Confession: Throwing Away People's Homemade Treats

Options

Replies

• klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Been taught: always Accept a gift ( as long as it's not an open grenade, etc) graciously and very thankfully. Refusing a gift is offensive and sad for the gifter.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I have a few different methods for dealing with office treats:

a) I take them home and will fit them into my calories. If they will freeze well, I'll pop them into the freezer and thaw them to eat. If they don't freeze well, I'll eat until they go bad and then will toss them.

b) I bring them home and give them to my husband. He ate 95% of the treats I brought home last year anyway, so it's usually a combo of a & b.

c) I bring them home and we will bring it to my parents or his parents house to share.

d) If its something that no one in a,b, or c will like (or I question the hygiene of the maker), I'll leave it in a public space somewhere (like a break room).
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Send them to me! I make them fit in my daily calorie allotment, and enjoy the heck out of them!

I get the spirit of this but how do you make them fit if you don't know what's in them? You can guess, which might work fine for you and whatever your current goals are but it is conceivable that someone else might not be able to do that. This is especially true for those struggling to get results who ask for help and are slammed with "stop guessing, weigh everything, tighten up your logging" responses.

You guesstimate. Put in whatever it is into the MFP database search and select one. I usually go for something on the higher end to be safe.

Or ask for the recipe. Or google recipes if its something really specific.
  • Ms_Chai
    Ms_Chai Posts: 86 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Ms_Chai wrote: »
    OP, if it makes you feel any better. I have personally taken and tossed treats before from my workplace because it didn't fit in my calorie goal for the day.

I have also been the person who brought delicious treats to work and had no one take them because they didn't know what it was. It was persimmon pudding people.....persimmon pudding. WHO doesn't know what persimmon pudding is?!? Anyway, my point here is, that in that situation I would have preferred if they had politely taken a slice and tossed it themselves. Instead, it made me feel like I wasted my time altogether.

The first time I took a bite of a persimmon I FREAKED out. Mouth feels were insane. I can imagine the pudding being tasty, but not what I'd choose if there was a cookie or brownie next to it.

That is because it wasn't ripe enough. If the persimmon is very ripe it is sweet and delicious....better than any other fruit. if you get a strange feeling in your mouth, then the persimmon isn't ripe enough. :smile:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    or, you could just leave them in the office break room ...

^^^This or take them home, put them in the freezer and enjoy them piece by piece. Home baking is so much work when it's done in volume.

This ^^^

Put them in the freezer and enjoy them piece by piece.

My diet allows me to have treats in moderation, so that's what I do. :)

• Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Yep I do too. But I feel bad.
  • Machka9
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    OP, if it makes you feel any better. I have personally taken and tossed treats before from my workplace because it didn't fit in my calorie goal for the day.

I have also been the person who brought delicious treats to work and had no one take them because they didn't know what it was. It was persimmon pudding people.....persimmon pudding. WHO doesn't know what persimmon pudding is?!? Anyway, my point here is, that in that situation I would have preferred if they had politely taken a slice and tossed it themselves. Instead, it made me feel like I wasted my time altogether.

@Ms_Chai are you from Indiana? The only person I know who knows what persimmon pudding is, is from Indiana. (I've heard of it but never seen/eaten it.)

YES! I am from Indiana. That is too funny. I didn't realize it was a local treat.

ETA: So maybe what I thought was a normal dessert really was a freaky, strange one after-all.

I've never heard of persimmon pudding either. :grin: I'm envisioning either a vanilla pudding from a packet with a persimmon mixed in or a cake-like pudding with a persimmon sauce??

• Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

^^^This or take them home, put them in the freezer and enjoy them piece by piece. Home baking is so much work when it's done in volume.

This ^^^

I'll add this ...

The first Christmas I worked in my current place of employment, I was given a little container with a few chocolates in it. That was it. There were no chocolates and cookies sitting out on counters or anything like I have come across when I worked in Canada.

