Bought a $400 masticating juicer, and I never use it :(

I bought it for my birthday this year, and that was in April... I've used it maybe 3 times.

I can never seem to use it in the morning for two reasons, it's loud, and it will wake up our son if he's not already up (usually I have to tiptoe in the morning), and secondly, it takes a decent amount of time to clean, about 10 solid minutes.

After work it's dinner time, which I guess would be almost the only time I can use it....

Any help on motivating me to use the dang thing? It seems like such a huge waste of money, I thought I would use it but I should have just stuck with the $50 regular juicer :(

I REALLY want a Magic Bullet though to make smoothies... worried the same thing will happen though :(

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited December 2015
    Haha, yeah, noise is the main reason I haven't bothered to update my 10+ year old cheapo blender. If I'm gonna spend money, I'd want a quiet one

Since you already have yours, maybe try using it during the more noisy times of the day. For my blender, I usually try to rinse immediately after using it, even though I won't have a chance or interest in doing the full cleaning until later - makes it easier. Finally some components may be easier to clean than others, and you could focus on those first / right after use

What kinds of recipes do you make with it?

Edit: oh wow I actually just remembered, I did once buy a fancy pants juicer. Sold it on eBay for about 70% of purchase price to a very happy buyer
  • ShesFromFlorida
    ShesFromFlorida Posts: 6 Member
    I'll take it! ;)
  • thom2369
    thom2369 Posts: 271 Member
    Your juice should last 12-14 hours if you put it in a airtight glass jar I think. Perhaps you could make your morning juices in the evening. Just give them a shake before drinking.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    As soon as you're done using it, put in some water and turn it on again. Then dump the water and add clean water till you have time to really clean it. Depending on what you used it for, the rinse might be enough of a cleaning.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Use the mixer in the garage?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Put it out at your next garage sale. You've had enough time to know if you love it or not. Mastication brings this to mind:

Pelican_feeding_young.jpg

Or this:

socraticcow.gif

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    You should've bought a Vitamix instead of the juicer. Smoothies take like 30 seconds to blend.

Smoothies are better than juices IMO. You're getting whole foods in liquid form. You can blend your leafy greens and consume them instead of juicing them and throwing out the roughage.

I'm sure you could sell your juicer for top dollar in the condition that it's in on eBay or Craigslist.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    I second reselling the juicer and purchasing a vitamix. You.can get a refurbished one for the same cost with warranty and there areany things you can do with it besides smoothies. It's a great investment.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Ninja is better. I bought one that has personal blender, food processor, big blender. I can make smoothie, grind meat, dough mix for cookies, bread. It's the only application you need in the kitchen. I do have a juicer for wheatgrass. I
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    There's always Craigslist.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    Kitchen appliances are like gym memberships
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    dakotababy wrote: »
    i hope this means that u have to make your self use them... I have a juicer, nutri bullet rx, kitchen aid mixer, crock pot, pressure cooker, deep fryer, panini press, ice cream maker and even a sous vide machine and use all of them weekly haha.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Food/diet scams are the #1 scam in the US. Not pyramid schemes or Microsoft phone calls or spam. Diet scams.
  • Proter12
    Proter12 Posts: 9 Member
    Breville Juicer is the best masticating juicer
    juice Quality
    On hard fruits or vegetables-juice is best, it has high juice yield, great tasting juice. But for softer fruits need to incorporate it with some other produce or adjust its speed.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Yard sale it to another well meaning but unsuspecting buyer.

My teeth do a fine job of masticating my food and no electric is needed.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Yard sale it to another well meaning but unsuspecting buyer.

My teeth do a fine job of masticating my food and no electric is needed.

you make it sound like a scam :laugh:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Get a ninja blender. They're not too loud, relatively cheap and takes seconds to wash. I got mine in March and have used it practically every day since. Plus it blends everything, it doesn't get rid of the pulp like juicers do!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    dakotababy wrote: »

I went through my kitchen last year and gave five boxes of stuff to a very happy charity I found on freecycle.org. The only appliance I have left that I don't use regularly is my blender, which I also got on freecycle. I use my food processor instead - it's easier to clean.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    thom2369 wrote: »
    Your juice should last 12-14 hours if you put it in a airtight glass jar I think. Perhaps you could make your morning juices in the evening. Just give them a shake before drinking.

Ya, if you DO want to keep it, this ^ is my recommendation.

However, if juicing just isn't for you, now would be a great time of year to sell it on Craigslist. And then you will have room for your smoothie maker. Lots of people here are Ninja fans. I'm happy with my Cuisinart food processor.

I left behind a $400 Bosch bread mixer in a move. I realized as much as I love bread making and homemade bread, it was too much of a good thing for me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2015
    Double post..