How do you stick to your calorie goal?

Options
Over the past two weeks I've been eating significantly more than usual (generally eating around 1500-1800 calories when I should be eating 1200) and it's become a habit.

I'd really like to change that habit immediately.

Making sensible meals, even while at home, can be kind of tough, and I often end up grazing all day instead of sitting down to a meal.

What are some good tips that help you to stick to your calorie goal?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat all meals and snacks sitting down at the table with a plate. Food is for nourishment so when you are eating be aware of your food and how you feel. Stop grazing.
  • kittyebony
    kittyebony Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ⏳⌛️⏱⏲⏰
  • dmcb24
    dmcb24 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Following. I have been eating way too much lately and can't stop.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    In my best Yoda voice: There is no can or can't, only do or don't. Or whoever said it. Something like that.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Willpower. If you want to reach the goal bad enough you will stop eating when you reach the daily limit.
  • jph3
    jph3 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead.

This. Before bed, I break open MFP and plan the next days meals from first to last, then stick to it.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Pre-log.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Choosing an appropriate calorie goal is key to sticking to it. For many (if not most) women, 1200 is an unnecessarily low calorie goal, which makes adhering to it difficult.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    kittyebony wrote: »
    ⏳⌛️⏱⏲⏰

^sounds good to me. ;) And I don't know why you are limiting yourself to 1200 calories
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Choosing an appropriate calorie goal is key to sticking to it. For many (if not most) women, 1200 is an unnecessarily low calorie goal, which makes adhering to it difficult.

This. Are you sure 1200 is the right goal for you? I could never stick to eating that low either.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Plan plan plan. Once a week I plan all our dinners and then shop for those ingredients. So if my calendar says tonight is chicken, then that's what I make.

I also prelog the whole day's meals and snacks ahead of time. Breakfast and lunch tend to be the same or similar meals most days any way. Sure, sometimes I prelog a meal and then change my mind. No biggie. I adjust and move on.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I make my calorie goal not so aggressive. When my calorie goal is 1500 I'm more likely to end up in a binge. When my calories goal is 1800 It's easier for me to stay in that deficit and I don't binge.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I make my calorie goal not so aggressive. When my calorie goal is 1500 I'm more likely to end up in a binge. When my calories goal is 1800 It's easier for me to stay in that deficit and I don't binge.

This^

Because 1200 is MFP's minimum, it's very likely you will still lose at 1500 or even 1800. Check out your TDEE (maintenance)....and just make sure you are under that: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

It's so important to be consistent. Don't beat yourself up over going above 1200....1500 will still be progress.
  • kittyebony
    kittyebony Posts: 35 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

This. Are you sure 1200 is the right goal for you? I could never stick to eating that low either.

My BMR is about 1500, if I eat 1200 calories/day I'll burn about 300 calories/day leaving me with a net 3,500 calories burned/week, meaning I'll burn 1 pound/week that way garaunteed. I'd actually like to lose 2 pounds/week, but 1200's a start. I've lost weight on a diet with far fewer calories than this, just can't seem to get back into that mindset lately.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead.

^ agreed
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options

My BMR is about 1500, if I eat 1200 calories/day I'll burn about 300 calories/day leaving me with a net 3,500 calories burned/week, meaning I'll burn 1 pound/week that way garaunteed. I'd actually like to lose 2 pounds/week, but 1200's a start. I've lost weight on a diet with far fewer calories than this, just can't seem to get back into that mindset lately.

Um? 300/day x 7 days = 2100 (not 3500)

Are you exercising or burning any additional calories at all?
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »

Um? 300/day x 7 days = 2100 (not 3500)

Are you exercising or burning any additional calories at all?

OP I think you are confused between BMR and TDEE. Your BMR is the calories you need to sustain yourself just by laying in bed all day doing nothing, like if you were in a comma. If 1500 calories is your BMR and not your TDEE, then you are eating far too little assuming you're logging accurately. Like other posters have said pick a calorie goal less aggressive and more sustainable.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I eat the same things every day, and I don't eat things that I don't buy or make myself when I'm trying to lose.

Following these 2 rules, it's never difficult to stick to whatever my caloric goal is.

There's no real secret; I don't cheat because I choose not to.