How do you stick to your calorie goal?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging my whole day every morning helps me stick to my goal.
  • kittyebony
    kittyebony Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    64crayons wrote: »
    kittyebony wrote: »

My BMR is about 1500, if I eat 1200 calories/day I'll burn about 300 calories/day leaving me with a net 3,500 calories burned/week, meaning I'll burn 1 pound/week that way garaunteed. I'd actually like to lose 2 pounds/week, but 1200's a start. I've lost weight on a diet with far fewer calories than this, just can't seem to get back into that mindset lately.

Um? 300/day x 7 days = 2100 (not 3500)

Are you exercising or burning any additional calories at all?

OP I think you are confused between BMR and TDEE. Your BMR is the calories you need to sustain yourself just by laying in bed all day doing nothing, like if you were in a comma. If 1500 calories is your BMR and not your TDEE, then you are eating far too little assuming you're logging accurately. Like other posters have said pick a calorie goal less aggressive and more sustainable.

1. Yes, sorry, I did my math wrong (late at night). But it really just proves that 1200 calories a day isn't really that low.
    2. Yes, 1500 calories is my BMR, I know exactly what BMR is.
    3. Yes, I both exercise and walk between classes (city campus) etc. on the regular.
    4. 1200 calories is pretty standard for what health professionals recommend and I've eaten far less than this in the past, not exactly sure what the issue is.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 cal and lose 3# a month. Except for this time of year, I do great and pre-log. This time of year I'm drowning in gifts of candy and cookies, parties and dinners. It's so tough that my goal for December has been to maintain. I might eat 1000 calories over one day, then be great for the rest of the week. I didn't change my calories but am happy just to have made it from Thanksgiving to Christmas with a few yummy candy days, a few parties, but no weight gain. I'm also exercising more to help burn off some calories and feel better on "bad" days. I'd recommend you just hold at 1500 then go back to 1200 after the holidays. It's a lot more fun and overall less stressful (now that I know it works that is!).
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    2 pounds per week is probably unrealistic if your BMR is actually 1500. If you're exercising at all, you'd lose weight eating 1500-1800.
  • CubicalF13
    CubicalF13 Posts: 263 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Split up my meals into 4 a day, Drank more water, soups, cutting down on sugary foods, and eating some protein and carbs in every meal. Body adjusted accordingly after about 1 to 2 weeks. But mostly a mental challenge. You have to want to change for the better. Taking photos, logging regularly, eating in smaller plates at the dinner table and measuring food on a scale can help you stay focused.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

My BMR is about 1500, if I eat 1200 calories/day I'll burn about 300 calories/day leaving me with a net 3,500 calories burned/week, meaning I'll burn 1 pound/week that way garaunteed. I'd actually like to lose 2 pounds/week, but 1200's a start. I've lost weight on a diet with far fewer calories than this, just can't seem to get back into that mindset lately.

OP I think you are confused between BMR and TDEE. Your BMR is the calories you need to sustain yourself just by laying in bed all day doing nothing, like if you were in a comma. If 1500 calories is your BMR and not your TDEE, then you are eating far too little assuming you're logging accurately. Like other posters have said pick a calorie goal less aggressive and more sustainable.

1. Yes, sorry, I did my math wrong (late at night). But it really just proves that 1200 calories a day isn't really that low.
    3. Yes, I both exercise and walk between classes (city campus) etc. on the regular.
    4. 1200 calories is pretty standard for what health professionals recommend and I've eaten far less than this in the past, not exactly sure what the issue is.

Well since you posted this, the issue would be that you are having trouble sticking to your calorie goal and eating a few hundred over. Just because you've eaten less in the past doesn't mean 1200 calories should be easy. With a BMR of 1500 calories a day you must be quite tall, I doubt many health professionals would recommend 1200 calories a day for someone of your height and age.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

You don't know what the issue is... *looks at your first post*

Ok...