The second Christmas (last year), I decided to fix that situation and I bought several boxes of chocolates and handed them around to everyone. But I found it interesting that several people turned me down. There were really only a few who had the chocolates, and I ended up with quite a bit left over. Plus a few other people handed out a few little chocolates.

This Christmas, I did not buy chocolates and let things return to normal. I have received a grand total of 12 chocolates. Not 12 boxes of chocolates or plates of chocolate cookies or something ... I have received 12 individual chocolates. Over the last 5 days, my husband and I have eaten 4 of them (2 each). The rest are in the fridge and we'll nibble a bit here and there.

No way am I throwing them out!! There's really not that much, so I'm going to enjoy them ... gradually. :)

• beets4us
    beets4us Posts: 57 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Time to put your high horse back in the stable. I give money and food to groups that help feed others. I don't believe that my cast off leftovers are anything to feel bad about.

Especially when the cast off leftovers not filling in a wholesome way and are full of sugar. Many poor and homeless people can't afford dental care. This was a big reason why the food bank I volunteer with does not give out candy-despite the huge amount that is donated.
  • Ms_Chai
    edited December 2015
    Options

@Ms_Chai are you from Indiana? The only person I know who knows what persimmon pudding is, is from Indiana. (I've heard of it but never seen/eaten it.)

YES! I am from Indiana. That is too funny. I didn't realize it was a local treat.

ETA: So maybe what I thought was a normal dessert really was a freaky, strange one after-all.

I've never heard of persimmon pudding either. :grin: I'm envisioning either a vanilla pudding from a packet with a persimmon mixed in or a cake-like pudding with a persimmon sauce??

I have no idea how to add images in here yet. However, if you do a quick google image search of persimmon pudding, it is the cake-like pudding that you see. My family doesn't eat it with whipped cream. We make a clear-ish sauce that I will admit looks questionable due to it's rather unfortunate resemblance to semen. It is delicious though!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

I have no idea how to add images in here yet. However, if you do a quick google image search of persimmon pudding. It is the cake-like pudding that you see. My family doesn't eat it with whipped cream. We make a clear-ish sauce that I will admit looks rather questionable due to it's rather unfortunate resemblance to semen. It is delicious though!

This made me laugh. Great visual :smiley:

ETA: Is it like this:

6a00e55015ee5288330120a6bb4a7d970b-pi

If yes, it looks pretty good, but I don't think I've ever walked away from a cake-type creation (at least not before trying a bite)
  • Ms_Chai
    Options

I have no idea how to add images in here yet. However, if you do a quick google image search of persimmon pudding. It is the cake-like pudding that you see. My family doesn't eat it with whipped cream. We make a clear-ish sauce that I will admit looks rather questionable due to it's rather unfortunate resemblance to semen. It is delicious though!

This made me laugh. Great visual :smiley:

ETA: Is it like this:

6a00e55015ee5288330120a6bb4a7d970b-pi

If yes, it looks pretty good, but I don't think I've ever walked away from a cake-type creation (at least not before trying a bite)

Hahaha! Thanks for putting a picture. It IS pretty good. Mine tend to be a bit more pudding-y and in square form, but probably taste the same. I am getting a kick out of how few people know what a persimmon is. I honestly had no idea it was an Indiana thing. At least I understand my co-workers' hesitation now.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how to add images in here yet.

On a computer, when you type in the text box, there are a bunch of icons above the box. The one that looks like a page with the corner folded down has a drop down arrow to its right. Click on the arrow to add photos.

• Machka9
    edited December 2015
    Options

I have no idea how to add images in here yet. However, if you do a quick google image search of persimmon pudding, it is the cake-like pudding that you see. My family doesn't eat it with whipped cream. We make a clear-ish sauce that I will admit looks questionable due to it's rather unfortunate resemblance to semen. It is delicious though!

Oh, OK ...

Like this?

Persimmon%20Pudding%20Courtesy%20of%20Aida%20Mollenkamp.jpeg

Or this?

persimmon-pudding.png

If so, it kind of looks like when my banana bread fails to rise. Or is it taller and fluffier? There are some images of a fluffier version too that looks more like carrot cake.

