Obliques

Hey guys and girls!

I'm quite a experienced fitness guy . I have tried many exercise for my obliques I. E Russian twists . Side planks . Bicycle crunch . But none seem to make much impact or effects . Any found any good tips or exercises?

Thanks

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    hanging knee or leg raises, to the side. that always gets me. Or any kind of side plank/crunch with your feet in the TRX is brutal. I also do oblique and ab stuff with heavy weights , on the GHR machine thing.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    I like side bends. Just hold a weight down by your side. Bend to that side. Bend back up. (Or you could hold a weight on each side and go back and forth.) Have I seen results? No, but I don't do them consistently. My obliques feel sore every time though, so I think something must be happening.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    I like side sit ups and I try to hold it up at the high point for just a second. I do them all. Have noticed some good response. I like to cross my ankles and hold my feet up in a "V" with weighted Russian twists. Not sure if you hold your feet up or keep them on the floor.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    simonr944 wrote: »
    I have tried many exercise for my obliques I. E Russian twists . Side planks . Bicycle crunch . But none seem to make much impact or effects .

What kind of effects are you trying for?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    edited December 2015
    Chest isolations drills in belly dance, lol. Easy to do weighted as well. You might want to do those in private, though, unless you have massive self-confidence ;) Those generally need to be weighted to build, but they show up in the obliques just by doing them consistently. (I try to build mine because you can see my ribs too much for my taste).

I didn't notice oblique crunches working until I went very slowly and held at the top. And I have to fully concentrate on trying to use just the obliques to do each one. Those show up on me quickly done that way (but I can't figure out how to progress the weight on it).
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Side planks, single arm/single leg work, single arm farmers walks, any of the various cable rotations.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Side bends with heavy weights have always had my obliques screaming, especially with high rep ranges. I don't do directed oblique exercises because my obliques respond very well to direct work. Hanging side leg raises and kneeling cable crossovers or standing cable crossovers are great too. Not trying to look too blocky or have massive obliques so I just get oblique work as a subsidiary of my other exercises (deadlift for example).
  • BonyCastro
    BonyCastro Posts: 110 Member
    Hey guys and girls!

I'm quite a experienced fitness guy . I have tried many exercise for my obliques I. E Russian twists . Side planks . Bicycle crunch . But none seem to make much impact or effects . Any found any good tips or exercises?

Thanks
    Try woodshopper!
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    BonyCastro wrote: »
    Hey guys and girls!

Thanks
    Try woodshopper!

You mean woodchoppers?
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Side planks
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Side planks, single arm/single leg work, single arm farmers walks, any of the various cable rotations.

I totally agree-- I put one 45 lb plate on one side nothing on the other of a barbell and flat bench it for 15 reps then put the 45 on the other side and do the same.. You will hurt for days!!!