Breakfast as soon as you wake up?

Options

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Thank you ...I had heard that somewhere before and you've confirmed it for me.

Well sorry to break it to you, people usually get inaccurate facts out of fitness magazines or some other form of inaccurate media. Eating in the morning, takes energy away from your body by digesting, it slows you down, eating triggers the parasympathetic which slows down the body. How do most people feel after a huge meal? tired, lethargic... etc. Yes it's not as severe with a smaller meal, but that doesn't mean the parasympathetic nervous system isn't triggered. Eating increases insulin which can store bodyfat, this is what you want to do first thing in the morning?. The opposite of eating is not eating. If you don't eat, this will trigger the sympathetic nevous system, which releases adrenaline which will keep you alert an energetic.
    Plus not eating lowers insulin levels which will release glucagon which is a fat liberating hormone, it releases fat from the body. On top of this, growth hormone is also released, which burns a lot of fat, and helps preserve muscle tissue.

Someone said "eating speeds up your metabolism?" Depends, if you eat "more calories" yes it does... But if you eat 1 meal at 2000 calories, or 10 meals at 200 calories, it has no effect on your metabolism in terms of speeding it up.

below are scientific studies to support what I have said.
    breakfast slows down oxidation
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10967612

fasting longer than 6hrs increses fat oxidation,
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15212756

fasting burns 5 times more fat.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12051710

gherlin triggers Growth Hormone
    http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/293/3/E819.full

So wait, you're saying, uh, never eat?
    cool.
  • chizzledfrmstone
    Options
    It's almost impossible for me to eat right when I wake up but I practically force myself to. The biggest reason for me is because I always have in the back of my head that Cortisol is at it's highest level in the morning when you wake up. I always try to have a huge protein meal or at least a protein shake.

figure1.jpg
  • HazelAngelstar
    Options
    i'm another one who hate to eat when i first wake up .... unfortunately i'm on medication where I need to eat - so i now have banana first thing - then often it will be lunchtime or later before I feel like eating anything again.

i dont eat at regular times either, most days i eat when i'm hungry - and often dont have my last meal until late evening. xxx
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    "most important meal of the day"

I eat within 15mins of waking up....
    never use to and I fell lot better when I get something in me. Not to mentiion my alarm clock is hunger..
    but again, I hit the gym in the AM most of the time also...
    usually 500cals in the am ...
  • melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have always believed it best to eat first thing to kick start your metabolism. This is why I am hungry by 9am and my friends who don't eat breakfast aren't hungry until lunch time.

I think I have experienced this - On both sides!!

I never used to eat breakfast, but in recent years I have started eating it, because it's what me and my son do first thing in the morning together, but I honestly think it makes me hungrier throughout the day.
    I have tried to postpone breakfast now until at least 10 am because if I eat at 8am with my son I am hungry again at 9am when I have taken him to school, and that seems to carry on throughout the day. I can't break the pattern unless I leave breakfast til later in the day.
    We eat cereal for breakfast, I LOVE it but I am so sure it's stopping me losing weight.
    I have cut out breakfast and not eaten anything until at least 10 am and the weight has started to come off again, I feel that I am less hungry throughout the day and I'm so much more in control of what I eat, rather than craving sugary carbs.
    I can still eat cereal at 10am or later and not be hungry for the rest of the day, I honestly believe having those first few hours without food helps me lose weight, not the other way round!!

I would like to say also that I am in the 'healthy' weight range, middle of healthy actually and weight loss at this level is really tough, it might be different for those who have a lot to lose, but for me and others I know in a similar situation there seems to be some pattern here.

I think also the food you eat at breakfast will effect your metabolism, so if you eat grapefruit and coffee at breakfast this WILL aid your metabolism, but sugary cereal might not.
    Purely based on the effects these foods have on the body and how the body is forced to process them.

Be interesting to see if anyone can produce any solid facts on this subject to support a theory, this is my person experience only.

Either way good luck!!! :drinker:
  • monica2410
    monica2410 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm also interested in reading solid facts Mel because this is my experience also. I don't feel hungry when I get up so eat breakfast around 9 at my desk but when I did force myself to eat it I ended up eating more during the day.
  • MelsDiet
    MelsDiet Posts: 69
    Options
    Im the same, If I eat as soon as I get up I feel terribly hungry all day. I know that it goes against what we're told to do but Ive had to change my eating times so that i dont eat all day every day. I have breakfast at about 10.30/11am, lunch is at 3.30pm and dinner is at 8/9pm. I then go to bed at 11/12pm. However I don't feel the need to snack all day I just have my 3 meals and maybe a snack or 2 if Ive been working out hard to keep my calories up.
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    A waking up I take a shower, wake my children and we all have breakfast together at the table.
    I do it more for them than for me to be honest, I could easily wait until I'm in the office (like I used to do), but I want to make sure they have a healthy breakfast as part of their daily routine.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Meal timing, size, and frequency are largely irrelevant in the context of proper daily nutrition and offer no metabolic advantages. It does not change your total daily expenditure.
  • cammons
    cammons Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You don't want to know me if I haven't had something to eat within an hour of getting up....Grumpypants does not even begin to do the mood justice.

