Confession: Throwing Away People's Homemade Treats

Options

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I throw them all away, unless hubs wants it...usually a family member will make a bunch of pastries, full of flour...they all look lovely, but I have Celiac, and they are deadly for me. The temptation is crazy at this time of year, but by throwing them out, temptation gone!
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    If I had ANYone to give the food to, I would have. I don't feel good about throwing away food, but I feel good about getting things out of my house that aren't good for me.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I put some in the freezer, but I have gotten so many gifted bake goods there is no way I could ever eat them one small piece at a time. I won't regift sweets because so many folks around me are diabetic and already receiving the same Christmas cookie gifts as I am...and I see them digging right in. Most of the gifts came from people who know I'm dieting, but it's their habit, their thing to give cookies. Even to the diabetics they say "Merry Christmas...i know you can't eat these, but here you go anyway. " It's a cultural thing, I guess, and hard to do anything about other than dispose secretly of the extra you don't want to eat.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Depends on who made it. There are some that I get that I toss right away - I don't trust their cooking/baking!

However for those that I trust I may have one or two and then I give the rest away (to my boyfriend/nieces, nephews, etc) or I toss it. Two weeks ago we had a cookie exchange at work so I had one/a bit of one each and for those that may each person cookies to take home I gave them to my boyfriend and the one he didn't want I tossed.

I gave each of my coworkers a small holiday tin of molasses cookies and I wouldn't be offended if they didn't eat all of them...out of all of the cookies I made I had two.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    You guys sound like my husband. He's a little OCD and he finally got called out by his coworkers at their periodic potlucks. Turns out there were only 2 or 3 people he deemed 'safe' to eat what they made. LOL
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    This is after working there almost 20 years
    #immarriedtosheldoncooper #noitsnotfunny
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I give them away. Especially now, there are hungry folks everywhere.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    They are yours to do what you want with. But there are a lot of people on the street who are cold & hungry. I'd do a drive by to a local homeless gathering point myself. But that's just me.

I agree that this is a great option when it's available. However, most of the food shelves in my area only take packaged items for fear of food safety/contamination so they don't accept homemade gifts. Since it is Minnesota, you rarely see homeless individuals on the street, especially this time of year, because it is below freezing. And eating something just because someone somewhere else is hungry is really helping no one's health.
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Uh, yeah. I get it. Whatever.

But also, TONS of people don't even get the option to eat dinner and definitely not special treats like that. I don't understand not giving them away to someone else that would enjoy them. Like you literally just throw it in the trash... my guilty conscience would eat me up.

To each his own... I guess.
  • tristen_leigh
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    If I had ANYone to give the food to, I would have. I don't feel good about throwing away food, but I feel good about getting things out of my house that aren't good for me.

There are no places of business around you? Neighbors? Nursing homes? Homeless shelter/women's shelter/animal shelter volunteers? I can't imagine.

And I probably shouldn't have even opened this thread.
  • Rachel0778
    Options

But also, TONS of people don't even get the option to eat dinner and definitely not special treats like that. I don't understand not giving them away to someone else that would enjoy them. Like you literally just throw it in the trash... my guilty conscience would eat me up.

Too each his own... I guess.

I'm more thinking about when you don't have a person to give the treats to. Especially around the holidays, the people that I know are overloaded with treats already. If it's someone that I know favorite food item, I'll absolutely pass it along, but otherwise it seems silly to eat or give something that you and the other person don't actually want. We are very fortunate to live in a culture of excess, which is why we are struggling with the obesity epidemic in the first place.

And if homeless shelters/food networks don't take the item then it isn't assisting those people who don't get dinner or special treats either way. It's just giving excess to people who already have more than they need.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm going to leave this here as an educational aid for my brothers and sisters who had no clue what a persimmon even is, let alone how or why you would make a pudding out of it:
    180px-Diospiros_kaki_Fruit_IMG_5465s.JPG
    I sort of had the vague idea that it was a purple radish-type thing and I was like you thought people would eat purple radish pudding are you high but apparently it's a fruit. According to Wikipedia, persimmon pudding is "a baked pudding that has the consistency of pumpkin pie but resembles a brownie and is almost always topped with whipped cream." I did a google image search on it and, um, I have to say that I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole either at a first introduction. It looks sort of dire, and like it might taste rubbery and burnt.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    I'm going to leave this here as an educational aid for my brothers and sisters who had no clue what a persimmon even is, let alone how or why you would make a pudding out of it:
    I sort of had the vague idea that it was a purple radish-type thing and I was like you thought people would eat purple radish pudding are you high but apparently it's a fruit. According to Wikipedia, persimmon pudding is "a baked pudding that has the consistency of pumpkin pie but resembles a brownie and is almost always topped with whipped cream." I did a google image search on it and, um, I have to say that I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole either at a first introduction. It looks sort of dire, and like it might taste rubbery and burnt.