• 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options

This ^^^

I'll add this ...

The first Christmas I worked in my current place of employment, I was given a little container with a few chocolates in it. That was it. There were no chocolates and cookies sitting out on counters or anything like I have come across when I worked in Canada.

The second Christmas (last year), I decided to fix that situation and I bought several boxes of chocolates and handed them around to everyone. But I found it interesting that several people turned me down. There were really only a few who had the chocolates, and I ended up with quite a bit left over. Plus a few other people handed out a few little chocolates.

This Christmas, I did not buy chocolates and let things return to normal. I have received a grand total of 12 chocolates. Not 12 boxes of chocolates or plates of chocolate cookies or something ... I have received 12 individual chocolates. Over the last 5 days, my husband and I have eaten 4 of them (2 each). The rest are in the fridge and we'll nibble a bit here and there.

No way am I throwing them out!! There's really not that much, so I'm going to enjoy them ... gradually. :)

Sounds like quality vs. quantity might be the way to go... maybe give one or two attractively-wrapped "high-end" pieces of something like Godiva to co-workers rather than a big ol' Whitman's Sampler (if they even make those anymore).

Last week I was gripped by the sudden impulse to make an apple pie from scratch. I'm not much of a cook, but there are some things I feel compelled to make once in a while. I ended up not doing it because 1) I wasn't going to eat it myself, 2) I don't have a family who would eat it, and 3) I know there are already way too many sugary snacks strewn all over the office at this time of year and one more pie would be seen as "oh God" rather than "oh good". I will shelve my compulsion and maybe try and fire it up again in mid-March when nobody else is bringing food to the office.

• bodymindmusic
    bodymindmusic Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Don't know what persimmon pudding is and you have to do what you have to do. Anything of questionable making is out for me. For this reason I do not do pot luck meals or bring a dish meals. Trashed treats is not a big deal in the scheme of things. I have lost 28 lbs and my students still bring me cookies, etc. hello!?
    Add me!

• OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    13bbird13 wrote: »
    Last week I was gripped by the sudden impulse to make an apple pie from scratch. I'm not much of a cook, but there are some things I feel compelled to make once in a while. I ended up not doing it because 1) I wasn't going to eat it myself, 2) I don't have a family who would eat it, and 3) I know there are already way too many sugary snacks strewn all over the office at this time of year and one more pie would be seen as "oh God" rather than "oh good". I will shelve my compulsion and maybe try and fire it up again in mid-March when nobody else is bringing food to the office.

Here's what I do when I want apple pie without all the "pie". Slice an apple. Put it a microwave safe dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon and a littttle bit of nutmeg. Microwave for 60-ish seconds till the apples are warm and soft. If you want it sweeter, you can add some sugar, splenda, honey, or whatever you like.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    13bbird13 wrote: »

Here's what I do when I want apple pie without all the "pie". Slice an apple. Put it a microwave safe dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon and a littttle bit of nutmeg. Microwave for 60-ish seconds till the apples are warm and soft. If you want it sweeter, you can add some sugar, splenda, honey, or whatever you like.
    That sounds great; thank you! I will copy this idea and staple it to the apple pie recipe in my files. I'd probably sprinkle a hint of brown sugar on top.
  • Ms_Chai
    edited December 2015
    Options

Oh, OK ...

Like this?

Persimmon%20Pudding%20Courtesy%20of%20Aida%20Mollenkamp.jpeg

Or this?

persimmon-pudding.png

If so, it kind of looks like when my banana bread fails to rise. Or is it taller and fluffier? There are some images of a fluffier version too that looks more like carrot cake.

YOU'VE GOT IT!!!! That is it. Except my family has that sauce I spoke of earlier :blush:

ETA: I see both versions around here. Mine personally looks like the top one.
  • Ms_Chai
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    I have no idea how to add images in here yet.

On a computer, when you type in the text box, there are a bunch of icons above the box. The one that looks like a page with the corner folded down has a drop down arrow to its right. Click on the arrow to add photos.

Thank you! That is really simple. I am glad to know how to do that now.