Part of me sometimes wonders if the eating within X amount of time after waking is a tried and true metabolism thing or just a good rule to make sure that you eat something in the morning so that you don't eat the entire neighborhood and your steering wheel trying to get food at lunchtime. I know that eating as soon as I can in the morning helps me make better food decisions all day.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I can't stomach any food unless I've been awake for at least an hour.

Same here--my stomach is temperamental-- If I eat too early I get sick- If I eat too late, I get sick. I usually eat something within an hour to an hour and a half of waking up
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

cool.

No.

He is saying that WHEN you eat DOES NOT MATTER in terms of weight loss.

Eating breakfast does not "speed up" your metabolism, or get it "jump started". Calories at the end of the day are what matter, not when you eat them.

Fasting does not imply never eating. I fast every single day. I stop eating at 8pm and don't eat again until noon. That's 16 hours.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Thank you ...I had heard that somewhere before and you've confirmed it for me.

Well sorry to break it to you, people usually get inaccurate facts out of fitness magazines or some other form of inaccurate media. Eating in the morning, takes energy away from your body by digesting, it slows you down, eating triggers the parasympathetic which slows down the body. How do most people feel after a huge meal? tired, lethargic... etc. Yes it's not as severe with a smaller meal, but that doesn't mean the parasympathetic nervous system isn't triggered. Eating increases insulin which can store bodyfat, this is what you want to do first thing in the morning?. The opposite of eating is not eating. If you don't eat, this will trigger the sympathetic nevous system, which releases adrenaline which will keep you alert an energetic.
    Plus not eating lowers insulin levels which will release glucagon which is a fat liberating hormone, it releases fat from the body. On top of this, growth hormone is also released, which burns a lot of fat, and helps preserve muscle tissue.

Someone said "eating speeds up your metabolism?" Depends, if you eat "more calories" yes it does... But if you eat 1 meal at 2000 calories, or 10 meals at 200 calories, it has no effect on your metabolism in terms of speeding it up.

below are scientific studies to support what I have said.
    breakfast slows down oxidation
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10967612

fasting longer than 6hrs increses fat oxidation,
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15212756

fasting burns 5 times more fat.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12051710

gherlin triggers Growth Hormone
    http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/293/3/E819.full

cool.

Ask yourself this mind boggling question. "Is it possible to eat without eating breakfast?"
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    It's almost impossible for me to eat right when I wake up but I practically force myself to. The biggest reason for me is because I always have in the back of my head that Cortisol is at it's highest level in the morning when you wake up. I always try to have a huge protein meal or at least a protein shake.

figure1.jpg

I don't know for sure, but I'd assume GH will preserve the muscle growth against the cortisol. I think the issue with the parasympathetic nervous system is about carbs. I think with a protein shake, it won't trigger it. On the other side of the coin, does eating reduce cortisol levels? I don't know any studies that say that, and I never looked, there might be, there may not be. Maybe it makes no difference in terms of cortisol if you eat or not eat, i don't know.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what the "right" answer is, but if I work out in the morning (which I am not very good at) I eat after--I read somewhere that you burn more fat that way plus exercising on a full stomache makes me queasy. And if I don't not until I have drank my coffee, I take the train so I probably eat about an hour after I wake up.
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    Whether the science being quoted in this thread is right or not, I think it misses a much bigger point. Being satiated matters more than pretty much another factor on keeping you on a program. How would you rather spend the day, hungry most of the day and load up at dinner, or be satiated throughout the day?

My own experience is that I have not have the best success with a good breakfast as soon as I get out of the shower. If I wake up I am not hungry that is general been because I ate too big of a dinner. Personally, I think eating more at breakfast and lunch is better strategy because of satiation levels throughout the day and it gives you more time to correct your calorie intake if it is too low or too high.