Well, then...with that description I would totally try it!!!
  • Rachel0778
    Options

There are no places of business around you? Neighbors? Nursing homes? Homeless shelter/women's shelter/animal shelter volunteers? I can't imagine.

There are plenty of shelters, they don't take homemade donations for fear of food safety/contamination
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Persimmons are delicious raw. As I said before, I've never had them in pudding form. Our grocery store has them once in a blue moon and I'm always sure to get one at those times. They look like orange tomatoes with really hard leaves (like in the picture above.)

As for feeling guilty about throwing food away...pfft. Never. And I'd never eat a homemade food item that some rando off the street brought into my place of business. The idea of that is just really weird to me. "Hello stranger, have the 5 remaining cookies from the plate that my cubicle made gave me. The plastic wrap wouldn't cling right so I've attached it with binder clips. You can keep the clips. Merry Christmas!"
  • tristen_leigh
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »

Too each his own... I guess.

I'm more thinking about when you don't have a person to give the treats to. Especially around the holidays, the people that I know are overloaded with treats already. If it's someone that I know favorite food item, I'll absolutely pass it along, but otherwise it seems silly to eat or give something that you and the other person don't actually want. We are very fortunate to live in a culture of excess, which is why we are struggling with the obesity epidemic in the first place.

And if homeless shelters/food networks don't take the item then it isn't assisting those people who don't get dinner or special treats either way. It's just giving excess to people who already have more than they need.

Yeah, I get it. But that's making a lot of assumptions. I could easily go down the block to a local store I frequent with the homemade special treat someone spent the time making and tell them "Hey! I have way too many goodies to eat by myself, go ahead and enjoy this while you're working!" I spent over ten years in retail and know that we would have devoured it. It's an out of your comfort zone gesture that I'm sure would not be frowned upon.

When speaking of shelters, I'm talking about the volunteers and employees. I know there are restrictions in place when it comes to what they can give out.

On another note, I see the same homeless individuals on a corner a couple blocks from me in a suburban area of Dallas. I would bet they don't live in excess. It's hard for me to not think of them.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »

Well, then...with that description I would totally try it!!!

See, it only hit one out of three for me. I love pumpkin pie but I hate brownies, and whipped cream is just nasty unless you're talking about a very small amount on strawberries.
  • tristen_leigh
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »

There are plenty of shelters, they don't take homemade donations for fear of food safety/contamination

Yep. Volunteers and employees working there.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me but sometimes I read posts like this as kind of holier than thou. Like you turned down a slice of cheesecake, you're not curing cancer. I'm not saying don't try to make good decisions and all that, but do what you need to do, eat what you want to eat or not eat, but I don't entirely understand making it into a giant announcement that you're chucking someone's brownies because you have all the willpower in the world.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Persimmons are delicious raw. As I said before, I've never had them in pudding form. Our grocery store has them once in a blue moon and I'm always sure to get one at those times. They look like orange tomatoes with really hard leaves (like in the picture above.)

As for feeling guilty about throwing food away...pfft. Never. And I'd never eat a homemade food item that some rando off the street brought into my place of business. The idea of that is just really weird to me. "Hello stranger, have the 5 remaining cookies from the plate that my cubicle made gave me. The plastic wrap wouldn't cling right so I've attached it with binder clips. You can keep the clips. Merry Christmas!"

LOL! That's exactly what I was thinking. Same thing if you showed up at a nursing home or hospital. There's no way the staff would serve homemade baked goods that a stranger dropped off to the residents/patients.

All the teachers I know toss the baked goods they receive from their students. When I heard that, I started giving them gift cards for coffee or classroom supplies instead of food.