I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• AjarnRon
    AjarnRon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Did you try switching up your routine? Adding new excercisee. Tweaking your diet?
    I'm familiar with your lifting routine. I did starting strength and then some texas method after about 6 months of SS. How do you stay motivated with your lifting when you hit that inevitable plateau and the weight starts to get up there? I know weight is relative, but it became really hard to psyche myself up to get under the bar for 315lb ATG squats. I eventually went back to just running since I love it and ultrarunning and powerlifting work at cross purposes. I was very happy with the huge gainz, but I couldn't really hang when they stopped coming and I had to find a reason to keep hitting it. I'm really just asking out of curiosity since I obviously didn't last long in the iron game until I got a bit burned out. Great work! You should be very proud!

• HealthyChar1223
    HealthyChar1223 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow great work and dedication! I am starting out, and I decided to lift weights first because I hear a lot of people say they wish they had started lifting first. This is all so new to me I always did cardio in the past. It's challenging but I love how I can see results with my improvements every week. I like how everyday is different, when I would do mostly cardio it feelt like the same day everyday.

Thanks for posting you are motivating!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    RozyAmps wrote: »
    Hey! Thanks for your inspiration! Do u train clients through the process?
    Iam 5'7" F 252lbs, ~44% body fat. weight is distributed- pear shape. I've done weights before, but don't have a routine or program to follow.
    Where do u suggest I start?
    I do not train clients. While I have accumulated a wealth of knowledge involving diet and exercise, and have taken several anatomy and physiology courses for my career (nursing), I do not actually hold any certifications that allow me to train anyone or prescribe a diet plan. There are numerous existing beginners programs available for free online. ICF 5x5, Stronglifts 5x5, and Starting Strength are 3 good choices.
    Quitabanks wrote: »
    Do weight lifting help you lose weight faster?

No. Lifting burns a rather small amount of calories, especially compared to cardio. That being said, lifting weights during fat loss phases is critical. Without weight lifting, you risk losing much more lean body mass along with fat when dieting then compared to someone who is lifting. Retaining this lean mass has a major effect on how you look once you reach your goal. Often times people who lose weight and never utilize weight lifting complain that while they are less fat, then generally still look flabby. Another way people describe it is "looking like a smaller version of my previous self". Retaining lean mass while dieting will help with your shape once your goal weight has been reached.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! Don't really have a question - looking forward to the day I can make this kind of post myself :smiley:
  • GetStrong3000
    GetStrong3000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Are you slaying the honnies?
  • Vixyb_
    Vixyb_ Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Really interesting post I'm following this as its full of useful advice. You've worked incredibly hard well done x
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this out there, since lots of people are concerned with loose skin and all from weight loss.... I got Tracy andersons vids awhile back, and her deal is to bring the skin back to the muscle, with specific exercises and all. She designed one for coming back from pregnancy..... Although none of the above has ever Been my problem, I just use them as something different to do on light days, so I can't say that it works but..... Yeah just putting it out there.
  • trossk2
    trossk2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Did you ever start feeling impatient with how long it takes to lose the weight? Especially in the higher range where you're still essentially shrinking without any real transformations in physique. I find that it's mostly just mild annoyance, but was wondering what you did to get past those moments.
  • Gwen_44
    Gwen_44 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look great!!
  • sshammond598
    sshammond598 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Strong Work!
  • vismal
    Options
    Are you slaying the honnies?
    Just the one I married!
    klove808 wrote: »
    Just throwing this out there, since lots of people are concerned with loose skin and all from weight loss.... I got Tracy andersons vids awhile back, and her deal is to bring the skin back to the muscle, with specific exercises and all. She designed one for coming back from pregnancy..... Although none of the above has ever Been my problem, I just use them as something different to do on light days, so I can't say that it works but..... Yeah just putting it out there.
    I have taken many, many, classes in anatomy and physiology and have never heard of any pathway of moving skin back to the muscle. It's not really possible. I'd not put much faith into anything like that. Seems like something designed to sell a product. You can't spot reduce fat or spot reduce loose skin. Exercising an area where loose skin is present can help build muscle to take the place of the fat that was there but you'll never be able to build as much muscle as there was fat.
    trossk2 wrote: »
    Did you ever start feeling impatient with how long it takes to lose the weight? Especially in the higher range where you're still essentially shrinking without any real transformations in physique. I find that it's mostly just mild annoyance, but was wondering what you did to get past those moments.

Yes. There came a point in my transition where I had figured out a plan, it was working great for me, and all I really needed to do was put the time in. During the initial stages I was all about optimising weight loss. Once that was done, there was nothing left to do but work the program. It frustrated me that I couldn't accelerate the process. I found it was best to focus on other things like making strength gains or perfecting form on lifts in the gym.
  • trossk2
    trossk2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Yes. There came a point in my transition where I had figured out a plan, it was working great for me, and all I really needed to do was put the time in. During the initial stages I was all about optimising weight loss. Once that was done, there was nothing left to do but work the program. It frustrated me that I couldn't accelerate the process. I found it was best to focus on other things like making strength gains or perfecting form on lifts in the gym.

Thanks, that really helps. It's exactly where I am right now. Small, short term achievables like that should do the trick.
  • ncandelaria1145
    ncandelaria1145 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to do an AMA so I thought I'd set one up here. The basics about my story are that I went from 315lbs to 195 and have been making small gains in muscles/losses to fat ever since. Ask me anything, anything at all!
    fat+skinny+fit.jpg

Add me as a friend on here too!

