Getting Motivated to Workout Everyday

Options
2»

Replies

• lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Pick goals for yourself and work towards them at every session. Can't do a pushup? Then do kneeling pushups until you can. When you reach that milestone, you set a new goal. You could do this with exercises, weights, or time spent running/walking/jumping rope. Once you get a taste of accomplishment and improving yourself little by little, it'll be hard to stop you from working out.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been really good with the food potion of losing weight, but really want to get in the habit of working out everyday. Thoughts on how to get started and motivated? It's harder for me to do it in the morning, but that's really the only time I have for it.

One thing to consider is how you get to work or school each day ... can you make that part of your workout?

For example, I take the bus, but I have to walk a minimum of 1 km/day in addition to that. And quite often I get off the bus early to make it a bit longer. That's not much, but it is a start to incorporate daily activity into your life.

• nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I found joining classpass really helped me. I really enjoy doing different things and I've gone from someone who hates exercise and finds it boring to someone who works out 5x a week. Varied music playlists helps me too. Now working out is the main time I listen to music and I clear about an hour a week to run and listen to new tunes.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I started working out before I loved it. I am not allowed to put food in my mouth until I have walked my 5k's....that got me out of bed every morning!

I'm now about 5-6 weeks in and have added strength training. I am now enjoying the walking and waiting for the lifting to become enjoyable.

Sometimes it takes time before you enjoy it.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I also vote baby steps. I think it makes it easier to stick to. I started out working out 3 days a week and eventually moved up to 4, and really 4x a week is as much as I have averaged for the past several years. I don't think you need to work out every day and I don't think it's realistic that most people will stick to exercising 7 days a week.

Like others said, motivation is fleeting. 95% of the time you just have to go to the gym even when your brain wants to do literally anything else. It's kind of like going to work- you just have to do it. Once it becomes a habit, it does become much easier.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options

& sometimes you never really get to enjoy it.

I have been doing it every day for the past 3 years, but I honestly can not say that I truly enjoy it. I know I have to do it, and part of the motivation for getting out of bed and going to the gym very early, is because I know I will be done for the day. Plus, I will NEVER go back to where I was before 3/12/12, that is very strong motivation.
  • ash_law
    ash_law Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    To echo what everyone else has said - find something that doesn't feel like it is some chore you HAVE to do. For me, running every day sounds awful. If I told myself I HAD to do it, it would never be anything beyond a chore. But powerlifting? It is not just a chore to me - I love it and I look forward to learning more about it and beating my own personal records. I compete in meets and get excited to train for those. It is a hobby that happens to keep me active, not a chore. When you find that thing that you love and changes your mindset from "I HAVE to do this" to "I LOVE this and WANT to do this," you won't have any issues finding that motivation, I promise.
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    People who work out regularly don't have more time, they have priorities.

Couldnt agree more!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

& sometimes you never really get to enjoy it.

I have been doing it every day for the past 3 years, but I honestly can not say that I truly enjoy it. I know I have to do it, and part of the motivation for getting out of bed and going to the gym very early, is because I know I will be done for the day. Plus, I will NEVER go back to where I was before 3/12/12, that is very strong motivation.

am with you. so when people say find something you enjoy i would still be searching
    but i dont want to go back so keep at it.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    People who work out regularly don't have more time, they have priorities.

Couldnt agree more!

i agree with it now, didnt before ha.
    i used to say i didnt have time but i work from home everyday.
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    @Therealobi1 it is so true! I would always have the excuse that I didn't have time to workout, until I faced my reality and realized that I made time every night to watch t.v. and sit on the computer for an hour, or more, on Facebook. After that realization, I decided that it was up to me to make the time and stop making excuses.

@DeservingGirl just like others have said, it has to be you wanting to start working out. It seems like you already are on the right track with your food in-take! I think if you make a schedule and stick to it, you will be able to do it. Honestly, I find my diet is harder to stay committed too then working out :p

"A year is going to go by no matter what. It's what you do within that year, with that time, that makes a difference."

I remind myself that a week is going to go by, and after that week I will either have lost weight, gained weight, or stayed the same. It's what I do within that week that decides the outcome
  • BPCycler
    BPCycler Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you want to do something, you'll do it. Otherwise, nothing will help motivation. Sorry about that. Choose something you love doing.

Research shows that people who use the excuse that they don't have time, have the most trouble. People who work out regularly don't have more time, they have priorities.

I wish the forums had a like button or thumbs up

• slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Why everyday?
    Doing something everyday can help build the habit of exercising. It could be as simple as walking a mile everyday. Once the habit is established slowly adding in more exercise is relatively easy. Baby steps as you said.

This. I workout every weekday before work. Even if I am really sore from lifting, I go in and do elliptical or just a slow walk on the treadmill. If only to keep myself in the habit. Its part of my daily routine so its not a big deal and I don't need motiviation. I just do it.