I think people forget that half of weight control is mental and keeping yourself satiated, longer term, is very important.
  • mrsmorris13
    mrsmorris13 Posts: 225
    Options
    It's amazing how many different scientifically proven facts contradict eachother. It's annoying and confusing.
    I wake up about 630...coffee and a snack(kashi bar, protein shake, peanut butter toast...), then gym. Come home from the gym and have a high protein breakfast (protein shake, eggs and spinach, oatmeal with protein powder...)

I FEEL best this way. Right or wrong. My husband knows that if I don't eat within 30-40 min of waking up.....WATCH OUT! I get hungry and a lil grumpy:grumble: lol.
  • chizzledfrmstone
    Options

cool.

No.

He is saying that WHEN you eat DOES NOT MATTER in terms of weight loss.

Eating breakfast does not "speed up" your metabolism, or get it "jump started". Calories at the end of the day are what matter, not when you eat them.

Fasting does not imply never eating. I fast every single day. I stop eating at 8pm and don't eat again until noon. That's 16 hours.

I'm sure she was being facetious.

Not many people know about Intermittent Fasting on this site.

figure1.jpg

I don't know for sure, but I'd assume GH will preserve the muscle growth against the cortisol. I think the issue with the parasympathetic nervous system is about carbs. I think with a protein shake, it won't trigger it. On the other side of the coin, does eating reduce cortisol levels? I don't know any studies that say that, and I never looked, there might be, there may not be. Maybe it makes no difference in terms of cortisol if you eat or not eat, i don't know.

Ever see the effects of increased GH over Cortisol? Take a stressed person who has been fasting for a long duration and I'm sure you will see centripetal obesity and moon face symptoms over acromegaly. You're giving the rise in GH more credit than it deserves.

Insulin Secretion and PNS activation are related. Proteins are slightly insulinogenic because some amino acids can go through gluconeogenesis.

Cortisol is a glucocorticoid stress hormone. It follows the circadian rhythm for a reason... yes, eating will reduce Cortisol (if that's what caused the rise in cortisol in the first place).
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Exactly, it should always come down to personal preference and convenience. My hunger is CONTROLLED by NOT eating breakfast, eating a modest lunch and then eating a very large dinner.

In regards to cortisol, taken from the LG website:

8. Myth: Fasting increases cortisol.

Truth

Cortisol is a steroid hormone that maintains blood pressure, regulates the immune system and helps break down proteins, glucose and lipids. It's a hormone that's gotten quite a bad rep in the fitness and health community but we have it for a reason. The morning peak in cortisol makes us get out of bed and get going. A blunted morning cortisol peak is associated with lethargy and depression. Cortisol is elevated during exercise, which helps mobilize fats, increase performance and experience euphoria after and during workouts. Trying to suppress acute elevations of cortisol during exercise, or the normal diurnal rhythm, is foolish. Chronically elevated levels of cortisol, resulting from psychological and/or physiological stress, is another thing and unquestionably bad for your health; it increases protein breakdown, appetite and may lead to depression.

Short-term fasting has no effect on average cortisol levels and this is an area that has been extensively studied in the context of Ramadan fasting. Cortisol typically follows a diurnal variation, which means that its levels peak in the morning at around 8 a.m. and decline in the evenings. What changes during Ramadan is simply the cortisol rhythm, average levels across 24 hours remain unchanged.

In one Ramadan study on rugby players, subjects lost fat and retained muscle very well. And they did despite training in a dehydrated state, without pre-workout or post-workout protein intake, and with a lower protein intake overall nonetheless. Quoting directly from the paper:

"Body mass decreased significantly and progressively over the 4-week period; fat was lost, but lean tissue was conserved..."

"...Plasma urea concentrations actually decreased during Ramadan, supporting the view that there was no increase of endogenous protein metabolism to compensate for the decreased protein intake."

In one study on intermittent fasting, the fasting group even saw "significant decrease in concentrations of cortisol." However, this study should be taken with a grain of salt as it had some flaws in study design.

In conclusion, the belief that fasting increases cortisol, which then might cause all kinds of mischief such as muscle loss, has no scientific basis whatsoever.

Origin

Prolonged fasting or severe calorie restriction causes elevated baseline levels of cortisol. This occurs in conjunction with depletion of liver glycogen, as cortisol speeds up DNG, which is necessary to maintain blood sugar in absence of dietary carbs, protein, or stored glycogen. Again, it seems someone looked at what happens during starvation and took that to mean that short-term fasting is bad.
  • chizzledfrmstone
    Options
    If you're referring to me then I never said short-term fasting is bad. I've done IF with good results knowing cortisol wouldn't be and issue.

As for the breakfast issue looks I was wrong about the morning spike in Cortisol being lowered by eating. Learn something new everyday...