control but fail with bread alone- it's usually down to lack of self control/moderation or motivation with all foods.

OP, I love my bread- 'Danish' varieties (at least that's what they're called in the UK) are about 60 cals a slice as opposed to 'normal' bread which is usually twice that. Or as someone above suggested tortillas can be a good replacement :)
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »
    a47k559sjsh4.jpeg

I really like this so when I do eat bread I eat this kind of bread.

I don't eat bread most of the time though because I find store bread to be kind of bleh tasting. I usually just eat fruit and veg with protein. Oatmeal is my breakfast staple though.

Homemade bread is a whole different story.