What book are you reading?

Options

Replies

• annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    Depends on what you like :-)

For a historical detective one, there's 'Suspicions of mr Whicher: or the murder at Road Hill House' by Kate Summerscale. Interesting account of a Victorian murder-mystery & the early detectives.

I read more or less anything... :-)
    I am going to have to check out the hystorical detective books you mentioned.

Hope you enjoy it - it was very interesting from a social perspective as well as how the early detectives worked :)
  • teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Game of Thrones is AMAZING! Just finished book 1!!
  • micklepickle61
    Options
    Twenty Years After by Alexandre Dumas. It is the sequel to The Three Musketeers. Highly recommend it.

Mike
  • rhutchinson88
    Options
    I'm currently reading the second of Russell Brands books. And just because they were mentioned, I'm a huge fan of the Ellen Hopkins books... Also anything Tolkien.
  • ladeb
    ladeb Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I read about 100 books/year. Here are some I have liked thus far in2011:
    The Postmistress by Sarah Blake
    The Charm School by Nelson DeMille
    Austenland by Shannon Hale
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
    Sheepfarmer’s Daughter by Elizabeth Moon
    The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb
    Vermilion Drift by William Kent Krueger
    It’s All Too Much by Peter Walsh (NF)

Can't wait to check into a few listed here!
  • Carol_s
    Carol_s Posts: 73
    Options
    Great recommendations, thanks everyone. I've already added some to my list :smile:
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I'm reading The Long Walk right now, (Stephen King)
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffett

It's a fiction novel but it is the most feel good, laugh out loud, wishing I was there, novel I've read in a lonnnnggg time.
  • Lovelystrumpet
    Options
    The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams - all 4 in the series.

I'm a complete Sci-Fi/fantasy/comic book geek, and this is one of my all time favourites. Read them all 3 times now :glasses:
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting a new book called "The SIngle Mother's Guide to Raising Remarkable Boys." Pretty clear why I'm reading it :) It's not bad so far, execept the stats are outdated. Obama was listed as one of the remarkable men from single mother homes, but as a senator. We'll see if there is any useful advice in here .
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    The Secret. Oldie but a goodie.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read any good mystery type books recently? I enjoyed the Dan Brown books.

The Maisie Dobbs series is Mystery it is set in England between the 2 wars. My neice stumbled onto the series and all of in the family are hooked.
  • jpierce8806
    Options
    Absolutely. Make sure you read them in order or they may not make sense :) They were MARVELOUS!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    No Second Chance by Harlan Coben
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Just picked up Dog Sense:How the New Science of Dog Behavior Can Make You A Better Friend to Your Pet by Dr. John Bradshaw.

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Sense-Science-Behavior-Better/dp/0465019447
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares. I'm loving it so far, it's a well-written, creative, well-thought-out love story.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Yay! I am reading A Lesson in Secrets #8 of the Maisie Dobbs Series by Jacqueline Winspear now. I love books but my brother the early adopter got me and my sister nooks for our birthdays. Well he organized our families to get them anyway, since we all share books with each other. So this is my first eBook. Yes start with the 1st of the series. Maisie Bobbs. Mysteries set in post WWI England. But not written then. Summer has begun.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    well I read all the time My Kindle is on all day long , If I cant read it I listen to it lol... I am reading the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost right now and its pretty good...
    The Sookie Stackhouse books are excellent.
    and if you like those you may also like the Anita Blake series by Laurell K Hamilton. some of the books are kinda graphic but they story line is awesome! One my favorite series.
    Keri Authors--- Riley Jensen Guardian series is really good
    Patricia Briggs-- Mercy Thompson series is one of my favorites!
    Carrie Vaughn--- Kitty and the midnight hour series is good too...
    Lori Hendeland-- night creatures series is also a good one.
    As you can tell I read alot of the silly shapeshifter / vampire romance series silly stuff but very entertaining..

Serious books I love to read are
    anything by Max Lucado
    Made to Crave-- Lysa TerKeurst
    Heaven is for real - A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip --- AWESOME book!!!
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Noah's Flood: The New Scientific Discoveries About the Event that Changed History by William Ryan and Walter Pitman, published in 1999.

Pretty fascinating reading for history buffs, mythology aficionados, and armchair geologists.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading Tess Gerritsen's "Harvest" (medical drama) and it's pretty good so far. I've also enjoyed her Rizolli & Isles series and the sci-fi/medical book called "Gravity".

I'm also listening to (long commute, hate listening to the radio anymore) "The Night Season" by Chelsea Cain. It's technically part of a series but definitely deviates from the first three novels, still a really good story. Her first three were "Evil at Heart", "Sweetheart" and "Heart Sick"- very twisted but very good books.

Thinking about listening to "Breaking Dawn" by Stephanie Meyer next - have already read the 1st 3 books.