BODYBUILDING Community!

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    AliMalek21 wrote: »
    jkuckian wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm a body builder, add me as a friend if you're trying to gain weight and we can be friends on here! I'm currently at 3,500-4,000kcal a day, 55%Carbs, 25%Protein, 20%Fats and making very good progress :-)

Join the community and we can make this journey a lot more fun!

its not about the calories , its about what nutrition ur consuming and the amount

Calories are king. Macros are important too, but even if your macros were perfect if you aren't eating enough you aren't maximizing growth.
  • txchipk
    txchipk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    AliMalek21 wrote: »
    jkuckian wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm a body builder, add me as a friend if you're trying to gain weight and we can be friends on here! I'm currently at 3,500-4,000kcal a day, 55%Carbs, 25%Protein, 20%Fats and making very good progress :-)

Join the community and we can make this journey a lot more fun!

its not about the calories , its about what nutrition ur consuming and the amount

Calories is #1 in terms of weight gain or loss goals. Macros is right behind -- like #1a if building a list. You could eat the cleanest bodybuilding diet and get fat if you are eating too much of them.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    200lbs, 6ft, 15% bodyfat (I think). I've been slow bulking for two years and lifting 4-5 times a week. I've put on 30lbs and roughly maintained my body fat eating between 3000-3500 calories a day (180-200g protein). Will maintain for a while before starting my first cut.
  • txchipk
    Options
    5'11 205. Plan to try to stick around 195-200 over the next 10 weeks and then start prepping for another competition in July.
  • memo1974
    memo1974 Posts: 57 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Week 4 is gone. The recap so far:
    Week 1: 196 lbs.
    Week 2: 198 lbs.
    Week 3: 199 lbs.
    Week 4: 200 lbs.

Will stay on 2800 calories for week 5.
    Also new for week 5 is the incorporation of Animal Stak. Trying to get the "T" higher. And, I got a supp of BCAA which I am planning on adding to the after workout shake.

"May the gainz be with you..."
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Female, 5'9", 200 pounds and 23% body fat. I've been slowly cutting for a show next year. I'll step it up in January and see if I can make the May show.
  • Exerorg
    Exerorg Posts: 23 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    txchipk wrote: »
    Exerorg wrote: »
    I'd like to get into bodybuilding. I'm currently 5'3 and 130 lbs. The past few months I've been lifting 2 hours with 30 minutes of cardio a day. I've been eating roughly 2500-3000 calories and haven't gained any weight. Any tips?

You don't need 30 minutes of cardio each day if underweight and trying to gain. It is being counterproductive at this point. You likely also need to increase the intensity of lifting...you should be tired after an hour. If you are lifting for 2 hours, you are either lifting too light or taking really long rest breaks. You should be able to hit 18-22 sets (not counting warm ups) using weights heavy enough to stay in the 8-12 rep range in an hour and that should be sufficient.

Thanks for the advice. I'd like to add that I'm not underweight at 130 lbs and 5'3 by non-bodybuilder standards, so I figured 30 minutes of cardio would be fine to keep my heart in shape. Also those two hours aren't consecutive, but actually one hour around noon working upper/lower depending on the day and another around evening of low intensity core.
  • txchipk
    Options
    I'd like to get into bodybuilding. I'm currently 5'3 and 130 lbs. The past few months I've been lifting 2 hours with 30 minutes of cardio a day. I've been eating roughly 2500-3000 calories and haven't gained any weight. Any tips?

You don't need 30 minutes of cardio each day if underweight and trying to gain. It is being counterproductive at this point. You likely also need to increase the intensity of lifting...you should be tired after an hour. If you are lifting for 2 hours, you are either lifting too light or taking really long rest breaks. You should be able to hit 18-22 sets (not counting warm ups) using weights heavy enough to stay in the 8-12 rep range in an hour and that should be sufficient.

