Peanut butter problems

Options
13»

Replies

• 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I lived on peanut butter growing up. If our school would have had a no peanut butter sandwich rule due to allergies I would have been even thinner than I was already growing up because I ate a peanut butter and butter sandwich every single day until sixth grade. That being said, I am not addicted so much to it anymore because my tastes have expanded (I was quite the finicky child). Now I can't keep Nutella in the house- love that stuff. I could eat it straight out of the jar!
    My whole family was on it... my brother and I took PB&J to school every day, and my father took it to work. Nobody ever wanted anything different. We must have polished off cases of the stuff every year. I don't think I ever saw my mother eating it, but maybe that was because after making all those sandwiches she couldn't stand the sight of it anymore.

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I eat powdered peanut butter with my kids grape gogurt and it tastes peanut butter and jelly yogurt. It's amazing.
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If the problem is just portion control, would it help to buy individual packets of peanut butter? For example, Justin's brand has individual squeeze packs of peanut butter, 1 packet = 190 calories. Still high, but much easier to fit into a lower-calorie day.

Somehow having pre-measured single serving containers makes stopping at one serving much easier for me.

I sometimes buy individual cups of hummus and guacamole. PB isn't an issue for me, but I could easily eat a whole big container of hummus!
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    13bbird13 wrote: »
    I lived on peanut butter growing up. If our school would have had a no peanut butter sandwich rule due to allergies I would have been even thinner than I was already growing up because I ate a peanut butter and butter sandwich every single day until sixth grade. That being said, I am not addicted so much to it anymore because my tastes have expanded (I was quite the finicky child). Now I can't keep Nutella in the house- love that stuff. I could eat it straight out of the jar!
    My whole family was on it... my brother and I took PB&J to school every day, and my father took it to work. Nobody ever wanted anything different. We must have polished off cases of the stuff every year. I don't think I ever saw my mother eating it, but maybe that was because after making all those sandwiches she couldn't stand the sight of it anymore.

I was a huge PB&J girl growing up too. I could eat it all day, errr'day! I'm so glad we didn't have the no PB rule in schools when I was a kid. I would have been a stick!
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I adore peanut butter. I would marry it if it was a person. Peanut butter fangirl for life. Glad you can keep it in your life without drowning yourself in it. If I wasn't determined with my current eating plan I would have dove into my jar at home. I can polish off a jar in two days if I'm really stressed. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your thoughts... I didn't realize peanut butter could negatively affect my digestive system I'll have to look into it!

Horrible, agonising, doubling-over, hard-to-breathe cramps ... immense bloating ... urgent sprints to the toilet ... nausea ...

What puzzles me is why it took so long to a) figure out that's not normal; and b) figure out it was the peanuts, peanut butter, and peas. That family of legumes.

Life is has been much nicer without them over the past couple decades. :)

• steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    One serving of PB2 = 55 calories, one serving of regular peanut butter = 190 calories.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I have pb problem too. Til I can control it I don't buy it once I feel I can be in control I can have 1 tbsp in a smoothie or banana roll 1x a day and that helps get that pb fix and feel satisfied. I do not leave it in my sight and hide it. Out of sight out of mind! I'd eat a large jar in a day or two my hubby would get so mad
  • JoshGouvisis
    JoshGouvisis Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My all time weakness!!! Oh Reese's peanut butter cups, why were you created to bring me down lol!! Sorry for this, but you know what's the best. The actual Reeses's peanut butter. I found it for sale in a business Costco. One jar was $10.00!! I was so tempted.... then I slapped myself lol
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    Peanut butter!! I can't help you since I smear it on top of a Brownie every night for dessert. If I wasn't counting calories I'd be in serious trouble with peanut butter. I use to add it to oatmeal, Smoothies, etc, until I started weighing my foods and realizing the calorie count. Now I'm down to once a day lol.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Good- it causes cancer anyway (Alfotoxin). Almond butter is much better!