Sports Bras. Worst thing in the world to shop for.

Options
My sad, depressed sports bra from high school has finally gave up on life and died a spectacular death. Yes my bra size has stayed the same that long, as I gain all my weight in the tummy and thighs! Pear shaped, yes, I am.

I am ~32 or 34C bra size. I hate over-the-head ones- I feel claustrophobic getting them on and off. I need a tight bra as my boobs are super droopy (thanks kids!) so it is hard to get them on/off if they don't have hooks or a zipper or something.

I really don't want to buy a super expensive one. Sadly I did not like any of the ones I tried on at Dicks and Target.

This is mostly a vent but I am open to any other moderately-priced sports bra suggestions. I find sports bras harder because they usually come in S/M/L and not specific band and cup sizes.

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I like the ones at Victoria's Secret. They are varying levels of support, different styles, and come in band/cup sizing. They aren't the cheapest, but there are constantly coupons for either bras or sportswear from them.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I get most of mine from Marshalls or TJ Maxx. They have some great brands for pretty reasonable price. I don't mind the over the head kind personally, but I know they have the others too.
  • TrishaCisneros
    TrishaCisneros Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I really like the VS ones but I am looking into buying one from SheFit
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I've bought three moving comfort Fiona bras from Amazon. They've been great since the straps as adjustable and they have three sets of hooks. And since its Amazon you can read reviews. That's where I went when title nine stopped making their one I liked and I struck out with some of their other brands
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I may try the VS ones, then. I have the hardest time finding one that is my size, but if they're SML, it doesn't work since I have a small band and large cup size (32DDD)...it's either too big or my boobs are squeezed to death.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    My prime criteria is that a sports bra be 100% cotton and have a racer back, and so I shop at Decent Exposures. They are super comfortable.

They do have studier fabrics for more support.

They will customize - I get my straps longer than standard. I don't think they charge for that (but I did have to pay shipping to send it back for alterations the first time. Now I just order it like that.)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Depends on your definition of moderate-but I find Moving Comfort bras to be really effective in the $50 price range.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I need a high support sports bra and they are hard to find for a reasonable price. I have one from Under Armour that I got on sale that I love. Old Navy also recently came out with a maximum support sports bra, and I really like mine. Both these bras have hooks at the back and come in real bra sizes, not S/M/L.

The Under Armour one is regular $60 US, and I think I got lucky because they don't go on sale too often. The Old Navy ones are $30 regular, but (like everything at ON) go on sale frequently.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    I like the ones at Victoria's Secret. They are varying levels of support, different styles, and come in band/cup sizing. They aren't the cheapest, but there are constantly coupons for either bras or sportswear from them.

Ditto! VS has a great variety, they are made well and have sales often.

Although, my version of this thread title would be: Sports bras. Worst things in the world to take on and off.
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    suzan06 wrote: »

I am ~32 or 34C bra size. I hate over-the-head ones- I feel claustrophobic getting them on and off. I need a tight bra as my boobs are super droopy (thanks kids!) so it is hard to get them on/off if they don't have hooks or a zipper or something.

Yeah, I tried one of those over-the-head things, and got stuck. I felt like a puppy chasing its tail, running in to walls & stuff. Fortunately, hubby heard the commotion, and rescued me.

I like the C9 ones by Champion, and they are on sale right now. I usually get mine from the Hanes website.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    http://enell.com/ is on my wish list.

My niece had a frank conversation with me about our mutual desire for a supportive sports bra, and she swears by the zip front. The best she's found lately are at Victoria's Secret.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Moving Comfort are nice. Yes, they generally cost a bit more but I usually find them on sierratradingpost.com for lower prices. They are not the over-the-head kind so that's another plus.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I like the full cotton ones, found two different styles in cotton on amazon.uk! they havent arrived yet, I'll come back and let you know if they are good.
  • murph155
    murph155 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've tried loads of them and have the same problem as you, Queenmunchy - 36DD - so the S/M/L's don't fit right. I bought the Glamorise Double Layer Custom Control on Amazon (4 stars and over 2K reviews) and it comes in real bra sizes (took my regular size) and it really does the trick.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i love champion brand. they have hook type and zipperfront last i looked
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I've worn Shock Absorber sports bras for years; I find them adjustable, great suppirt, great fir. I'm in UK, they are around £26-30 when not on sale. I hand wash them & find they will last a long time.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Since the OP doesn't like the style she won't be interested, but I adore the one made by Handful. I hate, hate, hate, show-through. Go ahead can call it a hang-up - that's how much I hate it. I love Handful's offering so much since it eliminates the problem completely, along with there being zero bounce when I run at an alleged now-36D, it is the only bra I wear.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Shock Absorber. Yes, they're a bit pricier than you said you wanted to spend, but if you find them on sale, they're great value and they last a LONG time. Good range of sizes, too.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    http://enell.com/ is on my wish list.

I adore these bras. They are amazing, albeit pricey. The girls (droopy as they are) stay where I put them and they are front close. Love them! You are worth it!

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I've had really good luck with Old Navy's activewear line. They are an over-the-head style, but effective for a low price range. I also got it on a 50% off sale leftover from boxing day last winter. The border seam did pull out a bit, but it was an easy fix. I'll admit, It's good for yoga and bodyweight strength stuff. I have no issue with wearing two bras to jog, but when I was jogging more I found it more effective than the two-bra method.