Thanks for the advice. I'd like to add that I'm not underweight at 130 lbs and 5'3 by non-bodybuilder standards, so I figured 30 minutes of cardio would be fine to keep my heart in shape. Also those two hours aren't consecutive, but actually one hour around noon working upper/lower depending on the day and another around evening of low intensity core.

If the cardio is low intensity, that is fine (walking is sufficient for the heart given that you are also exercising it lifting). Otherwise, you will be burning calories that negate a weight gain.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Can I ask a question?

Now that I'm into my bulk, have been lifting awhile and have a good understanding of my routine, I'm wondering the best way to go about sculpting the body I want. For example-I have large calves. They were 16.5 inches when I was fat and I think they are still 15 inches. I have no desire to make them bigger, but my program has me hitting calves twice per week. Would that be something I would only want to do once per week, if not at all? I obviously don't want to neglect anything either, I assume.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Can I ask a question?

Now that I'm into my bulk, have been lifting awhile and have a good understanding of my routine, I'm wondering the best way to go about sculpting the body I want. For example-I have large calves. They were 16.5 inches when I was fat and I think they are still 15 inches. I have no desire to make them bigger, but my program has me hitting calves twice per week. Would that be something I would only want to do once per week, if not at all? I obviously don't want to neglect anything either, I assume.

you can do them once a week or none totally up to you ..sometimes I just run out of time with PHUL and I will not get in triceps or calf ...
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Can I ask a question?

you can do them once a week or none totally up to you ..sometimes I just run out of time with PHUL and I will not get in triceps or calf ...

To add on, if you're doing squats and deads then you're also activating the calves. Just not as much as some direct work but easily enough to maintain while adding mass elsewhere.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Can I ask a question?

Yeah...I guess in my brain I know this. Maybe I'll stick to once.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Can I ask a question?

To add on, if you're doing squats and deads then you're also activating the calves. Just not as much as some direct work but easily enough to maintain while adding mass elsewhere.

Right, then I wonder...will my squats and deads suffer if I'm not isolating calves? lol. Probably not?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Can I ask a question?

Right, then I wonder...will my squats and deads suffer if I'm not isolating calves? lol. Probably not?

No...:)
  • arditarose
    Options
    Can I ask a question?

No...:)

Great. Screw calves twice per week then. I don't like doing them anyway.
  • Exerorg
    Options

If the cardio is low intensity, that is fine (walking is sufficient for the heart given that you are also exercising it lifting). Otherwise, you will be burning calories that negate a weight gain.

Alright, so I just need to add more calories if I'm running then, yes?
  • txchipk
    Options

I wouldn't do any running if trying to gain weight..do something lower intensity (walking) for heart health. Running is counter to bodybuilding if that is still the objective in the original post.

• Exerorg
    Options

I wouldn't do any running if trying to gain weight..do something lower intensity (walking) for heart health. Running is counter to bodybuilding if that is still the objective in the original post.

Got it, thanks!
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

Yeah, I would probably attempt to eat back any cardio calories burned if you're having trouble gaining. Or, if you do some sort of low intensity cardio activity every day, just add a few hundred cals to your tdee.

• sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    memo1974 wrote: »
    Week 4 is gone. The recap so far:
    Week 1: 196 lbs.
    Week 2: 198 lbs.
    Week 3: 199 lbs.
    Week 4: 200 lbs.

Will stay on 2800 calories for week 5.
    Also new for week 5 is the incorporation of Animal Stak. Trying to get the "T" higher. And, I got a supp of BCAA which I am planning on adding to the after workout shake.

"May the gainz be with you..."

Memo: "May the gainz be with you..."

Me: "And also with you..."

I'll update while I'm here, as well:

Week 1: 174.5
    Week 2: 174.2 (got sick)
    Week 3: 175.0
    Week 4: (in progress 1st weigh-in was high, @ 179.2. Likely due to a couple days of loose tracking and a few beers on both Friday & Saturday)

Week 4 calories are 2890 on (4) training days and 2675 on (3) rest days.