No interest in food

Options
I seem to have been protein deficient, so addressing this by way of additional fish and protein shakes, 1 week in and I'm getting up earlier, however I seem to have lost all interest in food and have lost my appetite, Sat night had a buffet night, I ate 2 pieces of French bread with fish Pattie and felt uncomfortably full, I never feel full ever, so usually eat far too much. Is this normal if you increase protein intake ? What should I do ?

Replies

• andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Has no one ever experienced this ?
  • greengurl1088
    greengurl1088 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there, typically loss of interest in food is caused by depression or anxiety. Is it possible you have more stress right now or other things are going on that you didn't realize?

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Keep foods around that have protein and are easy to eat: nuts, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese,
  • Terri2874
    Terri2874 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If this is not your "normal"... it might be a good idea to see your doctor
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Keep foods around that have protein and are easy to eat: nuts, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese,

I'd start here. Because your diary is closed and we don't know about your exercise habits we can't really see what you mean by "protein deficient". You don't get 50 or so grams just by eating food?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    open your diary
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    andysport1 wrote: »
    I seem to have been protein deficient, so addressing this by way of additional fish and protein shakes, 1 week in and I'm getting up earlier, however I seem to have lost all interest in food and have lost my appetite, Sat night had a buffet night, I ate 2 pieces of French bread with fish Pattie and felt uncomfortably full, I never feel full ever, so usually eat far too much. Is this normal if you increase protein intake ? What should I do ?

Are you not getting enough calories because you no longer feel like eating?
    You could see your doctor and rule out any medical issues if the problem persists.

• ElizabethPalm
    ElizabethPalm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ketosis.
  • andysport1
    Options
    My protein levels had days when they were super low less than 10g, keep snack foods to hand is a great idea = thank you. No point opening my diary, I hardly log. My current aim is100g a day, my exercise levels are quite high, Last week 140 miles biking at ave15mph, ran twice plus 1 race, plus 10 hours of cutting trees and logging them.
    I do not think I'm getting enough calories, however if I put my exercise into mfp sometimes it will say I need to eat 6000 cals + I would like to move a few pounds but that isn't happening.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Over exercising has been known to reduce appetite. If you're burning over 6 thousand calories in exercise, I'd suggest cutting back on the exercise. At that rate, you're netting far below 0 calories, which can do all kinds of wonky and dangerous things to your body.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My protein levels had days when they were super low less than 10g, keep snack foods to hand is a great idea = thank you. No point opening my diary, I hardly log. My current aim is100g a day, my exercise levels are quite high, Last week 140 miles biking at ave15mph, ran twice plus 1 race, plus 10 hours of cutting trees and logging them.
    I do not think I'm getting enough calories, however if I put my exercise into mfp sometimes it will say I need to eat 6000 cals + I would like to move a few pounds but that isn't happening.

what are you eating that has so little protein in it? plus, if you don't log, how do you know how much or little you're getting?
  • andysport1
    Options

what are you eating that has so little protein in it? plus, if you don't log, how do you know how much or little you're getting?
    [/quote]

I'm a veggie except for fish, so for example, breakfast beans on toast, lunch soup with say mushroom pattie on rivita crackers, dinner a veggie pizza, snacks would be chocolate or toast, I was finding I was increasingly eating sugary items in an afternoon, now I think this was to give me an energy boost. I logged food for a few days and realised my protein was really low almost every other day.
  • andysport1
    Options
    Over exercising has been known to reduce appetite. If you're burning over 6 thousand calories in exercise, I'd suggest cutting back on the exercise. At that rate, you're netting far below 0 calories, which can do all kinds of wonky and dangerous things to your body.
    Hi, on a heavy work day plus exercise I can burn 4000 plus the 2000 ish I should eat = 6000 I can't alter my workload what needs to get done needs doing. I am training for an Ironman triathlon, part of my problem is that I haven't got the energy to train more, I need to train a lot more not less, though thanks for your advice.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Hi, on a heavy work day plus exercise I can burn 4000 plus the 2000 ish I should eat = 6000 I can't alter my workload what needs to get done needs doing. I am training for an Ironman triathlon, part of my problem is that I haven't got the energy to train more, I need to train a lot more not less, though thanks for your advice.

You need to fuel those workouts though. Investigate more calorie dense foods, because if your estimations of calorie burns are even remotely close, this is a long term disaster.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Get more beans. Remember to eat fats and oils: avocados, coconut oil, . . .

For example: black bean chili, tofu and broiled squash, curried lentil soup, chic pea salad.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/14238/chickpea-salad-with-red-onion-and-tomato/
    cnau1eg2hkoe.png
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Protein can help you feel fuller so upping it might cause you to feel fuller. But if you are training for an Ironman you need to start eating properly. Hunger is also regulated by hormones and very low intake can affect that as well.
    I'd suggest starting to log so you can see where you can add calories and where your really are with intake. 10 g of protein is super low even for what you listed.
    It's hard to give suggestions without knowing what you are eating. Take a look at the foods you are using, do you use low fat versions - switch them to the full fat versions. Add things like nuts, nut butters, oils. Foods like avocado that are calorie dense. These things will add calories without adding a ton of extra food to eat.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Get more beans. Remember to eat fats and oils: avocados, coconut oil, . . .

For example: black bean chili, tofu and broiled squash, curried lentil soup, chic pea salad.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/14238/chickpea-salad-with-red-onion-and-tomato/
    cnau1eg2hkoe.png

This. If you're going to be a vegetarian, eat more beans, and add other proteins. Consider tofu. Add more nuts. If you can eat fish, do, and make it tasty.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    With ironman training especially, it would be beneficial for you to meet with a sports nutritionist to learn how to properly fuel your workouts. I would hate to see you put in all this work and then get injured during training or hit a wall during the event because of poor continued nutrition. Most health insurance plans cover nutritionists with a small co-pay so it's pretty reasonable.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    With ironman training especially, it would be beneficial for you to meet with a sports nutritionist to learn how to properly fuel your workouts. I would hate to see you put in all this work and then get injured during training or hit a wall during the event because of poor continued nutrition. Most health insurance plans cover nutritionists with a small co-pay so it's pretty reasonable.

Yup, someone I know got pulled after the swim part of the 2015 Ironman Triathlon World Championships as he was sick. What a shame.