What are your trigger foods?

Options
I know some lucky people don't have any and can eat anything in moderation . I also know that a calorie is a calorie and we can lose weight on 1000 calories a day of Hershey bars, it's just not that good for us. What I'm talking about are the foods that cause you to binge and go over your calorie limit.

For me it's sweets. By that I mean foods containing lots of that highly refined white stuff: donuts, pie, cookies, ice-cream, cake, brownies, pudding.

If only I could eat just one cookie but after one Oreo I find myself getting a big glass of milk and "doing a line." If you know what I mean.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it's "luck" so much as much as my refusing to be under the thrall of Blue Bell Dutch Chocolate or Homemade Vanilla ice cream.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Yes sweets. But it's a mental game more than anything. Summoning the refusal @DeguelloTex mentions. And summoning it during Christmas with a bazillion treats floating around has me vexed.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    percolater wrote: »
    I know some lucky people don't have any and can eat anything in moderation . I also know that a calorie is a calorie and we can lose weight on 1000 calories a day of Hershey bars, it's just not that good for us. What I'm talking about are the foods that cause you to binge and go over your calorie limit.

For me it's sweets. By that I mean foods containing lots of that highly refined white stuff: donuts, pie, cookies, ice-cream, cake, brownies, pudding.

If only I could eat just one cookie but after one Oreo I find myself getting a big glass of milk and "doing a line." If you know what I mean.

Yes anything sweet for me - chocolate, pastries, cake, biscuits, cookies, ice cream. Can't stop once I've started so I have to not start in the first place but there's tubs of chocolates everywhere in my office right now as it's so close to Christmas, which is really testing my resolve!
  • sarkrisd
    sarkrisd Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    For me it's chips and dip. If I have dip of some kind, a bag of chips is gone before I know what I'm doing.
  • percolater
    percolater Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it's "luck" so much as much as my refusing to be under the thrall of Blue Bell Dutch Chocolate or Homemade Vanilla ice cream.

Oh I know it can be done. Many times I've gone to a party and stopped after only one small piece of cake and friends have been know to offer me a piece from their box of assorted chocolates while I've managed to stop myself from wrestling them to the floor and stealing the whole box. I just find life easier at home, if I don't deliberately put temptation in my way.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Cereal. The kind that has a lot of SUGAR added.
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Carby foods. And sugar.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Buffets of any kind haha.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Anything high calorie/low volume that I can easily get at. Which is why the Christmas baking is out on the deck (aka backup "freezer").
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    percolater wrote: »

I have a weird trigger thingy that I'm working on that involves food. I am triggered when at parties or social events and there are sweet goodies around. I think it's really less about the food and more about the social anxiety. I am working on this, though, throughout the holidays because we go to a lot of parties. I am to the point where I might avoid the sweets table at parties and actually allow myself the luxury of interacting with folks without a cookie in my hand. :)
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Cereal. The kind that has a lot of SUGAR added.

YES! Sugary kid's cereal like Cocoa Krispies or Golden Grahams will get me every time. The size of a single serving is truly laughable!!

Also Cheetos.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    For me, it's salty foods! I can say "no" to sweets all day long, but if someone opens a bag of Fritos I'm done. They are truly my kryptonite! Snyder's cheddar cheese pretzel bits are a close second - I can't have them in the house.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    Chocolate : chocolate cookies cakes ect
  • uwouldluvme2
    uwouldluvme2 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal raisin cookies or Reese cups
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds...although I wouldn't call them a trigger, just a food that I feel like I can eat non stop.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Oreo cookies, tortilla chips and parmesan spinach dip. They even changed my favorite dip so that it's not as good as it was before and I still can't stop eating it if I buy it, and I can only find it at Costco so it's a huge container.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, liquorice, veggie fruit gummy sweets.
  • kayjajace
    kayjajace Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    PASTA. Any kind of noodle dish really. Fettuccine. Spaghetti. Pastalaya. Even lo mein. And don't let me near a freshly cooked pot of Macaroni and cheese. NO CONTROL
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Ice cream and bread