Hi i need some help im doing lunges squates some burpies n im not seeming to do anything can u help nn i would likevto have u as a friend as well cant seem to figure
  • kathy0224
    kathy0224 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    ok. stupid question. I just started lifting and my muscles hurt the next day. I see a gradual increase in the number of reps I can do, but I'm wondering if I should decrease the weight to increase the reps & not be sore the next day. Note: I'm in the lifting to maintain muscles while I lose 80 lbs phase. thanks!
  • kathy0224
    kathy0224 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    another Q. I've noticed since I started lifting that I'm peeing more volume Is this normal? thanks!
  • score45609
    score45609 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Truly inspirational! good job!
  • vismal
    Options
    I've always wanted to do an AMA so I thought I'd set one up here. The basics about my story are that I went from 315lbs to 195 and have been making small gains in muscles/losses to fat ever since. Ask me anything, anything at all!
    fat+skinny+fit.jpg

Add me as a friend on here too!

Hi i need some help im doing lunges squates some burpies n im not seeming to do anything can u help nn i would likevto have u as a friend as well cant seem to figure
    What did you hope to gain from doing squats lunges and burpees?
    kathy0224 wrote: »
    ok. stupid question. I just started lifting and my muscles hurt the next day. I see a gradual increase in the number of reps I can do, but I'm wondering if I should decrease the weight to increase the reps & not be sore the next day. Note: I'm in the lifting to maintain muscles while I lose 80 lbs phase. thanks!
    Decreasing weights and increasing reps won't alleviate soreness. In fact, I tend to be more sore after a lower weight, higher rep workout, than a high weight low rep workout. If you are progressing on your weights, I would not lower them. Your body will eventually adapt to your workouts and you won't be as sore the next day. This does NOT mean that you aren't getting effective workouts. Soreness doesn't really correlate with a good workout, nor does lack of soreness mean you had a bad workout. Over time your body adapts to the workouts and you simply aren't as sore. This is called the repeated bouts effect and it is not a bad thing. All too often people rate the quality of their workouts by how sore they are next day. This is a trap that can lead you to doing less effective workouts in the pursuit of feeling sore.
  • vismal
    Options
    kathy0224 wrote: »
    another Q. I've noticed since I started lifting that I'm peeing more volume Is this normal? thanks!
    Lifting should not affect the amount you pee. If you are also drinking more, or drinking during your workouts, or taking caffeine before workouts, then that could be why.
  • KrisMartinsons2015
    KrisMartinsons2015 Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi Vismal, your story is truly very inspiring and motivating.
    I have watched your YouTube videos and subscribed to your channel too. looking forward for more amazing videos.
    I have a questions for you.

My current weight is 180lb (81.9 Kg)
    Height is 5/8 (177cm)
    Body Fat 22.8%
    Body Water 56.3%
    Body Muscle 73.0%
    BMI 26.2
    (All of the above is according to the digital BMI calculator)

I used your method to calculate how much calories and macros should I consume to lose weight following IIFYM.

and these are the numbers.
    1800 Kcal
    Protein 126g - 504 kcal (minimum)
    Fat 63g - 567 kcal (Minimum)
    Protein + Fat calories total - 1071 kcal
    1800kcal - 1071kcal = 729 kcal
    If I would use all of the remaining 729kcal in carbs that would equal to 182g of carbs.

What do you think, do these numbers sound about right?

I work a 9-5 office job, sitting at the desk 90% of my day.

I was already working out before but I was never properly measuring my food and I just wasn't loosing weight.
    I guess you can't really outwork a bad nutrition. after all 80% of the transformation success is based on nutrition and 20% of the hard work at the gym.

So what I'm starting to do now is logging and measuring every single thing I eat.
    I want to follow the above macros and lift weights 3x a week and do HIIT Cardio 2/3x per week.

This is my Weight lifting plan below, what do you think, will this plan and following IIFYM approach of dieting help me to lose fat and eventually achieve lean physique? I'm looking to lose about 16 - 20 lb of overall weight and then going in to bulk.

Work Out Plan:

Chest and Triceps

Dumbbell Chest press 10 - 12 reps 3 sets
    Incline dumbbell chest press 10 - 12 reps 3 sets
    Dumbbell Flies 10 - 12 reps 3 sets

Triceps pull downs 10 - 12 reps 3 sets
    skull crushers 10 - 12 reps 3 sets
    Bench Dips 10 - 12 reps 3 sets

Shoulders and Legs

Lateral side raises 10 - 12 reps 3 sets
    Lateral front Raises 10 - 12 reps 3 sets
    Shoulder Press 10 - 12 reps 3 sets

Squats 10 - 12 reps 3 sets
    Leg Press 10 - 12 reps 3 sets
    Seated leg extensions 10 - 12 reps 3 sets
    Seated calf raises 10 - 12 reps 3 sets

Back and Biceps

Cable Pull-down 10 - 12 reps 3 sets
    Cable Row 10 - 12 reps 3 sets
    Hyper-extensions 10 - 12 reps 3 sets

Barbell curl 10 - 12 reps 3 sets
    Dumbbell curl 10 - 12 reps 3 sets

HIIT Cardio 2 - 3x per week

Best Regards,
    Kris
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!