Help me out a little with this...

Options
13»

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Yes I would definitely change my order! Or consider splitting the item with a friend! I just read Eat This Not That and the calorie counts of some of my old favorite foods is so sick
  • AlexandraR2011
    AlexandraR2011 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    When I was on vacation in New York I went to the starbucks and I was dying to get a low fat blueberry muffin. I get there and the thing is 400 calories! I thought twice and got a banana :) So yes I would get something different and healthier if I knew the calorie count.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I'd love it if I could find the calorie information for a restaurant that easily!! And I would also like to see the sodium and sugar count listed as well!
  • JulieSmiles1
    JulieSmiles1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think it should be a law everywhere! This is a great idea! I would definitely think twice and order a better option. I may not always pick the lowest calorie option, but I would pick something that was healthier, especially now that I understand calories. I think even before I started MFP, I would have still chosen something different since I know an average day's calories should be around 2000 calories. Great topic for you to choose!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I wish all restaurants did this! It would save so much time and would be so nice to just be able to go out to eat and be able to make an informed decision there instead of having to do research beforehand.

Some days I do wish this... But, I'd never EVER be able to enjoy a meal again if I was staring at the calories posted on a menu. I do that enough with MFP and on the web. I'd never be able to have a "cheat" meal again.... but, then again, it's already getting that way for me lately. I cried in the bathroom for fifteen minutes after ordering a cheat meal at Applebee's the other day.

Still... It's a good idea and it would have been an AMAZING idea a few months ago... But these days, it'd probably stress me out to the point of not eating again.

Oh, IHOP posts the kids meal and freshandfit caloric info right on the menu!
  • mialsya
    mialsya Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Just a note. I've done a lot of projects like this. Make sure you have a large sample size and that you are not just taking information from people that are actively trying to lose weight. I guarantee you my boyfriends answers would be WAY different since I have epic failed at getting him to give a crap about calorie consumption.

Since this is a project for a class, we don't have to have a huge sample population but it does have to be randomized. I'm going to shoot for as large as I can reasonably analyze in the short amount of time I have in this class (it's an 8 week class and 6 weeks is spent on the project).
  • bonnymom
    bonnymom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yes, if the calorie count was on the menu I would 95% downgrade - now or before.
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm tracking calories, YES, however before my lifestyle change, NO. The calories being posted would have meant nothing to me.

I posted this same question on Facebook and the only friend that has undergone a huge weight loss was the only one to mimic this response. The rest are pretty much saying it wouldn't matter to them. Hmmm...

That's interesting.... :happy:
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    If I saw the calories posted it would definitely influence my choices on what I order. Although I know when I go to mcdonalds and getting a big mac that I'm about to eat 1000s of calories but since its not posted I don't think twice about it. I would definitely look for alternatives if the opportunity was right there, but usually people don't look ahead online when going to mcdonalds (I have a few times) but usually its just like.. "yeah, I'll get whatever sounds good"
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    That's a good question. I eat in fast food restaurants pretty much every day and, because I'm a compulsive reader, I always read the menu board while waiting for my food. I always want to ask if people still order those whoppers or footlong meatball sandwiches after seeing how many calories are in them but never do.

To answer the question, seeing the calories on the menu board would totally influence my ordering decisions! I'm not sure it would be out of guilt or shame or anything like that tho. It would be more out of "holy hell! The chicken ranch sandwich (or whatever it's called) from Carl's Jr is THAT many calories!" <----I used to eat that all the time so that was pretty much my reaction when I finally started counting calories.

I'm a creature of habit and order the same thing in the same restaurants I go to so that's not really an issue anymore.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I would NEVER be able to order something with that many calories! It would definitely change my mind about what's for dinner.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I would change. I knowing the numbers to make better decisions.
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    I'm surprised people on facebook said it wouldn't matter....because i would thing regardless of whether you're trying to lose weight or not, if you had a 2000 calorie meal staring you in the face, it would scare anyone! I know it would definitely make me terrified! Maybe they were embarrassed to admit it on there? Or maybe they just really wouldn't care haha
  • scubacat
    scubacat Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If I knew the nutritional information, it would definately change the way I order. I wish that all restaurants did this. I usually try to check the nutritional info online before I go or use the MFP app on my phone but its not always in the database. For this reason, I dont eat out as mush as I used to because I HAVE to know the stats on all my meals